To build or buy....

Thread: To build or buy....

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default To build or buy....

Hi Folks,

Bit of background, I'm helping my Dad out who retires soon to have a small business to keep him busy and top up the state pension, the idea is CNC panels to go with his carpentry skills so he can make some products using poplar plywood mostly.

It comes in 8x4 sheets, and so I need a pretty big cnc router to get started.

Commercial machines are too much, chinese machines get me nervous if they will ever arrive and be any good, and home built seems like a chore...

So I figured I'd ask on here to sense check myself.

In terms of what I THINK I am after...

8x4 cutting envelope, linear rails, accurate (to say...0.5mm ish - it's only 2d ops it will be running and repeatable)

The machine has to be broadly reliable, as I wont be there to lend a hand should anything have a wobbly, I'm ot after rock solid, but it cant flake out every few hours.

I'd like Mach3 or similar, and a spindle that doesn't sound like it's about to burst everyones ear drums

I keep looking again at self built

I have a large HAAS in my garage so I can machine plates myself at reasonable costs, though I am also happy to buy them if the price isn't daft.

Can anyone give me a list of the sort of specs I should be aiming for to do what I'm after, and maybe rough price estimate on a reasonably solid build?

I'd welcome your input.

Cheers

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: To build or buy....

For me if it`s only wood I think it`s cheaper to buy a CNC kit like this >>>4x8 procut CNC gantry and build your own rigid table, or if you want to use the machine with minimal modifications >>> 4X8 CNC router with table it can cut light aluminum and mild steel, im not a salesman or anything, im just an ordinary CNC worker sir, I personally like the first option due to the fact that you can attach a plasma torch on it to cut sheets of metal, an ordinary 40 amp plasma machine can cut up to 8mm mild steel, for me the most versatile CNC machine is the first one

Downloads
    Uploads

What do you mean by CNC panels?

As for precision 0.5mm is pretty bad.

A DIY build is a pain if you aren't personally interested in building machinery. However your indication of a HAAS in the garage indicates to me that you have a personal interest in machinery. Plus a Milling machine is a big advantage for somebody doing a DIY build. So if you decide to go the DIY route you are well equipped to fabricate a nice machine in a way many on this forum can't.

In any event back to 4x8 - that is huge and you need to verify that you have adequate space for the machine. You will want at least 8 x 12 feet of floor space to dedicate to the machine. Depending upon the machines design and loading methods you might want even more space. I'm just trying to reconcile the large machine against the idea that a retire will want to make a few bucks off it. The word to focus on is retired, will this guy really want to toss around 100 pound pieces of sheet goods?

Your concerns about machine support are valid but you can easily get roped into more support than you first imagined. CAD / CAM would be a big worry support wise. One of the big advantages of a DIY build is that you learn about your machine in detail, which can be a big advantage for the user of the machine if they are actively involved in the build. In fact I'd go so far as the say the retired person here needs to become involved in the whole process. In the end the machines don't operate themselves and in fact require a significant amount of user involvement. There is a real limit to how much aid can be offered long distance. Honestly I'm thinking the wrong person is posting questions here.

Downloads
    Uploads

Join the MYCNCUK forum, and talk to member JazzCNC about having him build a machine for you. Great guy that knows his stuff, and will get you a really good machine at a good price.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

My dad is a wood machinist, and has used commercial CNC machines for years as well as manual machines.

He is stronger than his pencil pushing son, and whilst he is coming up to retire from his 40 hours a week, he doesn't want to stop working and loves working with wood.

He has always been an employee, and I don't want to stress him with the business set up stuff, he doesn't like that side of things, whereas it's more my areas (I own two companies).

We have a big enough work shop for the machine and dust extraction etc.

I know 0.5mm isn't very accurate, my haas holds 0.001mm...but I'm not making bearing surfaces, just cutting out some panels, that will have the edges banded anyway, so 0.5mm is good enough for what I need, and was just a way to demonstrate I don;t need the best ever CNC router, just good enough. Don;t get me wrong, better tolerance would be great, but it won't be an issue if it's not world leading.

Are there many 8x4 DIY builds that don't use aluminium extrusion? I can weld, and would be happy to make a steel frame, aluminium gantry supports (made on the mill), but I;d rather follow a path well trodden (or at least well documented )

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Check out CNCrouterparts.com I built one but changed out the alum extrusions with steel tube. It worked well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

As you've probably worked out, a home build is going to be a project with a lot of hours, dead ends, problems to solve etc. A new machine is going to cost you a bundle, especially if it's a locally supplied one with support etc, a new Chinese machine is going to be cheaper but it's a gamble (the odds are improved if you can find a supplier with a decent reputation and a dig around here will likely give you a fighting chance).

What's your time worth? If you have plenty of spare time and want to get involved in a project with the old man that'd be a pretty cool way to go. If you have limited time and want something reasonably quickly, perhaps look out for a 2ndhand machine?

Downloads
    Uploads

It sounds like you're well placed to build a CNC router, if that's what you want to do. I'm a fan of steel builds; those 80/20 aluminum extrusions are handy, but cost a lot. If you know how to weld without undue warpage, you should be able to construct the basic table without too much trouble; the gantry might be where you'd consider using aluminum, since it tends to be straighter as well as lighter. Large tubes are going to be stiffer than multiple extrusions for that; you can use your Haas to make mounts for the ends as well as the motor plates you'll need. If it's mostly for cut-out work in sheet goods, take a look at the Mechmate design: MechMate CNC Router - Build your own with our detailed plans which is made from steel. A 3-phase spindle with VFD inverter will be quieter, stronger, and last longer than a hand router. Save some money in your budget for a cyclone dust collector; these things make an incredible amount of dust very quickly. And don't cheap out at the end with one of those cheap Chinese motor/driver kits from Ebay; get your drivers from someone who will support them, and motors that match their capabilities.

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]