Need advise for retrofitting old XY table

Thread: Need advise for retrofitting old XY table

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Need advise for retrofitting old XY table

I have an old swiss made zund p2000 6'x8' vacuum cutting table that seems very solid mechanically. the x & y axis are rack & pinion with heavy rails but the z axis functions same as a common vinyl sign cutter - seems to be a solenoid. I can't find any markings but t appears to be servo driven. The controller cabinet is fried.
    Rather than try to restore the machine with old technology I think putting new steppers in it as well as replacing the rest of the electronics is the best idea.

I'm looking for advise on rebuilding this machine with new technology - motors, controllers, etc. Ideally I would mount a donek drag knife when completed. I've considered purchasing a turnkey cnc kit from cncrouterparts.com for $500 to $1000 and machining new motor mounts. Both axis turn about 1 inch per motor revolution. I'm new to building cnc so i'm looking for confirmation that my thinking is correct. Anything else I should be considering?

Thanks for looking.

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Need advise for retrofitting old XY table-zund-p2000-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Need advise for retrofitting old XY table

See if the original motors can be re-used. Pull one off and google any ID you can find on it. If they are steppers, it should be simple to find new drivers that will work with them. If they are servos with brushes, chances are they can be driven pretty easily with something like a Gecko G320. If not, yes, you can always replace them with new motors and drivers, although the racks and pinions shouldn't need replacement.

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Need advise for retrofitting old XY table

Hi Mark,

I found this thread and was wondering how you did. I have the same machine and I'd like to retro it as well. Any insights?

Ken