Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: bought a used 48" X 48" X 5" used router table

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: bought a used 48" X 48" X 5" used router table

Quote Originally Posted by travis_farmer View Post
    Attachment 364640

the camper is mostly demo'd, and it is still a rather tight fit around my CNC.

sadly, today while cleaning up, somehow a staple found it's way onto the breakout board on my test rig (seen on top of the router table). when i powered up the rig later to test the limit switches that came with it (X and Y work, Z is constantly open), i found that the CNC would no longer move. i had not yet connected the limits, and it worked like this previously.

i had purchased a couple cheaper breakout boards, so all is not lost. the problem is that the backup breakout boards are common VCC, where the one on my test rig was common ground. no real big deal, just that i have to re-wire my drivers.

note to self, cover the CNC controller when doing demo on the camper.

~Travis
    I had aluminum swarf get into one of my older drive boxes and killed it, so I know the feeling.... Looks like you're making good progress otherwise.

Downloads
    Uploads

Well, i changed out the breakout board, finally. though movement in one direction via LinuxCNC is smooth as silk, but it is jittery in the other. i suspect it is either the timing being sent to the drivers, or the wrong microstepping setting on my drivers (i went with the cheap ones, HY-DIV268N-5A, from china) it was previously smooth with the stepper drivers, using the other breakout board, so i am leaning toward either the drive timing, or my cheap drivers crapped out in the meantime.
    another symptom is the steppers buzz when the drivers are disabled (machine off in LinuxCNC).

would it be so simple as noise? it all worked fine, before the staple landed on the previous breakout board.

~Travis

rebuilding a 48" X 48" X 5" (work area) router table.
    ReBuild coming along good.

Downloads
    Uploads

UPDATE:

if i jog through all Axis with the LinuxCNC jog controls, or my XHC-HB04 pendant, it works smooth in one direction, and noisy in the other. after returning to a different axis, it is very noisy, and the axis just make noise, with no movement. i wonder if it is a software issue, with LinuxCNC, or even with my computer hardware. i will post on the LinuxCNC forum and see if they have an idea.

~Travis

Downloads
    Uploads

looks kinda like my cheap Chinese drivers are not supplying enough current for the steppers to move smoothly, so they keep stalling at the slightest hint of resistance. all to save a few bucks...
    I will be buying the Leadshine drivers recommend previously...

~Travis

Downloads
    Uploads

just an update.

I have installed the Leadshine drivers, and 36Vdc power supplies, as well as finally cleaning and lubing the screws and rails. now my CNC router runs smoothly, and quietly, with no missed steps.
    I have also received and installed the mount for my Makita RF1101 router.
    http://tjfserver.ddns.net/misc/0004.jpg
    all the limits work, with the exception of the vertical axis (have to open it up at some point, and have a look). i still have yet to install the home sensors, so LinuxCNC complains that it has not been homed yet. but i can jog the axis around.

once i get the home sensors sorted out, then i can draw up a schematic of the working electronics, and proceed to take the test rig apart to install it more securely into a cabinet.

ToDo:
    1) Home Sensors
    2) final build of controller
    3) establish software limits for LinuxCNC
    4) wire up relay to turn router on with software
    5) buy a starter set of CNC router bits
    6) read the CNC how-to books i got off amazon

i still have to build a door to cover the large hole in the side of my camper too, as well as rebuild the roof, so i can take the tarp off the back of my camper. that and i have to make the AC power panel built in, so i can get rid of the light duty extension cord to replace it with the 220Vac, 30A supply cord.

but things are coming along, and i think i can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

~Travis

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

You don't need additional home sensors. Just use one limit on each axis as limit+home

7xCNC.com - CNC info for the minilathe (7x10, 7x12, 7x14, 7x16)

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

As far as #5 - buy bits as you need them. And if they're ones you need, buy two back-ups. Trust me on this!

You can use regular router bits. You just can't push them as hard as those intended for CNC use.

Downloads
    Uploads

You don't need additional home sensors. Just use one limit on each axis as limit+home
    Hmm, that simplifies things greatly.

As far as #5 - buy bits as you need them. And if they're ones you need, buy two back-ups. Trust me on this!

You can use regular router bits. You just can't push them as hard as those intended for CNC use.
    CNC router bits can't be purchased locally, so to establish what i need, i figured a starter set, like Freud 87-208 from amazon, would let me choose. once i know what i need, i can order some backups.

~Travis

Downloads
    Uploads

Make certain that that you will need most of the cutters otherwise you will end-up using 2-3 cutter out of 8 and won't have any spare. Been there done that...

It may be just me but I find the Freud spiral cutter brittle. I never had problems with Freud saw blades or normal router cutters but the two spiral cutters I own have chip of carbide missing on the side. Never had this kind of problems with my Yonico, Amana or Onsrud cutters.

Edit: Since your in the US, you can order Onsrud on Amazon ad a good price. That said, I started with cheap Chinese cutters when I began working with my first machine. Breaking a 4$ cutter because you learn is not that bad but breaking a 40$ compression cutter is.

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Biggs427 View Post
    Make certain that that you will need most of the cutters otherwise you will end-up using 2-3 cutter out of 8 and won't have any spare. Been there done that...

It may be just me but I find the Freud spiral cutter brittle. I never had problems with Freud saw blades or normal router cutters but the two spiral cutters I own have chip of carbide missing on the side. Never had this kind of problems with my Yonico, Amana or Onsrud cutters.

Edit: Since your in the US, you can order Onsrud on Amazon ad a good price. That said, I started with cheap Chinese cutters when I began working with my first machine. Breaking a 4$ cutter because you learn is not that bad but breaking a 40$ compression cutter is.
    Onsrud blows out tools on eBay, and I've bought endmills for as little as 5% of list!

Downloads
    Uploads

Biggs427

at $140 on amazon, i thought the Freud set was a good buy, at least to start with...
    I looked into Amana, and found them rather pricey, for me. i will look into the Onsrud cutters.

louieatienza
    Onsrud blows out tools on eBay, and I've bought endmills for as little as 5% of list!
    hmm, good to know.

I still have to figure out how to mount the home-limit sensors for the Z axis. with it entirely enclosed, it leaves little access to mount any sensor so it interacts with moving axis. i may have to give it some thought.

~Travis

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by travis_farmer View Post
    at $140 on amazon, i thought the Freud set was a good buy, at least to start with...
    I looked into Amana, and found them rather pricey, for me. i will look into the Onsrud cutters.
    I have a thread that was stickied a while back, explaining different endmills and router bits and other tooling for the DIY crowd, that may be of interest...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast