New Machine Build D.I.Y C.N.C router aluminum extrusions ( All Suggestions Are welcome )

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: D.I.Y C.N.C router aluminum extrusions ( All Suggestions Are welcome )

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default D.I.Y C.N.C router aluminum extrusions ( All Suggestions Are welcome )

Hi every one
    I plane to build my second D.I.Y C.N.C
    the Machine I Plane to Work With MDF LEXSAN .... etc and I hope It will by Strong enough to work with aluminum
    Machine Size 1300X800X150mm
    for aluminum extrusions Size 60X60
    Motor X , Y Nema 34
    For Z Not Select yet
    ball screw RM1605
    Rail
    X : railsSBR16 With nut housing SBR16LUU
    Y : railsSBR16 With nut housing SBR16uu
    Z Not Select yet

All Suggestions Are welcome

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails D.I.Y C.N.C router  aluminum extrusions ( All Suggestions Are welcome  )-4-jpg   D.I.Y C.N.C router  aluminum extrusions ( All Suggestions Are welcome  )-1-jpg   D.I.Y C.N.C router  aluminum extrusions ( All Suggestions Are welcome  )-3-jpg   D.I.Y C.N.C router  aluminum extrusions ( All Suggestions Are welcome  )-2-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: D.I.Y C.N.C router aluminum extrusions ( All Suggestions Are welcome )

photo for aluminum extrusions
    D.I.Y C.N.C router  aluminum extrusions ( All Suggestions Are welcome  )-2017-06-13-13-55-22-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: D.I.Y C.N.C router aluminum extrusions ( All Suggestions Are welcome )

Once you start talking about doing Aluminum you need to think far more robust machine design. Id discourage round rails and Aluminum extrusions.

If you insist on extrusions id suggest the largest you can find for the gantry. Ideally the gantry would be a large square steel beam. In either case you need to look closely at the vertical supports for the gantry beam, flat playes dont cut it unless they are very thick.

A hybrid approach would be a steel gantry beam assembly riding on top of an Aluminum framed machine. This is a workable solution that addresses the common weak point in a routers design. That weak point is often the gantry / z axis.

Note that much of the above depends upon your expectations. If doing aluminum means engraving to you then you might get by with a low end approach. However if your idea of doing Aluminum is similar to other sheet goods id seriousl lean to a more robust machine.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by wizard View Post
    Once you start talking about doing Aluminum you need to think far more robust machine design. Id discourage round rails and Aluminum extrusions.

If you insist on extrusions id suggest the largest you can find for the gantry. Ideally the gantry would be a large square steel beam. In either case you need to look closely at the vertical supports for the gantry beam, flat playes dont cut it unless they are very thick.

A hybrid approach would be a steel gantry beam assembly riding on top of an Aluminum framed machine. This is a workable solution that addresses the common weak point in a routers design. That weak point is often the gantry / z axis.

Note that much of the above depends upon your expectations. If doing aluminum means engraving to you then you might get by with a low end approach. However if your idea of doing Aluminum is similar to other sheet goods id seriousl lean to a more robust machine.
    Thanks for your advise
    1- the machine i'm already start work with aluminum extrusions
    2- I'm still thinking about z axis all axis are first I put round rails in my design then I read alot of review about round rails and most people was not too much happy with it so I decided to use Linear Rail Guide entil now it's OK
    then I read If I want the Z axis rigid There is Double Nut Ball Screw then I now If I put Bigger Size of Ball Screw it will better so I still Confused About The Z axis

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Some Update
    The Sheet Metal For Y axes Just for Test Because I Still Waiting for SBR16LUU
    D.I.Y C.N.C router  aluminum extrusions ( All Suggestions Are welcome  )-2017-06-13-12-36-39-jpg
    D.I.Y C.N.C router  aluminum extrusions ( All Suggestions Are welcome  )-2017-06-13-12-36-33-jpg
    D.I.Y C.N.C router  aluminum extrusions ( All Suggestions Are welcome  )-2017-06-13-12-36-05-jpg
    D.I.Y C.N.C router  aluminum extrusions ( All Suggestions Are welcome  )-2017-06-13-12-37-10-jpg
    D.I.Y C.N.C router  aluminum extrusions ( All Suggestions Are welcome  )-2017-06-13-12-37-26-jpg
    D.I.Y C.N.C router  aluminum extrusions ( All Suggestions Are welcome  )-2017-06-13-12-36-18-jpg
    D.I.Y C.N.C router  aluminum extrusions ( All Suggestions Are welcome  )-2017-06-14-13-29-36-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by yamanmax View Post
    Thanks for your advise
    1- the machine i'm already start work with aluminum extrusions
    OK
    2- I'm still thinking about z axis all axis are first I put round rails in my design then I read alot of review about round rails and most people was not too much happy with it so I decided to use Linear Rail Guide entil now it's OK
    I'm not wedded to the use of profile rials, round rails can be useful in a proper design and if the builder understands their limitations. At some point though it just makes sense to use the more robust solution which Is profile rails.

What you need to be careful about is that the rails are long enough to meet you work area requirements. Your design seems to constrain the saddle movements which might be a problem. Basically you need enough travel to cover your expected work area with the largest cutter you intend to use. That means you need to account for the saddle widths. Right now your Y axis seems to be especially constrained.

then I read If I want the Z axis rigid There is Double Nut Ball Screw then I now If I put Bigger Size of Ball Screw it will better so I still Confused About The Z axis
    Double nuts are one way to eliminate backlash in a mechanical system. Generally you want to get as near to zero backlash as possible. On the other hand larger diameter lead screws address stiffness needs which is another matter altogether.

Downloads
    Uploads

Just a quick thought and comment on your design / build.

The side plates appear to be very thin - almost looks like galvanized sheetmetal in the photo. Without additional framing, these side panels, which support everything above the table are a prime area of problems. They simply would not be stiff enough to provide rigidity for anything above basic engraving. The side loads (along the 800 mm axis) would cause substantial flexing on those panels.

Seeing that X axis is 1300mm I have a rough idea of the scale of the machine. In my opinion, you should be using about 13mm thick aluminum plate. I have a machine similar in size with 10mm side plates on the gantry and it is marginal at best for heaving cutting in hardwoods, have not attempted milling aluminum yet.

Chris D

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Chris D View Post
    Just a quick thought and comment on your design / build.

The side plates appear to be very thin - almost looks like galvanized sheetmetal in the photo. Without additional framing, these side panels, which support everything above the table are a prime area of problems. They simply would not be stiff enough to provide rigidity for anything above basic engraving. The side loads (along the 800 mm axis) would cause substantial flexing on those panels.

Seeing that X axis is 1300mm I have a rough idea of the scale of the machine. In my opinion, you should be using about 13mm thick aluminum plate. I have a machine similar in size with 10mm side plates on the gantry and it is marginal at best for heaving cutting in hardwoods, have not attempted milling aluminum yet.

Chris D
    thanks for your quick replay
    yes you are correct it's sheet metal galvanized 2 mm because as I mentioned in last post

( The Sheet Metal For Y axes Just for Test Because I Still Waiting for SBR16LUU)
    I will put Aluminium plate 6061 25.4 mm THK

Downloads
    Uploads

Ah, very good!!!! Beyond that, your design looks robust, it should be a good performer.

Chris D

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The table Legs has arrived from China
    Now I Can start work With Table

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails D.I.Y C.N.C router  aluminum extrusions ( All Suggestions Are welcome  )-2017-07-02-15-52-08-jpg   D.I.Y C.N.C router  aluminum extrusions ( All Suggestions Are welcome  )-2017-07-02-15-52-16-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

table adjust leg after I make the Plate and attache with the table

D.I.Y C.N.C router  aluminum extrusions ( All Suggestions Are welcome  )-2017-07-13-14-51-32-jpg
    D.I.Y C.N.C router  aluminum extrusions ( All Suggestions Are welcome  )-2017-07-13-14-51-36-jpg
    for legs I bought from alibaba
    https://yava.en.alibaba.com/?spm=a27...394.0.0.kBNUD5
    The model Number DGT100-20100 price 10$ without Shipping

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

New Update for Y Axis

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails D.I.Y C.N.C router  aluminum extrusions ( All Suggestions Are welcome  )-2017-07-26-18-58-28-jpg   D.I.Y C.N.C router  aluminum extrusions ( All Suggestions Are welcome  )-2017-07-26-18-58-48-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Some Update

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails D.I.Y C.N.C router  aluminum extrusions ( All Suggestions Are welcome  )-2017-09-10-18-25-08-jpg   D.I.Y C.N.C router  aluminum extrusions ( All Suggestions Are welcome  )-2017-09-10-18-25-18-jpg   D.I.Y C.N.C router  aluminum extrusions ( All Suggestions Are welcome  )-2017-09-10-18-25-39-jpg   D.I.Y C.N.C router  aluminum extrusions ( All Suggestions Are welcome  )-2017-09-10-18-25-51-jpg  

D.I.Y C.N.C router  aluminum extrusions ( All Suggestions Are welcome  )-2017-09-10-18-25-58-jpg   D.I.Y C.N.C router  aluminum extrusions ( All Suggestions Are welcome  )-2017-09-10-18-25-30-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: D.I.Y C.N.C router aluminum extrusions

finally finished the mechanical Part

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails D.I.Y C.N.C router  aluminum extrusions ( All Suggestions Are welcome  )-2017-09-30-15-56-57-jpg   D.I.Y C.N.C router  aluminum extrusions ( All Suggestions Are welcome  )-2017-09-30-15-56-52-jpg   D.I.Y C.N.C router  aluminum extrusions ( All Suggestions Are welcome  )-2017-09-30-15-56-47-jpg  

Looking forward to some video of it running!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

wow, thats a lot of reinforcement extrusion and plates in the frame of this thing. 30mm Hiwins are going to be overkill on your Z too, so you should have no issues with aluminum once your gantry plates are made from 1/2" or more aluminum instead of sheet metal.

Luthier/Woodworker/Machinist in NS, Canada.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by jahnj0584 View Post
    wow, thats a lot of reinforcement extrusion and plates in the frame of this thing. 30mm Hiwins are going to be overkill on your Z too, so you should have no issues with aluminum once your gantry plates are made from 1/2" or more aluminum instead of sheet metal.
    I'm still not sure until I test it
    but I hope so

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by fretman_2 View Post
    Looking forward to some video of it running!
    SURE

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

cable chain finally arrived .
    now I can work with the control unit

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails D.I.Y C.N.C router  aluminum extrusions ( All Suggestions Are welcome  )-2017-11-02-16-03-07-jpg   D.I.Y C.N.C router  aluminum extrusions ( All Suggestions Are welcome  )-2017-11-02-16-02-59-jpg   D.I.Y C.N.C router  aluminum extrusions ( All Suggestions Are welcome  )-2017-11-02-16-03-18-jpg   D.I.Y C.N.C router  aluminum extrusions ( All Suggestions Are welcome  )-2017-11-02-16-04-57-jpg  

D.I.Y C.N.C router  aluminum extrusions ( All Suggestions Are welcome  )-2017-11-02-16-03-27-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by yamanmax View Post
    cable chain finally arrived .
    now I can work with the control unit

NICE!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast