Build Thread Servo retrofit help

Thread: Servo retrofit help

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Servo retrofit help

I'm wondering if the group might be able to point me in the right direction, to a resource or mentor.

I have an older Zund P-2500 flatbed cutter that I'd like to retrofit to be controlled by Mach 3. The machine powers up and homes but won't respond to the onboard console keyboard. I'm presuming the "control box" is outdated and in trouble. I have taken a look at the axis servos (Maxim pictured) and they are connected by 2 heavier wires (maybe 18 ga., a red and a black) and an 8 wire ribbon. I have retrofitted a stepper driven router with new electronics successfully but don't have a clear understanding of servos and the feedback side of it and how they can be integrated with Mach 3. A new controller kit to replace the old is where I probably want to end up. The hardware mechanicals and table itself is in good shape and built like a tank.

(Y axis motor)

Any and all is appreciated,
    Ken

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Servo retrofit help-img_20170419_123501816-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by kennected View Post
    I'm wondering if the group might be able to point me in the right direction, to a resource or mentor.

I have an older Zund P-2500 flatbed cutter that I'd like to retrofit to be controlled by Mach 3. The machine powers up and homes but won't respond to the onboard console keyboard. I'm presuming the "control box" is outdated and in trouble. I have taken a look at the axis servos (Maxim pictured) and they are connected by 2 heavier wires (maybe 18 ga., a red and a black) and an 8 wire ribbon. I have retrofitted a stepper driven router with new electronics successfully but don't have a clear understanding of servos and the feedback side of it and how they can be integrated with Mach 3. A new controller kit to replace the old is where I probably want to end up. The hardware mechanicals and table itself is in good shape and built like a tank.

(Y axis motor)

Any and all is appreciated,
    Ken
    In Mach3 the encoder feedback loop is closed on the drive side, and only a fault signal sent to Mach3. You'd set it up in Mach just like a stepper.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Servo retrofit help

Thank you Louie.

Do you mean the encoder side of things is that "pulses sent and pulses received" are evaluated and it sends alarm to Mach 3 when it doesn't add up? And if it comes back ok, the position can be presumed accurate, so it continues to execute Gcode?

So, it's kinda like match up a drive that supports the motors and buy another Mach3 license?
    Any 3 axis drives packages that might make things easier for an electronic simpleton?
    Thanks again

Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you Louie.

Do you mean the encoder side of things is that "pulses sent and pulses received" are evaluated and it sends alarm to Mach 3 when it doesn't add up? And if it comes back ok, the position can be presumed accurate, so it continues to execute Gcode?

So, it's kinda like match up a drive that supports the motors and buy another Mach3 license?
    Any 3 axis drives packages that might make things easier for an electronic simpleton?
    Thanks again
    Pretty much, though you'll have to "tune" each axis, usually done by interfacing the drive to the computer, such as the "gain" and "damping." You'll also need to find out what kind of encoder you have, and if it's compatible with the drive you select. For the cost of the drives however, it may be a good idea to consider upgrading to something like the ClearPath servos from Teknic that are an integrated package, and "auto-tune" via software.

If this is your personal machine for "hobby" use you do not need to purchase another Mach3 license...

Downloads
    Uploads

Great looking stuff at Teknic's site! Do they take calls regarding info and onsies purchases? They look pretty "OEM" on that site.

Downloads
    Uploads

Great looking stuff at Teknic's site! Do they take calls regarding info and onsies purchases? They look pretty "OEM" on that site.
    They are OEM, but will sell the ClearPath stuff directly...