Software to transfer your gantry carriage plate design to vector - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Software to transfer your gantry carriage plate design to vector

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Software to transfer your gantry carriage plate design to vector

Fusion 360. Its free for hobbyist. Lots of tutorials on YouTube to help you learn how to use it. I find the basic 2D aspects pretty easy to learn and I designed a basic adapter plate that was just some hole patterns and rectangles. I imagine it was similar to what you want to draw. Draw you part then save it in DXF format and you can use a different CAM program if you want.

Its a very comprehensive design -CAM program. I cant believe they offer a free license.

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

If the part is relatively simple, why not hand-code it? A sheet of graph paper and an hour of your time...

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by 1Jumper10 View Post
    Fusion 360. Its free for hobbyist. Lots of tutorials on YouTube to help you learn how to use it. I find the basic 2D aspects pretty easy to learn and I designed a basic adapter plate that was just some hole patterns and rectangles. I imagine it was similar to what you want to draw. Draw you part then save it in DXF format and you can use a different CAM program if you want.

Its a very comprehensive design -CAM program. I cant believe they offer a free license.
    +1

I've worked with Sketchup, DraftSight, SolidWorks, F360, Autocad and the most complete package is F360.

You got 2D, 3D, CAM in the same program which is good.

The 2D is not as good as what DraftSight could do, but the learning curve, at least to me, was steeper with DraftSight.

The 3D module is more complete in SolidWorks, but the price is prohibitive and the features offered by F360 are more than enough for any hobbyist.

As for the CAM package, to me, it is the best solution (especially for the price lol). You can do pretty cool stuff with it.

The idea of doing the code by hand is also a very good one for simple design.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I occasionally look at forums where the Autodesk business model is not viewed favourably in case they suddenly switch to a subscription service and make your CAD work inaccessible unless you pay up.It may never happen but.... You could generate a shape using Inkscape and export a .dxf version as most CAM programs will cope with these and there are a few free downloads such as dxf2cnc which will generate G-code for your machine,but you may want to run the outline cut at several depths if you machine is doubtful for cutting in one go.There is also the option of downloading Draft Sight which is free and a clone of Autocad LT or if you can deal with the challenge,you might try Freecad which will allow you to design and then generate G-code for your machine.Be warned,it is not easy to comprehend,but it is hugely powerful-and free.

Downloads
    Uploads

I occasionally look at forums where the Autodesk business model is not viewed favourably in case they suddenly switch to a subscription service and make your CAD work inaccessible unless you pay up
    All Autodesk software is now subscription based. It also allows you to save your work on your own PC. I believe that Fusion 360 is the only one that saves to the cloud, but it also allows you to back up your models to your own PC, in a variety of formats.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by routalot View Post
    I occasionally look at forums where the Autodesk business model is not viewed favourably in case they suddenly switch to a subscription service and make your CAD work inaccessible unless you pay up.It may never happen but.... You could generate a shape using Inkscape and export a .dxf version as most CAM programs will cope with these and there are a few free downloads such as dxf2cnc which will generate G-code for your machine,but you may want to run the outline cut at several depths if you machine is doubtful for cutting in one go.There is also the option of downloading Draft Sight which is free and a clone of Autocad LT or if you can deal with the challenge,you might try Freecad which will allow you to design and then generate G-code for your machine.Be warned,it is not easy to comprehend,but it is hugely powerful-and free.
    Not many things in this world absolutely free (except maybe some elevator and escalator rides) and I never really got a chance to read the EULA in its entirety. That said, I tend to stay away from any cloud-based or subscription-based software, but that's just me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12