Problem Y axis speed vs Z axis speed

Thread: Y axis speed vs Z axis speed

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Y axis speed vs Z axis speed

I cutting maple. 3D, I am getting a choppy surface on a slight sweeping incline. It perfect on flat surface. It seems Y axis is waiting on Z.
    I'm running 250IPM in Y and 35IPM in Z
    Is there a optimum ratio for IPM to use when combing xy axis with Z

Rob

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Y axis speed vs Z axis speed

No ratio. You just want the Z axis to be as fast as possible, as it''s often the limiting factor in 3D cutting speed.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by artracing View Post
    I cutting maple. 3D, I am getting a choppy surface on a slight sweeping incline. It perfect on flat surface. It seems Y axis is waiting on Z.
    I'm running 250IPM in Y and 35IPM in Z
    Is there a optimum ratio for IPM to use when combing xy axis with Z

Rob
    Try running your machine in CV mode instead of exact stop...

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    No ratio. You just want the Z axis to be as fast as possible, as it''s often the limiting factor in 3D cutting speed.
    I can run 285 Ipm in Z

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by louieatienza View Post
    Try running your machine in CV mode instead of exact stop...
    CV Mode?

Rob

Downloads
    Uploads

Also, make sure that you run at 100% if you're running Mach 3....I was trying to run at 200% and that's when I got jerky. Upped the program feeds and it was butter smooth again.

Ward

Downloads
    Uploads

CV Mode?

Rob
    Yes... and what Gerry said, your Z axis speed is what will limit your feedrate.

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes... and what Gerry said, your Z axis speed is what will limit your feedrate.
    I'm up to 250 IPM in all three axis and I have to say it did help. Thanks all for that. One part that was a concern, did seem to smooth is out very nicely. It acted like putting on brakes part way through this area and went real nice. The jerky portion is a transition down and back up again but very large radius.
    The servo is a Centroid.
    I still don't know what CV is?
    I need to see if there is a parameter for deceleration into curves is my only guess.
    I'm a metal guy. I use same Centroid on my Bridgeport. Running these kind of speeds is uncharted territory for me.
    Maybe what I'm seeing is normal.

Rob

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm up to 250 IPM in all three axis and I have to say it did help. Thanks all for that. One part that was a concern, did seem to smooth is out very nicely. It acted like putting on brakes part way through this area and went real nice. The jerky portion is a transition down and back up again but very large radius.
    The servo is a Centroid.
    I still don't know what CV is?
    I need to see if there is a parameter for deceleration into curves is my only guess.
    I'm a metal guy. I use same Centroid on my Bridgeport. Running these kind of speeds is uncharted territory for me.
    Maybe what I'm seeing is normal.

Rob
    Almost always, 3D surface toolpaths will be a combination of short x, y, z moves that interpolate a large sweep. And you'll have a few to a lot depending on the tolerance set in your CAM. To help smooth out movement, CV (constant velocity) can be used to force the controller to maintain speed below a certain angle, instead of decelerating and accelerating at each new line segment. You'll have to play with the settings to suit your needs. There's a great article on this in the Mach3 website...

Downloads
    Uploads

Almost always, 3D surface toolpaths will be a combination of short x, y, z moves that interpolate a large sweep. And you'll have a few to a lot depending on the tolerance set in your CAM. To help smooth out movement, CV (constant velocity) can be used to force the controller to maintain speed below a certain angle, instead of decelerating and accelerating at each new line segment. You'll have to play with the settings to suit your needs. There's a great article on this in the Mach3 website...
    It sounds like your right on the problem. Unfortunately I think your Mach3 has this feature, but not sure where it is with Centroid. I vaguely remember something that sounds like what you speak of. Not sure where.

Robs

Downloads
    Uploads

It sounds like your right on the problem. Unfortunately I think your Mach3 has this feature, but not sure where it is with Centroid. I vaguely remember something that sounds like what you speak of. Not sure where.

Robs
    Try look ahead...

edit: I checked out Centroid's website... their M400 control does have a 2000 line look ahead feature. There may be a setting buried somewhere that you can adjust CV angle and/or distance or minimum look ahead angle. I actually run a Bridgeport clone with Centroid CNC control from 1997, for a small metal shop, but it doesn't have any look ahead feature that I'm aware of; nor does it need is as I just cut simple shapes and slots.

The other way would be to invest in software that analyzes g-code and performs arc optimization, but they're expensive...

Last edited by louieatienza; 05-11-2017 at 10:03 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Try look ahead...

edit: I checked out Centroid's website... their M400 control does have a 2000 line look ahead feature. There may be a setting buried somewhere that you can adjust CV angle and/or distance or minimum look ahead angle. I actually run a Bridgeport clone with Centroid CNC control from 1997, for a small metal shop, but it doesn't have any look ahead feature that I'm aware of; nor does it need is as I just cut simple shapes and slots.

The other way would be to invest in software that analyzes g-code and performs arc optimization, but they're expensive...
    Centroid has G64 code. Smoothing. I have no clue what it does.

I think there is something for radius entry speed, unless I'm imaging it.

Downloads
    Uploads

Just found it. They are called smoothing parameters. I saw 2 that they recommend certain number for routers.
    This is what it appears to have been designed for. Jerky moves, smoothing sharp corners etc.
    Looks like a black art.

Rob

Downloads
    Uploads

Just found it. They are called smoothing parameters. I saw 2 that they recommend certain number for routers.
    This is what it appears to have been designed for. Jerky moves, smoothing sharp corners etc.
    Looks like a black art.

Rob
    It would all depend what you're cutting. If they're rectinear shapes then you may not want smoothing. But on smooth swept surfaces or such, it can really make a difference.

Take an extreme case: machine making a 90 degree move. The macbine would have to completely stop one axis and start another. CV allows a faster move through the corner by starting that second axis a little sooner. While this would create a rounded corner with point to point moves, in reality the CAM compensates for tool radius and traces a curved path around that corner. So the only limits to how fast you can go around that corner are how fast you can accelerate safely, and how rigid your machine is...

Downloads
    Uploads

Making guitar bodies

Downloads
    Uploads

Making guitar bodies
    Awesome.... One of the things I do as well.