Advise needed

Thread: Advise needed

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Advise needed

Hi everyone,

I just finished building my third CNC router, but this time am having issue cutting the correct sizes , (I.E I had job that is 116 cm h * 25cm w) the part came out 114 cm * 23.5 cm , I re-did the calibration and cant see any issues also the gcode seems correct too. what else should I check ?

Thanks in advance,
    Islam

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Advise needed

Do you have more details?

What cutter diameter? Does your CAM manage tool compensation? Could it be flexing?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Biggs427 View Post
    Do you have more details?

What cutter diameter? Does your CAM manage tool compensation? Could it be flexing?
    Thank you for your reply!
    -The bit diameter is 4mm
    -yes it does, am using artcam 2011 I know it's not the best choice but this is the only program I currently have.
    -you mean I can play around with tool diameter in the programe ? Yes it allows me

Downloads
    Uploads

If you manually jog the machine for 100mm, is it actually 100mm?

It could be missed steps also.

Downloads
    Uploads

For issues like this it is a good idea to take the CAM software right out of the equation. Instead craft some G-Code to move you axises a prices amount and then look for deviation from the expected values. You will need good calipers or preferably micrometers. The idea here is to displace an axis a fixed amount, Say 25mm, then 50 and maybe even once more to 100mm. The machine saddles should move precisely the amounts specified (within leadscrew and component accuracy). If you aren't making the distance, each time, then you need to work through calibration figuring out steps per mm. If you make distance in one move and not another you need to consider a mechanical issue someplace, possibly excessive backlash.

Ideally you want to zero in on the axis causing the problem, in this case though it appears that you have a problem on both axis so you will need to write software to slew both axises for testing. Don't dismiss the possibility that you have an issue with the mechanical mounting of the spindle as this could explain errors on both axis.

By the way the idea behind writing your own G-Code is to keep it as simple as possible so that you understand completely what should be happening each step of the way. Running in small steps and then measuring where you are for each step helps with determining if you have a lead issue, a backlash issue or other problems.