Making some Aluminum Clamps

Thread: Making some Aluminum Clamps

Default Making some Aluminum Clamps

I like using wooden clamps on my KRMx02. They are very forgiving and I have hit them several times with a tool without damage to the tool. (The clamp didn't do so well)
    Sometimes you need a little more clamping power. I mill a lot of aluminum on my KRMx02 and wooden clamps are just not sufficient to hold my vise.

Here is a little vid of me designing and making the clamps.

A full write up with drawings, and Gcode can be found here:
    Making an Aluminum Clamp — Kronos Robotics

Similar Threads:
    Author of: The CNC Construction Set Books, the KRMx01, KRMx02, KRmc01, and KRmf70 CNC Books, the HANS Electric gear clock book. All available at www.kronosrobotics.com.

Default Re: Making some Aluminum Clamps

I was asked about the Incra Clamps I am using in the video.
    The Incra clamps are very strong, but don't allow alot of flexibility when positioning. When even slightly out of position, than can move the item you are clamping. I have a slot every inch on my table and its just slightly too much for the amount of positioning the clamp allows.

The slot in the clamps I made is 2.7" long so it lets me place the mounting T-nut in several positions to get the best holding leverage.

The Incra clamps don't have a lip which makes them ineffective at holding the stock laterally. While holding it firmly against the table it is relying on friction to keep it from moving from side to side. By adding the small lip at the end of the clamp, I can keep the stock from sliding with the use of two clamps on opposite sides of the stock (or one clamp and a fence).

I have watched my share of aluminum milling videos and the following three tasks must be performed when milling aluminum or similar materials.

• Chip Clearing
    • Tool Cooling
    • Lubrication

Holding your part is equally important.

Author of: The CNC Construction Set Books, the KRMx01, KRMx02, KRmc01, and KRmf70 CNC Books, the HANS Electric gear clock book. All available at www.kronosrobotics.com.

Downloads
    Uploads

What kind of coolant are you using ?

Its just some generic water soulable stuff I got off amazon. I dont really use it as a coolant though. I am using it as a lube. There is another tube that is blowing air. It keeps the chips cleared and keeps things cool. I have links to the exact lube on the write up.

Notice that I only spray just a little on the part. Its not quite MQL, but Im working on that.