Probotix Nebula vs CNC Router Parts CRP4848 - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Probotix Nebula vs CNC Router Parts CRP4848

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Probotix Nebula vs CNC Router Parts CRP4848

Don't FLA have gantry made of steel now? My memory might plays me tricks but I think I've seen it pass in the FLA section.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Biggs427 View Post
    Don't FLA have gantry made of steel now? My memory might plays me tricks but I think I've seen it pass in the FLA section.
    Yes the new models are steel , as well as some other upgrades

I don't actually know anything about CNC router tables , but I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night

Downloads
    Uploads

I didn't realize the gantry was now made of steel tubing too. Seems like a really nice kit at that pricepoint if all of the QC issues have been worked out, though personally I think I would kick myself for not getting something larger (I'm still tinkering along with my own DIY 2'x4' machine)

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by DG_TX View Post
    In that case, if I only stick with wood projects does the difference in rigidity between a pro and standard make that much of a difference to warrant the cost difference?
    Yes. And in addition to the increased rigidity, you'll also get much smoother motion.
    Also, the rails on the standard are not very tolerant of dust on the rails, with many users reporting binding if dust gets on the rails. The linear bearings on the Pro are unaffected by dust and chips on the rails.
    And the linear bearings on the Pro will last a lifetime.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Does CNC Router Parts run any promotions / sales at any point during the year? If I decide to proceed with the pro, I might be moving outside my financial comfort zone.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by manofmanyhats View Post
    This is a MUCH better machine than the other 2 you're considering OP. It will be orders of magnitude more rigid and capable of running without adjustment for quite some time. They also currently have a 25% off sale on this machine with free shipping. I don't think you're going to find anything that competes with it, short of looking at the used industrial market and waiting for the right machine to come along. The CNCRP PRO line is also very nice, but the FLA Saturn is likely considerably more rigid, as it has a welded steel frame.
    To also follow up on a comment that manofmanyhats wrote regarding the difference between the CNC RP and FLA models. How often will I have to make adjustments on a pro CNC RP model? Are we talking about the frame/gantry? Excuse my ignorance, but I assumed once you have it setup and aligned after installation, it would not need any further scheduled attention.

Downloads
    Uploads

Does CNC Router Parts run any promotions / sales at any point during the year? If I decide to proceed with the pro, I might be moving outside my financial comfort zone.
    Well I've visited there site practically every day for three years , and I haven't seen any promos . I would like to get the 4x4 Pro version myself. But I was going to build the electronics, as I really believe there plug and play Nema 34 system is a bit overpriced for what you get?

Unfortunately, with the exchange rate on the Canada dollar , our 14%tax , shipping and duty , the price is close to double by the time it's on my door step

for ****s and giggles , I put the spindle , plug and play Nema 34 , and a 4x4 Pro version in the cart . I found a site that does all the conversions for me , and when it was done the cost was over 16K .
    That's a lot for a hobby imo . But then again , I know guys who have 30K tied up in there sleds

I don't actually know anything about CNC router tables , but I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yea, the cost really adds up quick when selecting all the bells and whistles.

Does anyone have any recommendations on a spindle and VFD that doesn't break the bank but also is relatively easy plug and play? Is the $1,600 spindle combo on the CNC router parts site worth it?

Downloads
    Uploads

Yea, the cost really adds up quick when selecting all the bells and whistles.

Does anyone have any recommendations on a spindle and VFD that doesn't break the bank but also is relatively easy plug and play? Is the $1,600 spindle combo on the CNC router parts site worth it?
    A member on this site uses this one on eBay , and a Hitachi VFD for his Saturn from FLA , and David has had no issues. I want to use the same when the time comes .

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by MajorTendonitis View Post
    A member on this site uses this one on eBay , and a Hitachi VFD for his Saturn from FLA , and David has had no issues. I want to use the same when the time comes .
    I'm not seeing the link to the ebay ad you are referring to.

Downloads
    Uploads

TOP QUALITY 3KW WATER-COOLED MOTOR SPINDLE ENGRAVING MILL GRIND | eBay

Sorry about that.
    There has been issues with cheap Chinese VFDs , so David recommends spending a bit more and going with the Hitachi . Apparently cheap ones may cause noise issues with the other electronics

https://www.driveswarehouse.com/wj200-022sf-2527

Downloads
    Uploads

Now that I've bought a "cheap chinese vfd", I can say that I'd buy one again, at close to 1/3 the price of a Hitachi.
    It's not perfect, and has fewer features, but it runs the spindle just fine.
    All VFD's are noisy, and proper wiring and shielding is essential, regardless of brand.

My only recommendation is to only buy ones labeled as "Genuine Huanyang", and preferably from an Ebay seller that's been selling them for a long time. I bought mine from Solar Jean, who's been selling them for well over 5 years.

HUAN YANG 1.5KW,2.2KW,3KW,4KW,5.5KW,7.5KW VARIABLE FREQUENCY DRIVE INVERTER VFD | eBay

Offer them $130 and they'll knock a few bucks off the price.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    Now that I've bought a "cheap chinese vfd", I can say that I'd buy one again, at close to 1/3 the price of a Hitachi.
    All VFD's are noisy, and proper wiring and shielding is essential, regardless of brand.

My only recommendation is to only buy ones labeled as "Genuine Huanyang", and preferably from an Ebay seller that's been selling them for a long time. I bought mine from Solar Jean, who's been selling them for well over 5 years.

HUAN YANG 1.5KW,2.2KW,3KW,4KW,5.5KW,7.5KW VARIABLE FREQUENCY DRIVE INVERTER VFD | eBay

I'm going to mount my vfd in a separate enclosure simular to what cncrp does , hopefully providing additional insurance . Each to his own of course.

Gerald I know you've got a lot of experience , so when the time comes ,I was going to build around what you recommend.
    I just try and play it safe sometimes . Comes with being a hypochondriac

Last edited by MajorTendonitis; 06-18-2017 at 02:14 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post

Gerald, I found the below ebay link for a spindle/vfd combo from Solar Jean. Although the description states the VFD is Huanyang, I cannot determine if the spindle is as well.
    2.2KW WATER COOLED MOTOR SPINDLE & DRIVE INVERTER VFD 80MM DIAMETER WITH HY | eBay
    Do you feel it is a good deal or would it be better/safer for me to purchase the Huanyang VFD only from your original ebay link HUAN YANG 1.5KW,2.2KW,3KW,4KW,5.5KW,7.5KW VARIABLE FREQUENCY DRIVE INVERTER VFD | eBay
    and the Huanyang spindle from MajorTendonitis' link TOP QUALITY 3KW WATER-COOLED MOTOR SPINDLE ENGRAVING MILL GRIND | eBay

Downloads
    Uploads

Huanyang doesn't make the spindles, and I think they come from a variety of sources. I bought the cheapest spindles I could find, and they seem to work fine.
    If you want water cooled, I doubt you'll find a better deal than that one.

Not that major's link is to a 3Kw spindle, and I was talking about a 2.2Kw spindle. You need to make sure you get the appropriate sized VFD for the spindle you buy.
    A 3kw spindle needs a 3Kw VFD.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Update: I have placed an order with Probotix for their Nebula model. I have also purchased their spindle/VFD combo, z-puck, dust boot, threaded insert table grid, and monitor/keyboard control arm.

After doing a bit more research, I feel this one will work best for me at this price point. I also greatly prefer the plug and play feature it offers. Len at Probotix has been very helpful throughout the process as well.

Very excited to get started with my first CNC. I'll post up some pics once it arrives in the next 2 - 3 weeks.

Downloads
    Uploads

Update: I have placed an order with Probotix for their Nebula model. I have also purchased their spindle/VFD combo, z-puck, dust boot, threaded insert table grid, and monitor/keyboard control arm.

After doing a bit more research, I feel this one will work best for me at this price point. I also greatly prefer the plug and play feature it offers. Len at Probotix has been very helpful throughout the process as well.

Very excited to get started with my first CNC. I'll post up some pics once it arrives in the next 2 - 3 weeks.
    Congrats . Looking forward to seeing your future review

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12