Concept Design for a new 6-axis router - take your best shot! - Page 5

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Thread: Concept Design for a new 6-axis router - take your best shot!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Concept Design for a new 6-axis router - take your best shot!

Thanks for the explanation Louie.

awerby, I'm assuming your Z axis assembly will weigh a few hundred pounds at least? So that's why I was asking about the Z axis screw wearing out if you don't counterbalance it pneumatically. I don't know if it's a concern. Like I said, I don't see you being able to avoid a pneumatic counterbalance on this.

300 IPM with good acceleration on the Z axis you'll need to size the components correctly. Also the approximate length of the screw would be good to know, I forgot that last time, if you want me to do some math for you on it. You may need to use a lower pitched screw with a belt reduction for the Z axis servo at the end of the day.

Are any of the harmonic drives you have flanged output? That would make it easier obviously to do the 5th and 6th axis.

I've been playing around on CAD for the past few days, tinkering with some ideas about a 5 axis machine, but I didn't come up with anything worthy of sharing .

How big are the parts you want to make? I was thinking perhaps 30" by 6.5' and you could make a lifesized sculpture of yourself . (Or even someone good looking )

The best way to not get smacked by a robot arm would be to tape off an area outside of it's reach. But you're right, it could be scary if it went berzerk! Could break some bones no doubt.

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

I was figuring the Z axis assembly weight at about 150 lbs; I plan to make the 5th/6th axis parts out of aluminum mostly. Most of the weight will be from the actuator I'll be using for Z; it has a 1" pitch ball screw and is about 3 feet long total; the travel is about 30 inches. I was resigned to counterbalancing it with gas springs, but was hoping I wouldn't have to use live pneumatics, since I'd rather not have to run the compressor that much. And yes, I figured I'd use belt reduction on the servo that runs it, if I don't come up with the right harmonic drive. The ones I've got have a flange on one side, but just a 10mm shaft with a through-hole to move the axis.

I'll mostly be carving long skinny things on this machine, like decorative columns. Not short fat things like me...

Andrew Werby
    Website

Downloads
    Uploads

I use live pneumatics on my mill counterbalance and the air usage is zero, well there may be leaks, but the operation requires no air after initial charging. I use a 5 gallon reservoir (Harbor Freight portable air tank) tee'd off of the air cylinder downstream of the regulator.

I haven't needed a counterbalance on the router, but my screw pitch is less than yours.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post

I'll mostly be carving long skinny things on this machine, like decorative columns. Not short fat things like me...

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345