SuperPID worth it or not? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SuperPID worth it or not?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: SuperPID worth it or not?

Quote Originally Posted by Devastator View Post
    FWIW, If I replaced my whole router every time a bearing went out I'd be on on router #21 right now.
    What's the life span of a bearing set on your router? Are your jobs running for long periods? Do you take aggressive cuts? I'm trying to figure out what I do wrong.

I was curious and just checked all the jobs I generated in the last three months and I was genrerous with the 50hrs or run time it's more like 25-30. Most of the jobs I run are 10-20 min then I stop the router. The longest job was last week and was a little less than one hour.

I tried to have replacement bearing but the customer service line at Canadian Tire kept telling me to send the router to a service center for repair under warranty.

I took a chance at the store directly and they took the router back and gave me a new one but I don't think I'm going to reinstall it. I am going to try to sell it.

Now I have two scenarios:

1- Buy a Bosch 1617 router as I already have all metric collets since the Mastercraft uses Bosch collets

2- Buy a Spindle + VFD and try to sell the collets I already have in order not to loose too much.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Biggs427 View Post
    What's the life span of a bearing set on your router? Are your jobs running for long periods? Do you take aggressive cuts? I'm trying to figure out what I do wrong.
    I'm replacing mine four times per year, so every three months. My jobs are never heavy cuts because my machine rigidity is low. Light cuts, but long run times, sometimes up to 14 hours per day. I've found the key to longer bearing life is to keep the RPM's low. I rarely run anything faster than 15K RPM. I'm using a Bosch 1617EVS. Be advised that the lower bearing is not even rated for the maximum RPM the router can achieve. Most routers will eat bearings if you run them flat out max RPM.

I think the reason I get good bearing life is because of the SuperPID. When I just ran it with the stock speed control, it was hard on bearings.

Downloads
    Uploads

Ran my Bosch 1617EVS with a SuperPID for a long while now... maybe 5 years? Replaced the bearings twice in that time span, but cutting everything from engineering foam to wood to aluminum and steel to G10/FR4... I'm pretty hard on my machine. I believe the high-speed toolpaths I've been using for the past 6 years or so now really help.

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm trying to run each jobs at the lowest rpm possible, I rarely spin higher than 18k, usually in the 13k-14k range for wood and 11k for alu. As I don't trust the rigidity of my machine, I tend to run shallower path and higher speed (DOC of 0.125-0.250 for wood and 0.010-0.015 for alu).

Trying to use HSM whenever possible...

Seems like the router I had was probably bad or the model is just not as good as the Bosch or "brand name"...

Thanks both of you for the input!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hard plunging will kill router bearings relatively quickly. It'll do the same to spindles. Ramping in is the way!

Quote Originally Posted by Biggs427 View Post
    I'm trying to run each jobs at the lowest rpm possible, I rarely spin higher than 18k, usually in the 13k-14k range for wood and 11k for alu. As I don't trust the rigidity of my machine, I tend to run shallower path and higher speed (DOC of 0.125-0.250 for wood and 0.010-0.015 for alu).

Trying to use HSM whenever possible...

Seems like the router I had was probably bad or the model is just not as good as the Bosch or "brand name"...

Thanks both of you for the input!

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ericclinedinst View Post
    Hard plunging will kill router bearings relatively quickly. It'll do the same to spindles. Ramping in is the way!
    The better spindles will have 4 bearings, which would be better for plunging. Of course ramping or helixing in is the way to go but not always feasible. Helps to ensure you have an endmill that is center-cutting, as most insert tooling are NOT and must be ramped in...

There are actually high speed plunge milling roughing operations that are used on some harder materials.... but they don't plunge full circumference, rather nibble away...

Downloads
    Uploads

The better spindles will have 4 bearings, which would be better for plunging
    Not sure how a second bearing at the back end helps with plunging, as all the loads in a plunge are absorbed by the front two AC bearings.

There are actually high speed plunge milling roughing operations that are used on some harder materials.... but they don't plunge full circumference, rather nibble away...
    And they are typically used on milling machines, which can handle plunging much better than a router.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    Not sure how a second bearing at the back end helps with plunging, as all the loads in a plunge are absorbed by the front two AC bearings.
    That is, if the front two bearings are indeed AC....

And they are typically used on milling machines, which can handle plunging much better than a router.
    They work on a router fine, as long as the Z is relatively rigid. Again it's only a roughing strategy and there are instances where even on a router it can be useful.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12