Need Help! OX CNC not cutting correctly

Thread: OX CNC not cutting correctly

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default OX CNC not cutting correctly

Hi,

I have build an OX CNC and I cant get it to cut the model correctly.

An example of something I have tried to cut is attached along with the GCODE file.

The letters were created in Illustrator and imported into Fusion 360 to extrude and create the toolpath. I have saved it as generic grbl.

The simulation is fine and when I open in in bCNC it also looks fine. While machining bCNC preview window shows it machining correctly but its not. It pauses and starts to run lines through my model.

I am using Audrino Uno with CNC Sheild, running GRBL.

This is getting really frustraiting and any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

Michael

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails OX CNC not cutting correctly-20170724_121347-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: OX CNC not cutting correctly

Autodesk also do "Artcam", its a bit simpler to use. Maybe give that a try for your first try cutting

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I just tried Artcam 2018 half an hour ago and I have a simular issue, also the Z Axis cuts right down into the stock material so deep the axis can move.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails OX CNC not cutting correctly-20170724_132612-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Can you post your sample G-code here?

Downloads
    Uploads

Missed step? If you do a dry run without actually cutting, does it follow the right tool path?

It could also be a lead-in/out problem. Which toolpath are you using in F360? Pocket, contour, engrave?

Downloads
    Uploads

Kinda looks like a lose of Z position. I'd try adjusting your acceleration and max velocity for Z to see what happens. This could also be a mechanical issue.

As someone mentioned above try cutting air and see if your axises all return to the same position at the end of the run.

Downloads
    Uploads

Might look stupid, but are you certain the collet holds the cutter correctly? It happened to me when collet wasn't tight enough. Holding wasn't good enough and since the cutter was an upcut one, it was pulled out of the collet.

At the end of the job, re-home your machine and then measure the tool lenght offset. If it's not the same, recheck your collet.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Biggs427 View Post
    Missed step? If you do a dry run without actually cutting, does it follow the right tool path?

It could also be a lead-in/out problem. Which toolpath are you using in F360? Pocket, contour, engrave?

Hi,

I think it is missed step. I have figured out that the z axis is ok. Its because it steps down another 2mm for second pass but isn't following the correct toolpath and therefore cutting at 4mm.

The X axis seems fine but the Y is loosing it's position.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I there a way of attaching the file, there are a lot of lines.OX CNC not cutting correctly-gcode-jpg

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have created an E to machine in Artcam 2018, attached is the screen shot of what it should look like. In fusion 360 I was using contour. I don't think that the G-Code is the problem.

As you can see from the video it seems to pause but the toolpath preview in bCNC carries on. The line it cuts through the middle should be back at the top 2mm deeper.

Could it be the drivers shutting down, pots need turning up/down etc? I have read some stuff about this.

Also there is a link to a video of it machining, so that you can see what it is doing.

OX CNC not cutting correctly-e-jpg

OX CNC not cutting correctly-20170726_140633-jpg

Last edited by mreitt; 07-26-2017 at 01:06 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mreitt View Post
    I have created an E to machine in Artcam 2018, attached is the screen shot of what it should look like. In fusion 360 I was using contour. I don't think that the G-Code is the problem.

As you can see from the video it seems to pause but the toolpath preview in bCNC carries on. The line it cuts through the middle should be back at the top 2mm deeper.

Could it be the drivers shutting down, pots need turning up/down etc? I have read some stuff about this.

Also there is a link to a video of it machining, so that you can see what it is doing.

OX CNC not cutting correctly-e-jpg

OX CNC not cutting correctly-20170726_140633-jpg
    Did you sort this out? Did you try cutting a similar shape and see if same movements go wrong?

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

By just watching on your video clearly your problem is not in the software, it`s in your hardware, your Y axis ball screw getting stuck that`s why it` s missing the route path, sometimes it could be just miss aligned ball screw mechanism (Not Smooth), ball screw got bent during shipping, all the way down to a just a simple dust accumulation on the ball screw itself, try to open your ball screws, clean it if it`s dirty, lubricate it with baby oil or cooking oil, not the thicker oil (learned my mistakes) lubricating it with gear oil tends to attract more dust particles to stick to the ball screw then stuck again in a short period of time.

Edit: sometimes it could be your machine calibration, (steps/min on XYZ) wrong setting on these could result to a low torque stepper motors, the moment it encounters harder curve or harder material on the route path it tends to miss it resulting to shortcut routing due to it`s less torque.