New Machine Build First DIY Router design - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: First DIY Router design

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: First DIY Router design

A few recent posts on the CNC Drive forum have suggested that you shouldn't try to run the UC300 over Wifi.

For testing, yes, I've had the USB-RS-485 converter pluggged into my laptop. When I get my machine finished, I'll be using a serial port on the PC, as I won't be using a laptop to control the machine.

I think that the limit switches may be disabled during Homing by UCCNC, but I'm not sure. And I don't know how you would change it, or if you even can?

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ok, thanks for sharing, I guess I'll buy a long ethernet cable then :P

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    I think that the limit switches may be disabled during Homing by UCCNC, but I'm not sure. And I don't know how you would change it, or if you even can?
    Yes, when running my homing sequence the limit switches are disabled. I guess I'll ask the support of CNCDrive if it is possible to activate them.
    To get around the problem I could add a switch to the limit switches and put them in series as E-stops. That would solve the problem with not being able to move the axis is it hits a limitswitch. As shown in the picture.
    But it would be sweet to get it all working properly if possible.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails First DIY Router design-switches-png  

Downloads
    Uploads

Why do you need your limit switches active while homing?
    The reason that it works like it does, is because most people use their limit switches as their home switches.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Well, basically just a safety thing. If I start homing while the proximity (homing) switches are activated it does not stop and would try to push something through the wall.
    I thought it would be nice to have, just to add an extra safety.

Downloads
    Uploads

There is a limit switch override function for that purpose.

https://www.youtube.com/c/AdaptingCamera/videos
    https://adapting-camera.blogspot.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks, A_Camera, I'll look into it!

I also have to give a shout out to Fred on BST automation. I requested a quote from him about rails and screws, and he answered me today, on new years eve, at 11:38 pm. Amazed at their service mindedness.
    We westerners sure have to step our game up or we're quickly through...

I ended up with 15mm BLH rails, flanged carriages, and 10mm lead screws. It was too cheap not no go with them instead of Hiwin. Let's hope the quality is good enough.
    Anyhow, I will put my order tomorrow for rails, screws and some additional items, hopefully, they will arrive by January 15th! A good start for 2018

Happy new years!

Last edited by nikdan; 01-01-2018 at 10:37 AM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Long time no see!
    January has been busy with a lot of work and plans to buy a house. Combined with delayed shipping from China I haven't been able to spend to much time on the CNC.
    I'm still waiting on a few bearing but have managed to assemble the Z axis and are now working on the gantry.

I've encountered a few minor mistakes I've done in CAD but most have been quickly fixed. I also underestimated the benefit of slightly larger holes...
    My biggest fear, still, is the tramming and making everything linear.
    Unless something major changes in my life (like buying a house), I hope to be done by March!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails First DIY Router design-img_0302-jpg   First DIY Router design-img_0304-jpg   First DIY Router design-img_0325-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Time to get this thread alive again.

It's not that I haven't done much on the CNC, I've built, changed and improved a lot since I posted the last time, however, it's been a slow process and not a lot to see.
    I thought I'd update you on where I am now and what my plan is to do.

The CNC is almost completely assembled with everything but the dust shoe, vacuum hose, and table. Since last time the electronics are installed, everything but the limit switches for Y. Which ironically was the only thing that's not in the CAD... Typical.
    Gantry being bolted together and squared. Cable chains installed, limit switches set as emergency stops in case it loses its position and the soft limits do not work (Not really necessary but it has already saved me).
    I had to flip the X lead screw since I accidentally flipped the Z-plate while countersinking for bolt heads during manufacturing. Did not realize it until I slammed into the bearing quite hard (whops).

Currently, I'm trying to install a table. It's made of MDF and I would like it to be used as a vacuum table as well. I've cut some kind of labyrinth for the suction to work and boxes to be used for bolting down.
    The labyrinth is currently being varnished 3 times to seal the MDF and keep vacuum better.
    I've also bought a 3D printer I would like to try to incorporate into this CNC later, but first for all small parts that are so much fast just print overnight. Bought a small Tevo Tarantula for 200$ incl. shipping.
    Included is the ability to print flex materials so I might do some sealings or similar, we'll see. I will also print the dust shoe, couplings, mounting plates, claiming stuff and such.

By not trying to maximize the speed of the machine too much I have set it up running roughly 590 ipm (250mm/s, 15m/min...). with an acceleration of 1500 units/s^2 (?).
    While cutting the table I used a 2flute 19mm cutter. 8 mm depth of cut, 18 mm overlap with the spindle speed of 7500 and feed at 6900. It worked wonders!
    I've never been cutting wood before so I'm lacking any rule of thumb of feeds, so I've been using Gwizard for cutting data and it's been working quite nicely.

First run with lower ipm. Probably around 300. You can also see how badly the table is shaking. I had to reinforce it before cutting anything!

Problems:
    - I did a small program and had an issue with Z dropping lower while running. I re-assembled the motor-screw connection, lowered acceleration and set the stepper driver to 'Full current', which means it does not go to 50% power mode if it does not move in 0.5s. No problem has occurred since but I'm still not sure if it's good.
    - Dust. Dust everywhere. Since I haven't built a dust shoe its now dust everywhere. I recommend you do this before any milling at all. Especially if you have the CNC in your apartment :P
    - I made square blocks and got the thickness correct in Y but not in X. Trying to figure out if there's any backlash, the screw is not properly set in the bearings or similar.
    - The MDF board is breaking as I try to install the "Rampamuff". Will try to reinstall them after I've put on the top MDF. Picture below of a "rampamuff":

Next up:
    - Fixing the table and test vacuum.
    - Installing the 'rampamuf' without destroying the MDF will be the biggest issue.
    - 3D printing a dust shoe
    - Installing the vacuum hose for the dust shoe to the cable chains which will follow all the way down. Will be 3D printing fixators.
    - Finding a good bucket for my cyclone separator and making it work. There's a LOT of dust for just a small job, it will cost you tons of money to buy bags or filters for the shop vac, cyclone separator will remove all that. And for 30$ from China I had to buy it.
    - Fixing X accuracy/precision. Aligning X/Y axis.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails First DIY Router design-rampamuff-jpg   First DIY Router design-img_0342-jpg   First DIY Router design-img_0343-jpg   First DIY Router design-img_0345-jpg  

First DIY Router design-img_0416-jpg   First DIY Router design-img_0436-jpg   First DIY Router design-img_0447-jpg   First DIY Router design-img_0451-jpg  

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123