Using SBR12 Linear Rail for X Axis

Thread: Using SBR12 Linear Rail for X Axis

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Using SBR12 Linear Rail for X Axis

I was wondering if anyone has tried using low-cost SBR12 Linear Rail for their machine. A pair of rails 600mm long with 2 carriage blocks per rail is only around $50. I'm planning to make a machine with a working area around 45 x 40 x 8 cm (18 x 16 x 3 in) that will be able to rout aluminum sheet stock up to 1/4" thick. Here is a draft CAD of the machine, showing how there will be SBR12 mounted to steel square tubing, for the x axis http://i.imgur.com/PLxqJ20.png. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Rail on ebay - 2pcs SBR12 600mm 12MM Support Linear Rail Shaft Rod + 4pcs SBR12UU Block CNC Set | eBay

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Using SBR12 Linear Rail for X Axis

I used sbr12 on my machine, on all axis, I have had no real issues yet other than the adjustment set screws on the bearing blocks vibrating loose, then the blocks lose their rigidity, but I think that goes for any supported round rail. They are very rigid and loading was more than sufficient for my machine, 20-30 lb steel gantry. I haven't tried aluminum yet and probably have less than a hundred hours on it so far but I am very pleased. My machine is 28" x 18" x 8" or 650x440x200.

Here is link to my build thread if you want to see it.
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/cnc-wo...16384-cnc.html

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

In your build thread you mentioned you wish you had bought the SBR16 instead of 12. Think 16 would be worth the extra money if the machine has to cut aluminum?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by marcll View Post
    I was wondering if anyone has tried using low-cost SBR12 Linear Rail for their machine. A pair of rails 600mm long with 2 carriage blocks per rail is only around $50. I'm planning to make a machine with a working area around 45 x 40 x 8 cm (18 x 16 x 3 in) that will be able to rout aluminum sheet stock up to 1/4" thick. Here is a draft CAD of the machine, showing how there will be SBR12 mounted to steel square tubing, for the x axis http://i.imgur.com/PLxqJ20.png. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!
    I think it's a mistake to use SBR12 for anything other then very soft material. I use SBR16 and on my next machine, if I ever build one, I will use something even stronger and more rigid. On another note, if you plan to build machine you might as well increase the Z because you will regret rather sooner than later that 8 cm you are planning for now. Let me show you what I mean.

Using SBR12 Linear Rail for X Axis-v1_dsc_7145_1k-jpg

Ny CNC has a 160mm Z clearance. The vice in the picture takes away 70mm and the spindle with that short cutter takes another 45mm, leaving me with about 45mm clearance. Of course, a longer cutter will leave even less clearance. ...and I don't even have a sacrificial board on top of the table now...

So, consider the above before deciding for Z clearance. But if you only plan to mill sheet material than it may be OK, though I still think it is going to be the first thing you'd regret, just like I did. My first build had about that little also, and it didn't take a long time for me to realize that it was not going to be enough in the long run. Fixture + sacrificial board + tool takes up more space than many can imagine.

https://www.youtube.com/c/AdaptingCamera/videos
    https://adapting-camera.blogspot.com

Downloads
    Uploads

From what I've read around here, bigger is always better with the round rails. I was under the assumption that I wouldn't be able to do aluminum without larger rails. Now that my machine is complete, it feels very rigid with 12mm. I imagine a larger machine might require larger rails while smaller mains do ok with them. I Haven't tried aluminum yet but I think it will have no problem. I have to figure the speeds and feeds first. I have a piece of T6 that I was going to test with. It may be a couple of weeks before I can get to it though. If anything I'll just have to limit my depth of cut. I've got a cheap speeds and feeds calc that says I should be able to go up to 0.125" depth per pass.

Structural rigidity of your gantry plays a big part also, I would have used bigger bolts and thicker gantry arms. The steel is very rigid to but still has flex.

Downloads
    Uploads

I don't know the prices of SBR12 or SBR16, but when I planned my current build I checked for SBR20 (1000mm for X, 700mm for Y) and the price difference with shipping between SBR20 and 15mm profile rails was not that big.

I ordered on Aliexpress, but I contacted the seller once I had all my component listed and ordered in one big order so I saved on shipment costs and received it in less than 7 days.

Ask for price quotes, you never know.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by marcll View Post
    For some reason I can't read your *.png file, just get a blank page in my browser, so take everything I say with a grain of salt.

First off you have to define your expectations with respect to what you mean by machining aluminum. The one thing that is obvious here is that what I might consider to be minimally acceptable for machining aluminum would be overkill for what others will accept.

So what I will say outright here is that 12 mm round rails will not be good enough for machining aluminum. For me that means being able to cut to a depth of half the end mills diameter with end mills in the 3/8" to 1/2" range. Technically you can get just about any router to cut aluminum given enough time and a small diameter cutter but you might not like the results.

If the machine is to be focused on machining aluminum I'd most certainly consider profile rails. Being a smaller machine the cost will be reasonable and frankly there are many opportunities for shorter linear rails at discount on E-Bay. I'm not dead set against round rails but by the time you buy something large enough and stiff enough for use on a router you might as well buy profile rails.

Sadly without a picture I can't see what you have in mind for a mechanical design. Given that I will point out that no matter what you go with, the rails need to be well supported with a stiff structure. The lack of well supported linear bearings have had a very negative impact on many DIY designs.

Downloads
    Uploads

So what I will say outright here is that 12 mm round rails will not be good enough for machining aluminum. For me that means being able to cut to a depth of half the end mills diameter with end mills in the 3/8" to 1/2" range.
    Most routers can't do this, even with THK rails.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    Most routers can't do this, even with THK rails.
    This is very true but that is as much an issue of simply not being able to make a large DIY machine stiff enough. The original poster is looking at a smallish machine which has a much higher potential of achieving results close to this.

This brings up an interesting point, people looking to machine aluminum would likely be far better off building a short span machine vs something with a 4 foot span. At least if they want to keep costs reasonable for a DIY machine.