Working with Aluminum Blog

Thread: Working with Aluminum Blog

Default Working with Aluminum Blog

I just started a "Working with Aluminum" web blog. The ideal is to experiment with feeds/speeds/ and bits and log some videos along the way. These experiments are done on my KRMx02 CNC Router, so they do not apply to milling machines.

They can be found here:
    Working with Aluminum — Kronos Robotics

I am up to number 8 on the blog. This is an ongoing project and have several ideas in mind. Please feel free to let me know if you want to see something.

I also try to do a small video for each. Here is #1

Similar Threads:
    Author of: The CNC Construction Set Books, the KRMx01, KRMx02, KRmc01, and KRmf70 CNC Books, the HANS Electric gear clock book. All available at www.kronosrobotics.com.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Working with Aluminum Blog

Nice Aluminum engraving machine. It seems that there is no tool marks. What the spindle power and drive motor of this CNC router?

The spindle is an inexpensive 2.2Kv that was part of a VFD kit. I have added links to the "Working with Aluminum" blog, but have a more thorough writeup on the spindles and VFD's here:
    Spindle Introduction — Kronos Robotics

The quality of the milling is not just the spindle, its the rigidity of the machine and technique used.

Here is an example showing that in "Working with Aluminum #8". I am doing some pretty aggressive cutting that would certainly leave marks and create off sized holes. What is key, is the finish pass. Its done at a slower feed and cuts the full depth of the part.

Author of: The CNC Construction Set Books, the KRMx01, KRMx02, KRmc01, and KRmf70 CNC Books, the HANS Electric gear clock book. All available at www.kronosrobotics.com.

Downloads
    Uploads

Here`s my share on working T6 aluminum I know some of you guys here knows this part for sure, practice on wood takes 25 minutes, actual aluminum took 1 hour 13 minutes, 24K RPM 4 flute 6mm ordinary end mill, carbide bits for wood is also very good in T6 aluminum material, for the stainless steel versions, a whooping 4 hours and 10 minutes work time on our current machine, chinese 6040 1.5KW watercooled spindle, non ATC, 4 inch chinese vise bolted directly on the table. the critical part is the set-up and the zeroing of the material I guess. but on a custom CAM anything is possible

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Working with Aluminum Blog-20170801_100327-jpg   Working with Aluminum Blog-20170801_165204-jpg   Working with Aluminum Blog-20170801_165309-jpg  

I received a couple emails asking about the swarf shield I was using.

The first one was made from foam board, and worked very well, so I wanted to make a more durable version.

Same design as the original but using corrugated plastic (plastic cardboard).

Working with Aluminum Blog-_mg_7339-jpg

I did a write-up on the shield here:
    KRMx02 Swarf Shield