bought a used 48" X 48" X 5" used router table - Page 6

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456

Thread: bought a used 48" X 48" X 5" used router table

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: bought a used 48" X 48" X 5" used router table

NOOO!!! Never 3-in-one!!! Big thumbs down on that! Alvania 2 grease and Tellus 23 oil. Get 'em from Techno in Hicksville NY. The oil is for when you run the machine daily, and the grease is for when you don't. Don't run it unless everything is properly lubed. It doesn't cost much for this stuff and one tub of grease and one pint of oil will go a long, long way.

Downloads
    Uploads

i still have the servos, and at the moment i am keeping the spindle for when i have a proper shop to move the CNC into.
    I went for steppers as i have become intrigued by the sounds they make when working, but i will likely put the servos back on when i can afford to upgrade the drivers. i understand that i could have saved money buying the servo drivers, but like i said, i kind of fell in love with stepper "music".
    I still have the original ISA interface card, but no servo controllers. i have the servo encoder cables (pretty beat up), but no motor cables. so i can at least use those in the future.

as the only space i had available to put the CNC was to modify a camper, i had to reduce my power consumption to what can travel over the power cord (30A 220V). and that includes an air-conditioner. the VFDs i found to fit the spindle required 20A, 220V, and left no room for the A/C (it gets very hot in the camper).

for others following along, i have the new roof on the camper. or at least the rafters, and Advantech sheeting, and a temporary waterproofing layer (tarp). so all that's left is the actual roofing membrane, and finishing up the interior of the camper. things are definitely coming along.
    I apologize for the lack of updates for a while, but i had to get the camper done, before making much more big moves on the CNC itself. it currently works, it self homes (via LinuxCNC), and i can even run a program on it now. as more progress is made, i will update with pictures.

~Travis

rebuilding a 48" X 48" X 5" (work area) router table.
    ReBuild coming along good.

Downloads
    Uploads

Been a while since i posted a real update.

today i mounted my router into the machine, and loaded in a cheap Chinese PCB router bit (sharp and pointy, for less drag on the test). then, after homing, and zeroing the machine to the piece of plywood (i used the sheet of paper method to zero the Z-axis), i timidly hit the go button, and delighted as the machine started carving away.

what i learned:

the router is too heavy for the Z-axis, only when it is un-powered (it settles with very little effort).
    perhaps adding a spring to help support the axis in the event of a power failure.

the router is loud in such an enclosed space.
    when i add a sound buffer wall to separate the machine from me, with a viewing window, it should help.

the stepper drivers get fairly warm.
    perhaps adding a fan to the control box will aid in cooling.

all in all, i think the project is coming along fairly well. It was very pleasing to watch the machine working (with hearing protection on, of course).

~Travis

rebuilding a 48" X 48" X 5" (work area) router table.
    ReBuild coming along good.

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm glad you're having fun with your project. +on the hearing protection. Been thinking about taming my beast lately with a spring loaded drag engraving tool.
    Best of luck with that.
    Alex

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456