Newbie replace rotory tool with router

Thread: replace rotory tool with router

Default replace rotory tool with router

So I got a good deal on a used mydiycnc Bigfoot, but I'd like to replace the cheap rotory tool with a small porter cable router. does anyone know where I can get mounting brackets and if this would too heavy or not? thanks.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by cromag08 View Post
    So I got a good deal on a used mydiycnc Bigfoot, but I'd like to replace the cheap rotory tool with a small porter cable router. does anyone know where I can get mounting brackets and if this would too heavy or not? thanks.
    You got a CNC, why not make some? For brackets, you can check out eBay or a place like Automation Technologies... Usually aluminum so weight should be fine...

Default Re: replace rotory tool with router

Quote Originally Posted by louieatienza View Post
    You got a CNC, why not make some? For brackets, you can check out eBay or a place like Automation Technologies... Usually aluminum so weight should be fine...
    Thanks. I'm brand new to cnc so I don't even know how to use it yet. Need to learn how to go from illustrator files to CAD files. I was worried about the weight of the router. I do a lot of table router work so I have a ton of 1/4" shank bits.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks. I'm brand new to cnc so I don't even know how to use it yet. Need to learn how to go from illustrator files to CAD files. I was worried about the weight of the router. I do a lot of table router work so I have a ton of 1/4" shank bits.
    You'll need CAM software to create toolpaths, at least somewhat easily. Cut2D is probably the easiest to use.

You'll need CAM software to create toolpaths, at least somewhat easily. Cut2D is probably the easiest to use.
    I'll check it out thanks. but I'll also need 3d software as some of my parts will need dado and rabbet slots.

Downloads
    Uploads

I'll check it out thanks. but I'll also need 3d software as some of my parts will need dado and rabbet slots.
    You only need 2D CAM for that... we call that 2.5D, pocketing and profiling. A dado is just a cross-cut groove, and a rabbet is just a groove on the edge of a board. Doesn't take too much creativity to use 2D toolpaths to achieve these cuts. I even found a way to do dovetails using 2D CAM laying parts on the flat.

You'll only really need 3D to do surfacing, such as bas relief carvings and such.

You only need 2D CAM for that... we call that 2.5D, pocketing and profiling. A dado is just a cross-cut groove, and a rabbet is just a groove on the edge of a board. Doesn't take too much creativity to use 2D toolpaths to achieve these cuts. I even found a way to do dovetails using 2D CAM laying parts on the flat.

You'll only really need 3D to do surfacing, such as bas relief carvings and such.
    Cool thanks!