bought a used 48" X 48" X 5" used router table - Page 4

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: bought a used 48" X 48" X 5" used router table

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: bought a used 48" X 48" X 5" used router table

NOOO!!! Never 3-in-one!!! Big thumbs down on that! Alvania 2 grease and Tellus 23 oil. Get 'em from Techno in Hicksville NY. The oil is for when you run the machine daily, and the grease is for when you don't. Don't run it unless everything is properly lubed. It doesn't cost much for this stuff and one tub of grease and one pint of oil will go a long, long way.

Downloads
    Uploads

i still have the servos, and at the moment i am keeping the spindle for when i have a proper shop to move the CNC into.
    I went for steppers as i have become intrigued by the sounds they make when working, but i will likely put the servos back on when i can afford to upgrade the drivers. i understand that i could have saved money buying the servo drivers, but like i said, i kind of fell in love with stepper "music".
    I still have the original ISA interface card, but no servo controllers. i have the servo encoder cables (pretty beat up), but no motor cables. so i can at least use those in the future.

as the only space i had available to put the CNC was to modify a camper, i had to reduce my power consumption to what can travel over the power cord (30A 220V). and that includes an air-conditioner. the VFDs i found to fit the spindle required 20A, 220V, and left no room for the A/C (it gets very hot in the camper).

for others following along, i have the new roof on the camper. or at least the rafters, and Advantech sheeting, and a temporary waterproofing layer (tarp). so all that's left is the actual roofing membrane, and finishing up the interior of the camper. things are definitely coming along.
    I apologize for the lack of updates for a while, but i had to get the camper done, before making much more big moves on the CNC itself. it currently works, it self homes (via LinuxCNC), and i can even run a program on it now. as more progress is made, i will update with pictures.

~Travis

Techno Isel Gantry III (?) base machine. EMC/LinuxCNC controller (Mesa 7i80HD-16).
    about 48 X 48 X 5 inch working, Perske 3PH 5HP spindle

Downloads
    Uploads

Been a while since i posted a real update.

today i mounted my router into the machine, and loaded in a cheap Chinese PCB router bit (sharp and pointy, for less drag on the test). then, after homing, and zeroing the machine to the piece of plywood (i used the sheet of paper method to zero the Z-axis), i timidly hit the go button, and delighted as the machine started carving away.

what i learned:

the router is too heavy for the Z-axis, only when it is un-powered (it settles with very little effort).
    perhaps adding a spring to help support the axis in the event of a power failure.

the router is loud in such an enclosed space.
    when i add a sound buffer wall to separate the machine from me, with a viewing window, it should help.

the stepper drivers get fairly warm.
    perhaps adding a fan to the control box will aid in cooling.

all in all, i think the project is coming along fairly well. It was very pleasing to watch the machine working (with hearing protection on, of course).

~Travis

Techno Isel Gantry III (?) base machine. EMC/LinuxCNC controller (Mesa 7i80HD-16).

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm glad you're having fun with your project. +on the hearing protection. Been thinking about taming my beast lately with a spring loaded drag engraving tool.
    Best of luck with that.
    Alex

Downloads
    Uploads

it has been a while since i updated. sorry, i have been busy with other projects. the idea i have come up with to help support the Z axis is to use a double-acting pneumatic cylinder with just enough pressure to take the weight off the axis. it will be interesting to figure out how to mount the ram, but here is how i plan for it to work. I will use a low pressure, high flow regulator to supply air to the ram. so when the CNC moves so that the ram demands more air, it simply flows through the regulator. now the reverse direction is a little interesting. what i need, cheaply, is a back pressure regulator that works off of the supply air, and when the CNC moves the ram in such a way to add pressure to the line, the back pressure regulator bleeds off the air.
    I found this:
    https://www.equilibar.com/back-press.../how-it-works/
    but i am not sure how expensive it would be. i will have to contact them.
    but anyway, i am still working on completing the CNC. though it seems like life keeps getting in the way.
    so still on my ToDo list is to finish the Hall homing sensors, or just give up on those and go with mechanical. I also have to still get some CNC outer bits.
    As for the Camper the CNC is inside of, i still have to finish the roof, or at least tarp it for winter. but that will reduce my chances of being able to work on it through the winter.

~Travis

Downloads
    Uploads

For the air spring, just use a portable air tank T'd into the cylinder. I use about a 5 gallon on mine, The large volume of the tank keeps the pressure pretty constant. Regulators don't really bleed off fast enough to do the job correctly. I picked up my air tank at Harbor Freight for about $30.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

Hmm, interesting idea. I will most definitely give it a try. Thanks

~Travis

Downloads
    Uploads

Most standard air regulators are of the bleeding type. Typically it's about a 5 PSI difference between the regulator setting and where it will bleed (pressure will go up 5 PSI before bleeding if there is back pressure.) Regulators for pressurized gasses such as welding gasses typically are not of the bleeding type (probably wouldn't want to be bleeding acetylene or CO2..)
    I agree with Jim though, probably won't need a very big reservoir for a little cylinder on a router. Might even be able to get away with some large diameter pipe and some fittings. The air volume you're dealing with is only the stroke of the Z axis * pi * (cylinder dia/2)^2. A cubic inch is only about .004 gallons.

Downloads
    Uploads

Sorry for the late reply. I am aware most air regulators are of the bleeding type, but i was concerned about the flow rate they could bleed at.
    but as suggested, i will likely use a small storage tank. as the PSI will be low, i will likely use 3 or 4 inch, sch40 PVC pipe, with a couple of caps on the ends. I will then drill and tap the end caps for threaded bushings, and use liberal amounts of epoxy to seal them in. i will also probably just mount the tank right on the back of the gantry to shorten the hose from it to the cylinder.
    Now, the difficult part will be manufacturing supports for the cylinder, and ram rod. the rod is threaded, with an included jam nut, and the cylinder has no fixture mounts on it. as the Z-axis box is the moving component, there is only a 1/4 steel plate that connects the X-axis to the Z-axis. i will post pictures a bit later today. including pictures of my ram. perhaps more minds will be better than my one in figuring out a solution.
    in regard to my Hall-Effect sensors for limits and homing, it was getting too complicated, and stalling my progress with getting the CNC 100% fully functional. I have purchased these:
    10 pcs Roller Arm Type AC Limit Switch For CNC Mill Laser Plasma ME-8108 USA | eBay
    should be enough for limits at both ends, and separately adjustable home switches. the factory installed limits on my machine are open switches, and since running the machine on some test routes, the dust got into one of the switches, and the next time i homed, the Y-axis crashed. no damage, except my trust in the open switches.
    i love the machine, but my major gripe with the fully enclosed slides and feed screws is that the gantry (X) components are very difficult to get to., and even the Z-axis is a PITA. if i use the machine, or if it sits unused for a bit, i re-lube the machine. so i have to remove the Z-axis to gain access to its slides and screw. the X-axis i have to lube through the tight slot that the moving mounts pass through. the Y-axis is, by comparison, very easy, as it is open under the table. I have considered the idea of cutting a small slot in the top of the gantry to lube, and then screw a plate over it to keep the dust out, but i imagine this could really cut down the strength of the gantry. i am not too crazy about having to remove the Z-axis every time either. seems like this should be upsetting the limit switch calibration by a little bit. maybe i can just drill and tap some holes instead, and then just insert some short bolts to plug the holes.
    but anyway, there is still progress coming along, though at a slower rate, as my budget is getting less and less. i need to get this machine working soon so it can help pay for itself.

~Travis

Downloads
    Uploads

thought i would dredge up my old thread in the spirit of continuity, with a bit of an update.

i haven't done much work on the CNC lately due to a lack of funds available, and a lack of a heater to fend off winter.
    now that spring is thawing things out, my eagerness for progress is re-born.
    I was going to use a air cylinder to take the weight off the Z-axis, to prevent it from settling during a power-failure, or E-stop. but i have ordered a brake for the stepper instead. it was listed to be coming from CA, USA. though it is apparently shipping from Hong Kong. kind of a bait-and-switch, but whatever.
    I still haven't mounted the home/limit switches mentioned above, but the machine is usable, providing i clean the OEM open switches fairly regular.

as for router bits, so far i just have a bunch of 1/8 inch flat nose bits i used for testing. as i progress, i will likely have to pick up others. at the very least, some larger roughing bits.
    At some point i should take some newer updated pictures...

~Travis

Downloads
    Uploads

during my effort to install the AC power sub-panel in my CNC camper (well, my "man cave" ), i was looking at options to move my CNC computer, but leave the control box roughly where it is. the justification was due to the number of cables between the CNC computer and the control box, versus the number of wires between the control box and the CNC. the move would place the computer in a more convenient location, space-wise, but the question i have, is how far can the control signals travel over a DB25 parallel cable before the signal starts to break down? as my breakout-board is opt-isolated on all ins and outs, the load on the parallel port cards should be pretty low. so that leaves signal cross-talk over the distance. how far can i get away with? due to non-direct cable runs, i estimate the needed length to be even as much as 15 feet. i can cut this down a bit, i think, by running the cable across the floor with a cable guard over it.

~Travis

Downloads
    Uploads

15' certainly has the potential to be problematic depending on the quality of the cabling and how fast your step rate is. I would be more worried about missed steps than cross talk I think. With long, non impedance controlled cable runs the cable itself can load the card sending the signals down quite a bit. Also, opto-isolators pull a few milliamps.
    Any chance you can switch to an Ethernet step generator like the smoothstepper or similar? Might not be a bad plan B if the long cable doesn't work out for you.

Downloads
    Uploads

I am using EMC/LinuxCNC, so there is the option of ethernet control, but from what i have seen, they are quite a bit outside of my budget at the moment. i will look into them though. I will also revise my CNC computer location plans. nothing set in stone yet, so nothing lost with the idea.

dang... forgot to take some updated pictures, as stated in #70. oh well. i will be back out there tomorrow, or this weekend.
    I am almost embarrassed to show any pictures of my control box though. spaghetti wires, and all.

~Travis

Downloads
    Uploads

I have put my CNC router up on craigs list, as i seem to have lost interest in it. i don't know how to post here regarding selling a machine, without it being labeled as spam. so i will just say this, PM me if you are near Maine, USA.

~Travis

Downloads
    Uploads

Hmmm, nobody? the price is cheap, and it works. though, it needs somebody to complete it.

~Travis

Downloads
    Uploads

travis- Pllease send me some specs and photos and location. $$
    Jr Lee
    jlee38@rochester.rr.com

Downloads
    Uploads

so here is where i am at. i have not sold my CNC. mostly due to a difference in opinion on it's value, but that is behind me now, as i have renewed interest in keeping my CNC. sink or swim, i will make it work in my budget somehow.
    as there is no heat in the camper carcass where my CNC resides, i am stalled out.
    my plans at this point are to figure out how to finish it so i can reliably use it.
    my largest hurdle right now is the laptop i run Fusion 360 on needs more than 4GB of RAM to run the CAD reliably, so that is my priority. if i can't run a CAD, what good is a CNC, right?
    next, i must install a kill switch, as i don't want to have to rely on the one on my wireless pendant.
    following that, i have some mechanical limit switches that need to be installed as homing switches. i still plan on using the software limits provided with LinuxCNC.
    oh, i also have to install the stepper with the power-fail brake on the Z axis. it works without it, but, just to be safe...

some of the stuff i can putter on even in the winter, with the use of a space heater. but due to fumes, my working time has a limit.
    anyway, i won't tie up this forum with the useless drivel nobody is interested in, and will keep it to technical posts (this post aside, apparently). the useless drivel will be instead posted on my personal web server (on my own forum), and the technical questions will be posted here.

anyway, thought i would pop in, in case people thought i dropped off the earth.

~Travis

Downloads
    Uploads

Wow, such a warm welcome back...

~Travis

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by travis_farmer View Post
    Wow, such a warm welcome back...

~Travis

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk
    Welcome back.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you Arjay.

And to others that may or may not be following, at some point i plan on doing a YouTube video tour of my machine, at the stage it is currently in. though that depends on me shoveling a path out to it, and running an extension cord for power and heat.

~Travis

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast