bought a used 48" X 48" X 5" used router table - Page 6

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456

Thread: bought a used 48" X 48" X 5" used router table

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: bought a used 48" X 48" X 5" used router table

Quote Originally Posted by Ntl View Post
    Aluminum or copper.
    ok, thanks for that. i hadn't thought much about copper. i was thinking a piece of copper-clad (one side) PCB, but as it is so thin, i had not considered it for long (risk of warping?) but solid copper, or aluminum, good to know.

~Travis

Techno Isel Gantry III (?) base machine. EMC/LinuxCNC controller (Mesa 7i80HD-16).
    about 48 X 48 X 5 inch working, Perske 3PH 5HP spindle

Downloads
    Uploads

today i was able to simplify a task. with my LinuxCNC controlled machine, and my XHC-HB04 wireless pendant, i found it to be possible to set workpiece offset zero, with a single button on the pendant (=0). to select what axis to zero, i just turn the jogging axis selector knob. it was already built in, but i browsed the HAL driver in LinuxCNC, and found the signal names, and attached them to some G code ("G10 L20 P1 X0" for the X axis, obviously). so it is a simple matter to jog where i want the zero, press (=0), and jog the next axis to set. i love it!

at some point i hope to either build or make a digitizing probe, to help aid me in setting up the workpiece origins. they are surprisingly expensive. i still have to make a tool offset touch plate, but it is not like i just happen to have any aluminum scrap kicking around.

i keep putting off the task of cleaning up the wiring, but i really hope to get to it some this weekend. at least if i can clean up the power routing, then i can focus on the signal wiring. when i build the controls into my CNC desk, under glass, i will likely get some copper flashing to shield around the inside of the control tray as much as possible. not sure what i will do for the glass top... maybe just a plywood trap-door, shielded from underneath. i like the idea of looking through glass at my soon to be tidy control tray, but i don't want to get any stray EMI. especially from the VFD, that i will either mount on the wall behind the desk, or under the desk, somewhere.

it is coming together, little bit at a time.

~Travis

Techno Isel Gantry III (?) base machine. EMC/LinuxCNC controller (Mesa 7i80HD-16).

Downloads
    Uploads

a thought just occurred to me... in my CNC camper, the machine has only 1 side of access. or two if i open the big doors (not ideal in the rain). clearly, this wasn't thought of when i put it into the camper. what this means is, all work fixture and maintenance activities are very limited access on such a large table. this is a big setback.
    so that means whatever i do in getting it fully operational, has to be moveable, when i find a better spot for it. i hate when this happens. it is a problem i have an answer for, but not the funding to facilitate. i will figure something out, but it still leaves me pissed off.

~Travis

Downloads
    Uploads

bit of an update: i bought (has not yet been delivered) a tool length offset sensor that i found on eBay. it is self contained, so i don't need to clip a ground lead to the tool bit. my plan is to mount it in a fixed position, out of the way, on the table. i have written a custom subroutine for LinuxCNC to remap M6. so when the G code calls for a manual tool change, it will move to a predetermined location so i can install the appropriate tool bit, then when i resume the run, it will automatically make a run to the tool sensor location, probe the tool, and then return to the G code. i haven't fully tested it yet, as the sensor has not yet arrived.
    I abandoned the aluminum plate sensor when it broke a bit due to a bad ground (probably my fault, but it was also a PITA).

i still haven't yet mounted a spoil-board, but i plan to in the future. i also want to mount a squaring fence, to speed up the workpiece setup process.

~Travis

Downloads
    Uploads

Here's a video of my router using a custom M6 macro for Acorn using a fixed tool setter and a movable touch plate.

Dan

Downloads
    Uploads

nice video! i really have to make a better video of mine, at some point. i keep holding back due to the wiring still being a mess. rather embarrassing, to be honest.

i thought of using a touch plate for setting material top, but i found some LinuxCNC code to work with a 3D probe, and have been enamored by the idea ever since. currently, while i save for the probe, i use a sharp pointed PCB bit for reference, and locate my workpiece manually.

my thoughts on the advantage of using a 3D probe is that i can simply probe about, and find centers, and supposedly calculate rotational offset, if needed. currently, the sharp pointed PCB bit method works, providing i have a calculator handy to get the centers, and such.

~Travis

Downloads
    Uploads

I like the probe idea like on a mill, I'm in the same boat as you on not having one. What I've been doing is setting the datum to the center of the part. Then I measure and mark the center of the material and zero off of the mark. You could also do what you were talking about with a squaring fence which would be faster and just set the material datum to the corner of the L shaped squaring fence. For now I drew a grid on my spoil board and it helps with alignment. There's a lot of different ways to do it and I'm still trying to find what works best for me.

Dan

Downloads
    Uploads

thought i would post an update, as it has been a while.

I decided to convert my CNC configuration from millimeters, to inches. thinking the conversion would be simple, i dove into the LinuxCNC configuration. my math understanding seems to drop inversely related to my frustration, as i hit a couple walls. the great folks over at the LinuxCNC forum guided me through the configuration changes, and despite my frustration induced idiocy, it now functions great!

I also remapped M6 to a custom Gcode file that moves the machine to a predefined location for my fixed position tool sensor, touches off once for a rough figure, then again more slowly for the final figure. does some calculations, and presto!

I still have to change out the home switches, as Z works, but is far from accurate, and Y is flaky at best.

but all-in-all, i have lately been reminded how much i love this machine, with all the positive progress.

so far i still have just the one (0.25 inch) collet for my Perske spindle. i would like more, but i *think* i can get by for now with 0.25 inch shaft bits, or 0.125 inch bits, with an adapter bushing. not ideal, but so far it works.

my laptop is crap for running CAD (my last laptop died a horrible death), as it was what i could afford. but i put together a desktop computer to be dedicated for CAD, and other CNC related work. it is a older Intel I3 MB, with 16GB ram, and Fusion 360 seems to run pretty good, so far.

with my level of CNC use lately, i really need to make sure it is properly lubed, and cleaned. shamefully, i have only cleaned and lubed it twice since i got it running.

my CNC camper now has a dedicated 240v, 30A supply wire feeding it now! no more plugging in the heavy extension cord. i also rigged up network access out the the camper, so i can just place the Gcode and config files on a network drive, and pull them off from the CNC computer, for use.

I do have to play with the velocities a bit, just to see if i can speed up my rapids a bit. it takes a while to move the CNC around the horizontal extremes.

anyway, that is where i am at with the machine.

~Travis

Downloads
    Uploads

as my machine is starting to get closer to a fully functional state, i am feeling a stronger urge to start working on some safety features. firstly, as LinuxCNC has a safety charge pump output, i bought one of these: https://www.cnc4pc.com/c4-safety-charge-pump.html (just received it today actually). i plan on connecting it to actuate several relays to energize/remove power for my stepper power supplies, as well as go between my stepper drivers and the power supplies as an added level of safety, for while the power supplies power down. also to add/remove power from the stepper brake on the Z axis.

I am thinking too, i may find some way to have a "blast shield" between the machine and myself. mainly for when i brake a bit. the last bit i broke was embedded in the wall paneling... made me a little nervous since.

i really need to wire in a closed-loop E-stop switch, in various locations. currently i have just a key on the keyboard, and a button on my pendant. at least a few on the machine, so i can reach one from most anywhere.

still have to rig up dust collection, though not super critical at this moment. i have a head that was made for my Maklita RF1101, and i think i can modify it to work on my current Perske spindle.

gotta mount a spoilboard, and a "L" fence (for faster alignment)...

The ToDo list is getting shorter. though i am sure once i start to really use it, i will find more stuff to add to the list, or upgrade.

~Travis

Downloads
    Uploads

so, i got exceedingly frustrated with my XHC WHB04. seems like every time i go to use it, the batteries are dead.
    so, it was suggested to me that i should have gone with the wired version, not the wireless version. it seemed like a good idea at the time, going wireless, but now i see the merits of the wired USB version.
    so i bought the new version of the wired pendant. not sure what i will do with the wireless one...

also, for my birthday, i received a Amana Tool 8pc CNC router bit set (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0112T9OSG), so i look forward to that gifted order arriving!

~Travis

Downloads
    Uploads

so, my CNC was finally used for real work, for my job (carpenter). i wrote a bit of Gcode to automate drilling shelf pin holes. not sure if it will run on other controllers, but it was programmed for my LinuxCNC machine.

Code:
    G20 (set inches)
    G90
    #10 = 1 (starting number, don't change)

#11 = 5 (end count)
    #12 = -0.4375 (depth of cut)
    #13 = 0.5 (Safe retract height above work origin)
    #14 = 1.25 (hole spacing)
    #15 = 10000 (spindle RPM)
    #16 = 32 (feed rate)

#21 = #<_x> (grab Z at top of part)
    #22 = #<_y> (grab Y at work origin)
    #23 = [#21 + #13] (working safe retract)
    #24 = [#21 - #12] (working depth of cut)
    #25 = [#22] (Set to first hole, at origin)

M8
    M3 S#15
    G54 G0 Z#23 (rise to the safe retract, before start)
    o101 while [#10 LE #11]
      G54 G1 Z-#24 F#16
      G54 G0 Z#23
      #25 = [#25 + #14]
      G54 G0 Y#25
      #10 = [#10 + 1] (Increase #10 by 1 each iteration of the loop)
    o101 endwhile
    M9 M5
    G54 G0 X0 Y0 Z1
    M2
    Setup:
    Assuming machine is homed, and ready. and that the workpiece is mounted so that the length of travel is parallel along the Y axis.
    i used a 1/4 inch, flat end mill.

VERIFY SETTINGS, #11 through #16!
    #11 is the number of holes to drill
    #12 is how deep the shelf pin holes are to be drilled. i use 7/16 inch. yes, the pins i use do interfere with 3/4in plywood, if drilled both sides.
    #13 is the retract height above workpiece to move about.
    #14 is how far apart (centers) the shelf pin holes are spaced.
    #15 spindle RPM. 10000 works for me, without burning.
    #16 is the plunge feed rate. at 10000rpm, 32ipm seems to make a nice clean hole, for me.

set workpiece home (G54) at the center of the first pin hole, with the end mill right on the piece of wood. then run the code.

i had the workpieces clamped down, but in the future, i will add a spoilboard, with a Y axis fence, for faster setup.

just thought i would share, in case it is useful for somebody else. i plan on making a second bit of Gcode to automate cabinet door hinge pockets (35mm, for euro hinges).

anyway, i still have a lot to complete on my machine. but it seems good to finally be making wood-chips, with real work!

~Travis

Downloads
    Uploads

not sure if you need the M8 and M9 in your code since those pertain to coolant control? you might be able to clean your post processor up to leave those out. it probably won't hurt much being there if they are not used and just get passed by with no effect as is. just something i noticed at first glance.

Downloads
    Uploads

Actually, my machine uses coolant control to turn the dust vacuum on and off. and no post processor was used for that code, as i wrote it myself.
    but yes, somebody with a different setup could leave out the M8 and M9.

~Travis

Downloads
    Uploads

well then that makes more sense if the machine is set up that way then. the structure of your program looks more like a macro to me. not something i get into very much. the VMC machine i run and program at my work uses canned cycles for drilling which does not use the variables at the beginning of the program i guess by my choice . i'm lazy and just post code from cam software so keeping things short is not usually something i do. plus the parts i make never have a pattern to them where i can utilize a simple program like this.

Downloads
    Uploads

Just an update on my (slow) progress with this machine. still using LinuxCNC for machine control, but i am no longer using the parallel printer port style interface. a little while back i bought a Mesa 7i80HD-16 FPGA card to handle the I/O. it has onboard stepper generation (after i programmed it), and runs over an ethernet connection to the network, to my LinuxCNC computer, also on the network. i am still working on the wiring, as i am moving the control system into an enclosure (changing it from a prototype, to production stage). i am trying to pay more attention to signal protection by shielding the control logic from sources like my stepper drivers and the spindle VFD. also working to compile all the wires between the machine and controller into parallel printer cables that i am using just for non-stepper logic connections. the reason is, i plan on moving the CNC machine out of the back of the trailer, and into a to-be-built work shed, and i want to be able to simply disconnect some cables, without having to undo any hard-wired circuits.
    I actually had the machine making moves just last weekend, with the new control board. it is my hope to get more done this weekend so i can hopefully be able to make adjustments on the configuration to speed up the machine. i had entered safe values into the configs, just for testing, so when i can correctly home the machine, i can test some new values to see what the machine is capable of.

i have been posting most of my updates to the LinuxCNC forum, and my website (https://www.tjfhome.net/my_cnc/), but thought i would update here, in case anybody was wondering about the progress.

~Travis

Downloads
    Uploads

so, tried to do some maintenance on my machine, found that the original builder had assembled the aluminum machine and steel fasteners, with no anti-sieze, so now the machine is old enough that it is locked up tight, with no way to take it apart to lube the inner slides and screws...
    even if i get the now stripped screws out (heads, not threads), i have no fasteners matching to go back in. best i can do is cut a slot, and use an impact screw-driver to get the fasteners out. possibly use a EZ-Out. but i have to do it one by one, and replace the fasteners with ones with antisieze...
    what's worse, when the T-handle hex wrench popped off a stripped fastener, it flew into a window, breaking it. and just my luck, it is raining... just seems like every thing i touch turns into some sort of bigger problem, lately. all i wanted to do was work on a limit switch and lube the hard to lube areas. now my machine is down...
    anyway, needed to vent. hopefully this down time is short. it isn't costing me anything yet, as it is not yet production, but still.

~Travis

Downloads
    Uploads

got thinking, the screws i have gotten out are softer than steel, and show no sign of galvanic corrosion. would it have been possible that the original builder used aluminum screws? i mean, the heads strip easy, real easy. thinking that replacing the fasteners with harder steel fasteners and using antisieze may be the best option for saving this machine.

keep in mind, while my T-handle hex wrenches are ball-end, i use the regular end on the side of the handle for the tightening and loosening. i use the ball-end for just the loose turning.

~Travis

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456