Stepper Size Recommendation

Thread: Stepper Size Recommendation

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Stepper Size Recommendation

I finally have my machine about finished. Started @ 15 years ago (life got in the way).
    It's all steel. I had enough sitting around to do it and I can weld and machine it. Travel is 24"X 12"Y 6"Z plus an extra 1/2-1" for good measure.
    X uprights and X cross brace underneath for ball screw block are 11 gauge broke to 1x6 & 1x4 channel with some ladder bracing & pads welded in.
    X upright to linear bearing is 1/4x4 bar with machined pads bolted to bearing blocks.
    The Y cross tube is 2x3x1/8 with 2x1/4 angle welded on top and bottom machined flat and straight edged for supported rail.
    I know my big mistake was opening up back of tubing for ball screw & nut travel but it was to keep chips off screw.
    Z main block is same 2x3x1/8 tubing with 2x1/4 angle milled like Y.

Other details

Rails
    X 25mm home made supported 38" long
    Y 16mm supported 21" long
    Z 16mm supported 14" long

Bearing Block Spacing
    X 13" outside-outside 17" center-center rail
    Y 8" outside-outside @ 6" center-center rail
    Z 7 1/2" outside-outside @ 6" center-center rail

Ball screws all 1610

Weight with out spindle
    X 80lbs+
    Y 40lbs
    Z 10lbs

Spindle will be china 2.5kw vfd water cooled for quicker up and going. I drew up a cat20 atc spindle but that will be on down the road.

I know its light weight materials for steel but its what I came up with way back when before I knew about the Zone.
    Back to stepper size question, with this info can you make a recommendation.
    Plane is to do 3d wood & plastic at 100+ ipm. Would like 200+ ipm rapids. That would only be 508rpm witch should be easy from everything I have read here.
    Going to use air cyl & tank for Z counter balance. X weight is my main concern with changing direction rapidly doing 3d.
    I was thinking @ 400oz nema 23 with ebay dm556 and 48v power supply. I have several of old pc that have decent lattence with LinuxCNC.

I will get some more up to date photos soon

Thanks for any advise
    Tim