Building CNC Router from scratch

Thread: Building CNC Router from scratch

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Building CNC Router from scratch

Hi Everyone!

Absolute newbie to CNC, but eager to build a CNC Router for, primarily, woodworking.

I want to build a 24" by 30" CNC Router (18 by 24 or so usable). Fixed table and movable gantry.

In researching CNC and lookong at parts, costs, etc., I think I want to build one using steel rod with pillow blocks and linear bearings for the rails, and acme thread for the drive. Nema 23 stepper motors (3-400 oz or so). Possible 4th axis in the future to do pens, vases, etc.Bosch Colt Router for spindle to start with. Max z movement of 5-6".

I'm not an engineer, so I want to get your experienced inputs on the sizes recommended for the rods and number of bearings needed for the x, y, and z axes.

Appreciate your inputs and look forward to more discussions as I get into electronics and software. Thanks.

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by jimmyzwoodworks; 04-21-2017 at 11:20 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Building CNC Router from scratch

AutomationTechnologies sells CNC kits in the sizes you need - ballscrews, round or profile rail, ballnuts, nut carriers... for under $600

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Building CNC Router from scratch

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyzwoodworks View Post
    Hi Everyone!

Absolute newbie to CNC, but eager to build a CNC Router for, primarily, woodworking.

I want to build a 24" by 30" CNC Router (18 by 24 or so usable). Fixed table and movable gantry.
    That is a nice size to start with. Just make sure the cutting area is somewhat larger than the largest piece you expect to work on with the router. You want to be able to cut in place fixturing and any special work holding.
    In researching CNC and lookong at parts, costs, etc., I think I want to build one using steel rod with pillow blocks and linear bearings for the rails, and acme thread for the drive. Nema 23 stepper motors (3-400 oz or so). Possible 4th axis in the future to do pens, vases, etc.Bosch Colt Router for spindle to start with. Max z movement of 5-6".
    If you want to use round rails and the ball bushing type bearings you should be using supported rails. Supported rails however need to be mounted on a solid machine structure soy need to name down what the frame for he machine will look like and how it is put together. To an extent bigger rails of this type are better.
    I'm not an engineer, so I want to get your experienced inputs on the sizes recommended for the rods and number of bearings needed for the x, y, and z axes.
    If you go the round rail route I'd suggest at least (minimal) 1 inch diameter rails. You would need 4 bushings/bearings for each axis. 1" may seem excessive but the larger solution helps make up for the fact that around linear rail and bearing solutions as a bit flexible. However as pointed out above, what they are mounted upon is extremely important. You didn't mention anything about the machines frame which is important the rails are all but useless if the frame doesn't support them properly.
    Appreciate your inputs and look forward to more discussions as I get into electronics and software. Thanks.
    No problem. As you know everybody has an opinion.