Need Help! New build/Tinyg router RF interference?

Thread: New build/Tinyg router RF interference?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default New build/Tinyg router RF interference?

Hi guys,
    I just finished building a CNC router of my own design. I am a woodworker and cabinet maker. I chose what I thought were the best features from several different designs. I'll make a more detailed post on a dedicated build thread. It has 1/2" 2 start lead screws powered by (4) 340 oz/in steppers (2 on the y axis). It has 2 NO limit switches on each axis. The controller is a TinyG with a 24 v power supply. For now, I'm using my laptop, but I plan on a permanently installed pc in the control box area. It also has a 120v relay that is triggered from the spindle control on the tinyg. The router is a Bosch 1617evs.

I spent the weekend wiring everything up and setting up the tinyg. I had it finding it's limits and setting the 0 point. I was able to run some test files with the router off. When I triggered the relay and turned the router on the tinyg would lose it's usb connection and shut down. I would have to reset the tinyg to re-establish the connection. I think I know what might be the problem. All of the control cables and the router power run parallel in 2 pieces of drag chain for over 10 ft. I stripped the shielding on the stepper control cable, but I havn'e grounded it yet. I'm pretty sure I'm RF interference from the router.

Opinions?

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New build/Tinyg router RF interference?-20170223_062307_zpsqld3tc2o-jpg   New build/Tinyg router RF interference?-20170223_062314_zpsfhuycphj-jpg   New build/Tinyg router RF interference?-20170305_083715_zpsjjcp6alt-jpg   New build/Tinyg router RF interference?-20170305_083730_zpspgfxyged-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: New build/Tinyg router RF interference?

Have you tried to power your router without the relay? Try to manually power on the router and see if the USB connection holds.

Nice looking machine!

Downloads
    Uploads

I use GRBL, which is also a USB microcontroller arrangement for machine control and have found a few things relevant to your situation.

1. Looking at your USB cable I can tell it is a "small" one and is likely cheap. Invest in a good quality "thick" USB cable that has ferrite beads at both ends which will help cut noise and connection dropping. There is definitely a difference when it comes to USB cables. Also get the right cable instead of using the adapter like you have.

2. I located the microcontroller and Steeper drives within a steel enclosure to provide shielding with no 110V AC within that box.

3. The stepper cables are grounded at the box enclosure end.

4. The limit switch wires are CAT 5 wire I had lying around with the shield also grounded to the box. I also have 0.1uF capacitors from the limit pins to the ground pin on the microcontroller.

I have found these microcontrollers work great but they are definitely susceptible to noise issues. Enclosures, shielding and noise filtering need to be used for reliability.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the advice 109jb. I will upgrade my usb cable. It was what we had laying around. I grounded the stepper cable shielding. I really don't want to replace my limit switch wires. Hopefully the new usb cable will help. will help. I have the day off, so I will get it today and report back.

Downloads
    Uploads

How big is the table? Did you use lead screws or thread rods for each axis and what size?

Thanks