Urgent help needed. TIA

Thread: Urgent help needed. TIA

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Urgent help needed. TIA

Hi There.

Okay, Machine has been running without electrical fault for nearly two years. I'm now getting an odd issue where the y axis (2 x slaved nema23 planetary boxes run from x 2 dsp mosfet drivers) stopped and would judder tying to go on but not a stall whine, Both motors. and I then find the connectors for my z motor are hot to the point where the red insulation has gone black. The 3 dsp drivers share a single 48v psu. X is on its on toroidal transformer. The z runs fine and the motor is warm but not overly hot. Why are the automotive connectors overheating? They are not anywhere near any other cables or any grounded parts immediately around the connector. (Hanging in mid air currently). And what does this have to do with my two slaved y drivers.

Thanks for reading, hope you can shed some light on this. Is it possible that the z single dsp driver is drawing current away from two slaved y drivers? TIA

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by Jon.N.CNC; 02-27-2017 at 02:25 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Urgent help needed. TIA

Update.. Ive let connectors cool. and when machine switched on and the connectors and wires around connectors get hot immediately, (bullet type automotive ones)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Further update. air cutting same sheet that has shown issues with the y and monitoring voltage across the 3 x dsp drives @ 47.7 - 47.8v constant. Changed connectors for new ones now they are staying cool which is good

not seen the issue again in the y yet So is there any scenario that those z connectors could have caused the y to have issues? Tia

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

No help here then

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi
    just found your post today

what's motor current set to ?

I expect your problem will be due to the connectors being make down to a price and / or you had a poor crimped joint

once you pass a high current through a joint with an excessive resistance the heat generated will oxidise and soften the contacts
    resulting in even more damaging heat

John

PS
    GeckoDrive.com supply four high current 9 pin connectors for the same reason
    as many D-type connectors found online are only suitable for use on low current signal cables
    and not the possible 3.5A from a G540 stepper motor drive