CNC router build

Page 1 of 24 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: CNC router build

ericks

Default CNC router build

Hi everyone. I have been thinking of building a "better" version of my current 6040 Chinese CNC router.
    I basically do wood, plastic, rubber, brass and aluminium on my current machine. Obviously due to rigidity and design flaws my machine handles only 0.2mm runs
    on aluminium. Otherwise its very good, i have rebuilt the electronic controls and installed a Kress router.

Anyway i have been thinking of doing this build for a long time. Due to my poor cad skills i am unable to draw up a nice 3d model.
    I would really appreciate some input on my design ideas.

If i can mill aluminium at 0.5 to possibly 1mm runs then it would be great.

My current machine is similar to this one...
    What i found to be the major problem is the open pillow blocks on my machine's y-axis.

Here is what i have come up with thus far...

1) Clamping area 1200 mm x 850 mm.
    2) 80 x 80 mm Aluminium profile for frame and table
    3) Two 1610 ball screws for y-axis
    4) Four HGH25CA linear blocks for y-axis
    5) 20 mm side plates/brackets
    6) 25 mm (unsupported) round shaft for x-axis
    7) four linear bearings for x-axis.
    8) Additional 25 mm shaft added for rigidity of the x-axis
    9) 1605 ball screw on x-axis
    10) 1605 ball screw on z-axis
    11) 16 mm unsupported round shaft on z-axis
    12) Four linear bearings on z-axis
    12) Nema 23 stepper motors

Please feel free to comment

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CNC router build-6040-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: CNC router build

I'd go with 20mm rails and 1610 ballscrews on both X and Y.
    discounted automation products: BLH Linear Guideway, BLH 20mm Linear Guideways

And 15 or 20mm rails for the Z axis.
    discounted automation products: BLH Linear Guideway, BLH 15mm Linear Guideways

Take a look at this thread for some ideas:
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/diy-cn...28752-cnc.html

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

ericks

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    I'd go with 20mm rails and 1610 ballscrews on both X and Y.
    discounted automation products: BLH Linear Guideway, BLH 20mm Linear Guideways

And 15 or 20mm rails for the Z axis.
    discounted automation products: BLH Linear Guideway, BLH 15mm Linear Guideways

Take a look at this thread for some ideas:
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/diy-cn...28752-cnc.html

Thank you Gerry

Downloads
    Uploads

What is a 0,5 or 1mm RUN?

The diameter of the cutter, depth of cut, step over and oyher parameters are all a factor here.

In any event it looks like you are about to build a machine that will be notably pooer performance wise!
    First you dont want to be using unsupported rails in this sort of machine.

Second things like gantry supports should be box sections to increase stiffness.

Third The gantry beam needs to be large. 80 mm extrusions may work for the table frame but id prefer a much larger bean for the gantry. Your gantry will have to span close to one meter, while not as big as some DIY builds it is enough to be concerened about machine rigidity. Gantrys are a common weak link in DIY designs so i would focus a lot of attrnyion on this area.

Fourth unsupported rails generally should be considered a no no in DIY machine designs. Ive seen slide assemlied that might be suitable for a light duty machine , on the Z Axis, but most home shops simply aren't equiped to work to such high precision. You are far better off in a DIY design too use profile rails. Unsupported rails should never be used on the longe axises, there are better approaches that frankly dont impact costs much.

Notes:

Your current mahine is apparently not meeting your expectations. If this is the case it doesnt make any sense to build a new machine with a poorer design. Unsupported rails are just a bad idea. If you want satisfaction with the new machine keep your expectations at hand when designing or selecting a design. Write them down on paper.

Read the stickies here as there are good threads where things like gantry design are covered. Go through some of the calculations to make sure your design comes close to your expectations. If you dont want to do the math at least get an understanding how the gantry components work together

I dont see the point in building a machine that is somewhat better than the one you got. It isnt even clear that the materials listed woild even lead to a somewhat better machine. If you are unhappy with your current machine then adrees its shortcomings with a much more robust design. Sometimes going the robust route often has little impact on the overall cost, supported rails or profile rails being one example.

Always consider steel as a way to control costs. Yes it can be heavy but it is also available in a number of tubular sections that give you a weight savings while remaining stiff.

ericks

Wizard.....i really appreciate your input on this. That is the reason i posted on this forum, to get advise like this. I took Gerry's advise and started changing my design....The RUN is depth of cut
    My initial design did have supported rail on the y-axis.

Would it be okay if i use (2x) 40 x 40 extrusions for the gantry beam. I will add a 20 mm plate behind for additional rigidity??

Thanks

ericks

Had a chat with a mate who's also looking at building a machine. He got me curious cause he is building one with a fixed gantry....Does anyone have any information about this type of design??

Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi, my 2 cents worth as I'm not into gantry routers but mills.........I'd only consider a moving table CNC router in the 6040 size as you can make the frame side supports pretty hefty to increase rigidity that a moving gantry lacks in that area........I'd also only consider steel tube for a build and all welded too.

To completer the wish list.......profiled linear rails not SBR rounded type.

The table would have tapped holes not tee slots.......just my opinion.

Steel is heavy which is good for vibration damping and rigidity and can be welded much more simply, whereas aluminium is too complicated to consider anything but a bolted mode.

The Chinese CNC routers are relatively cheap because they are made by the hundreds to specific cut sizes without having to cut and try in the build.

In the end, all CNC routers follow the same design it's just the fixing that alters.

A 6040 "look alike" DIY build with improved characteristics will cost you twice as much as the original bought item and not give you more bang for the buck....and you will not get paid for your labour/time input.
    Ian.

ericks

Quote Originally Posted by handlewanker View Post
    Hi, my 2 cents worth as I'm not into gantry routers but mills.........I'd only consider a moving table CNC router in the 6040 size as you can make the frame side supports pretty hefty to increase rigidity that a moving gantry lacks in that area........I'd also only consider steel tube for a build and all welded too.

To completer the wish list.......profiled linear rails not SBR rounded type.

The table would have tapped holes not tee slots.......just my opinion.

Steel is heavy which is good for vibration damping and rigidity and can be welded much more simply, whereas aluminium is too complicated to consider anything but a bolted mode.

The Chinese CNC routers are relatively cheap because they are made by the hundreds to specific cut sizes without having to cut and try in the build.

In the end, all CNC routers follow the same design it's just the fixing that alters.

A 6040 "look alike" DIY build with improved characteristics will cost you twice as much as the original bought item and not give you more bang for the buck....and you will not get paid for your labour/time input.
    Ian.
    Thanks Ian....he is going to make a rigid steel unit. Basically i have decided to make mine that way too. I looked at a guy's machine on youtube, steel unit, he mill's mild steel too.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi....rigid steel unit?.......is that a fixed gantry type?.....lets have a sketch.

Here's a pic of my favourite design type.
    Ian.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CNC router build-toolcrafter-fixed-gantry-router-jpg  

ericks

Hi....rigid steel unit?.......is that a fixed gantry type?.....lets have a sketch.

Here's a pic of my favourite design type.
    Ian.
    Yes, a steel unit with a fixed gantry

Downloads
    Uploads

As the others said...
    For milling, it is called a double-column mill, and is how all or almost all really Big industrial machines are made, think 10-20 m in size.

Mine (milling steel, VMC, large) is actually the same double-column design, *mostly* through experimentation, full-time, 13 years.
    And some industrial education from the industrial-production folks who make cnc machines as their only business.

The bigger you make the columns, the better, the skin can be thin, most-especially for a router.

Do not worry about mass, heavier is better, a tiny nema 23 stepper of 3Nm at 48 V DC, with chinese 2M542 drivers (55€) moved my previous table, 200 kg, very easily.
    With 1:3 belt drive, HTD 5/15 mm, 16:48 teeth.

My current "best" VMC column, of 1600 mm table span, is == 700 kg in mass, going up-down = z axis.
    I will add compressed-air pistons at both ends, to reduce load, of whatever capacity is finally needed in the vertical z axis direction.

Drives are ac servos, tiny, 400W, 1.27 / 3.8 Nm peak, 1.27 Nm constant torque, iirc.
    At 1:3, approx 600 kgf push force.

Bigger columns are vastly more stiff - and cost about the same, since they can use thinner skins.
    I did this 4 times, and now my 5th time the columns are 25 x 40 cm in section size (10-20 mm skin thickness, in steel).

You wont need anything like that, I am just pointing out that experience, time, experiments, have proven that the best solution is thin-skin structures, preferably stressed-skin- thin-skin structures like all modern machines.
    Most-All modern machines are stressed (preloaded) thin-skin structures, loaded at max to == 2% of their breaking load.

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm getting way behind on these threads, too much OverTime and too many summer projects.

Quote Originally Posted by ericks View Post
    Had a chat with a mate who's also looking at building a machine. He got me curious cause he is building one with a fixed gantry....Does anyone have any information about this type of design??

Thanks
    Here is my take on building a fixed gantry mill vs a moving gantry mill:
    1. A fixed gantry mill by design is going to be a bit longer that a moving gantry mill. How mcuh depends upon the specific designs you are considering. Oftne the difference is a wash due to movign gantry designs often requiring clearance all around the machine. In any event make sure your design will fit in the area you intend to install it.
    2. Personally I see moving table /fixed gantry designs as easier to build and far more likely to maintian alignment. Either approach will require that you obrtain suiitably accurate machinist tools to align the machines (squares, dial test indicators, gage stands and the like)
    3. Depending upon the approach you take for a moving table deisng you can drive the table from the center without too much problem. You need to be careful here as some designs do not engineer the spacing of the linear bearings correctly for the table to be driven this way. This can save you a lead screw, motor and accessories required for dual lead screw solutions.
    4. Frankly stationary gantry, moving table designs are very popular with industry on bigger machinery. The design leads to very stiff machines as opposed to trying to cnatilever a milling head. You will see this apporach in planner mills, large grinders, very large "vertical" mills and other tooling.
    5. Antoher nice feature is few moving part, expecially the need for drag chains. Less moving parts means fewer failures for flexure in cables and plumbing.
    6. Simialr to above you only need to worry aobut the dust extraction hose moving in one axis. This assumes you are doing stuff that generates rust.
    7. in any even for a given dollar amount I see the fixed gantry machines as being stiffer and more suitable for a wider array of usage. The biggest negative is the larger size which is sometimes overstated.
    8. By the way if yo so desire and take the time to engineer the solution you can mount an axis on both sides of the gantry beam fairly easy. This would give you two different heads to work with.
    9. In theory a fixed gantry machine makes implementing an automatic tool changer a bit easier. You just make the Y axis a bit longer to run the head over to a tool changing area.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi, I quite agree with the moving table design as it can be made more sturdy especially if you want to get ambitious and do a bit of steel milling.

I hypothesised with a different aspect ratio design for the table size, as the table Y axis length does make the base twice as long as the table due to spindle coverage etc..

Taking a 6040 for example.....in a moving gantry design the table is narrow ....400mm wide and passes under the gantry, but with a moving table type the base would be 1.2 metres long to allow the table to traverse it's 600mm length.

You could make the table Y axis the 400mm width and make the X axis the 600mm length which means the X axis crossbeam has to be only a bit over the 600mm wide to allow the spindle to move over the table length sideways.

If the 600mm table length does not pass between the gantry uprights the head has to stick out a long way from the X axis face to cover the 400mm table width.

So, as the uprights and crossbeam can be massive, it would be practical to allow the table to move a short distance under the crossbeam but not necessarily all the way as in a moving gantry type......this would reduce the spindle stick out from the X axis face quite a bit.

At no time would you want a long job to overhang the table sides.....it can overhang on the 400mm width as that is now the Y axis.

I think a table rapid travel in a 400mm Y axis can be a lot quicker than the corresponding normal 600mm table length......it's unconventional, but could be practical to keep the base length more compact.
    Ian.

Downloads
    Uploads

What i found to be the major problem is the open pillow blocks on my machine's y-axis.
    If your machine is similar to the one in the pictures than your problem is not the pillow blocks, unless you have some with manufacturing issues or badly aligned. The problem is most probably the fact that it is a moving gantry design. I am using similar supported round rods with open end pillow blocks and have absolutely no problems at all, get very high speed and accuracy and very happy with it. The big difference is that I decided to build a fixed gantry, moving table type of machine, not what is most popular, the moving gantry type, which is more difficult to align, difficult to get the speed and accuracy right and is easy to get gantry vibrations and misalignment with.

Here is what i have come up with thus far...

1) Clamping area 1200 mm x 850 mm.
    2) 80 x 80 mm Aluminium profile for frame and table
    3) Two 1610 ball screws for y-axis
    4) Four HGH25CA linear blocks for y-axis
    5) 20 mm side plates/brackets
    6) 25 mm (unsupported) round shaft for x-axis
    7) four linear bearings for x-axis.
    8) Additional 25 mm shaft added for rigidity of the x-axis
    9) 1605 ball screw on x-axis
    10) 1605 ball screw on z-axis
    11) 16 mm unsupported round shaft on z-axis
    12) Four linear bearings on z-axis
    12) Nema 23 stepper motors
    The above parts list is fine, with a few exceptions.

Don't use ANY unsupported round rods (items 6 and 11). Why do you think that 25mm unsupported round shafts will be better than 16mm supported ones? They are NOT better.
    What is the item 8 exactly do and where is it located? I don't understand that and the purpose of it.

Consider moving table fixed gantry design, and also remember that slaved motors can be a problem as well, they might cause the same sort of issue with accuracy unless you have very accurate ball screws and nuts. I am using 1605 on all three axes and have only one on the Y also, which is my table. My frame is build mainly with 45x90 and used 30x60 for some parts. Also already now make a decision about the electrical parts, driver and controller software. Talking about electrical parts... I'd replace the Kress with a real VFD controlled spindle Even an air cooled 1.5kW would do better than that Kress, which really is only a high quality angle grinder. Even if you are not willing to throw it away, design the Z so that one day when you decide to get a real spindle you could easily install it. The Z is the most important part of a machine. If you get it right half of the battle is won, but the Z includes the spindle as well.

If you want to have a look at my specifications you can visit this post:

https://adapting-camera.blogspot.se/...nt-status.html

I don't have a real build log, but on my blog you can find many posts regarding my building progress.

https://www.youtube.com/c/AdaptingCamera/videos
    https://adapting-camera.blogspot.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi, I quite agree with the moving table design as it can be made more sturdy especially if you want to get ambitious and do a bit of steel milling.

I hypothesised with a different aspect ratio design for the table size, as the table Y axis length does make the base twice as long as the table due to spindle coverage etc..

Taking a 6040 for example.....in a moving gantry design the table is narrow ....400mm wide and passes under the gantry, but with a moving table type the base would be 1.2 metres long to allow the table to traverse it's 600mm length.

You could make the table Y axis the 400mm width and make the X axis the 600mm length which means the X axis crossbeam has to be only a bit over the 600mm wide to allow the spindle to move over the table length sideways.

If the 600mm table length does not pass between the gantry uprights the head has to stick out a long way from the X axis face to cover the 400mm table width.

So, as the uprights and crossbeam can be massive, it would be practical to allow the table to move a short distance under the crossbeam but not necessarily all the way as in a moving gantry type......this would reduce the spindle stick out from the X axis face quite a bit.

At no time would you want a long job to overhang the table sides.....it can overhang on the 400mm width as that is now the Y axis.

I think a table rapid travel in a 400mm Y axis can be a lot quicker than the corresponding normal 600mm table length......it's unconventional, but could be practical to keep the base length more compact.
    Ian.
    I agree that it is better to have the X as 600mm and Y as 400mm long and that the gantry beam should go over the longer part of the table in this case.

On the other hand, if the table is needs to be moved 600mm the machine will require MORE than 1200mm floor space. My work area is 300x250mm and the total floor area the machine takes is 750x650mm, including all the extruding parts, like steppers and frame. But it is important to note that even a moving gantry type of machine with a work area of 600x400mm would require more than 600x400mm floor space. Generally I think that a moving table type of machine requires about 1/3 more space than a moving gantry type, but as been pointed out, a moving table type has some advantages also.

https://www.youtube.com/c/AdaptingCamera/videos
    https://adapting-camera.blogspot.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Have a look at these vids. he covers a lot of cancepts and mistakes. The secret is what tools you have in your workshop,

Also for Z axis plate https://us.misumi-ec.com/vona2/detail/110300540610/ Basically design around the components and then build a frame to hold it all in place. stiffness is your friend regarding tool load and mass will need bigger drive motors.
    Paul

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm going to be completely heretical here......the biggest draw back of any gantry type CNC router is the Z axis clearance under the crossbeam.......too low and you won't machine jobs with vices etc.....too high and you have the cantilevered forces of the cutter acting on the X axis cross beam to twist it or flex the Z axis hung down slides etc.

So, if you have two vertical side members that are massive in cross section....why not mount linear rails on them and raise and lower the complete X axis assembly instead of just the Z axis.

This will give you a solid mounted saddle on the X axis slides that does not have to stick out as much or hang down at it's lowest travel like the conventional Z axis does.

I worked on planer mills back in the 60's and they were of this construction

This configuration is like a column mill but with two columns either side of the table.

A conventional column mill has one column and the head moves up and down on it and has to stick out far enough to cover the width of the table when close to the column.

I propose to have two ball screws, one on each column side, to drive the cross beam up and down with gas struts to counter the cross beam and spindle weight.

The hollow head casing would have an integral 3/4 HP 3 phase 3,500 rpm motor speed controlled with a VFD and a 2 step Poly vee belt drive to give a speed range of 0 to 7,000 rpm.

I've already done a rough sketch feasibility study to see if the configuration would be practical.

It would be wide to cover the 600mm table length X axis move, but also more compact for the 400mm Y axis move.
    Ian.

Downloads
    Uploads

Downloads
    Uploads

LOL........thanks, nothing is new under the Sun.....the twin linear rail Z axis concept is a winner I think even though the design is a moving gantry type.....looks pretty impressive.......peck drilling might be a problem for small drills etc.
    Ian.

ericks

I appreciate every single bit of advise from everybody

Page 1 of 24 123411 ... LastLast