New Machine Build Machine 3 - 8020 + Linear Rail + High Speed Ballscrews + GRBL - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Machine 3 - 8020 + Linear Rail + High Speed Ballscrews + GRBL

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Machine 3 - 8020 + Linear Rail + High Speed Ballscrews + GRBL

I like what you've designed here. It's simple and effective. Overall, looks pretty darn good. Nice work.

The one thing from your video is that it looks like the machine is shaking around quite a bit? What kind of acceleration settings are you using? Is the machine flexing?

I can't really tell what's bolted to the table frame? Do you think if you added some large gussets to the front and back between your Y axis beams and the small cross beams and also ensured that the small cross beams were thoroughly bolted to your table frame that this might help?

Also perhaps some gussets to tie in your Y axis beams directly to the frame?

Like I said I can't really tell how your machine is attached to the frame. Overall, I really like your design, but something is flexing quite a bit? Or is the camera just shaking around a bit because you're holding it?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Accel is at 500mm or 20ips. The table still needs to be boxed in this week and should stop the slop it has in the Y direction from being bolted together along the short cross members. No I could not bring a fully welded table into my basement.

Once the machine is done ill be making a overview video and all that jazz. The 4040 rails are bolted to the table with 1/8 steel angle. If something moves, it's the whole table top due to leverage and lack of welds (42" high work surface). The feet are not moving

Luthier/Woodworker/Machinist in NS, Canada.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'm up to 3.5m/min (160ipm) without resonance or binding. I have one weird spot about 12" from the drive end that I'm not sure about. Maybe the ballnut needs a repack, it helped with my old machine.

Two 50v/4.5A drivers in the mail as well. Currently limited to 38V/3.5A so "should" get 1/4 more power, right?

Alu is cutting at 050" DOC and 50ipm. This machine is nice and rugged. Cuts .625" MDF with 1/4 bit before I stall the spindle, and no finish pass needed because no deflection.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Finally got my grease and can cut now at 250 ipm.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by jahnj0584 View Post

Lots has changed! About 300 screws, a dozen or so plates to make at work, and 4 custom ball screws.

25x50x5 cut area
    600ipm rapids
    is there a specific reason why you chose to make the y-axis the long one instead of the X? I.e. Is there a design benefit or was it based on cost or some parts you already had on hand?

I had assumed that most people made the x-axis the long one because a longer gantry might be less rigid

I like how you have used extrusions as gantry risers instead of those thin aluminum plates sold with most diy kits. I have gone with a similar design style for my build. It just seems like it would be more stable.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

A longer Y does cost more then this set up. My workshop orientation is also long-ways so the machine fits a lot better this way.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

How are you liking your machine?

I've recently inherited some linear rails and steppers, and now I'm falling down the rabbit hole of creating a CNC router. Your design looks very clean and fairly simple to build. I've got a few questions, if you don't mind...

Are the extrusions precision-milled or anything like that, on the flats where you've mounted the linear rails?
    Are you cutting Aluminum at all on it?
    Are the cutting dimensions from your first post still accurate? (2'x4'x6.5" [y,x,z])
    How much does that long gantry flex when you're cutting? I notice some wiggle in the video on some cuts.

Thank you!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

no complaints anymore, just got to get around to making a touch plate and estop-box. I couldve milled the flats for the linear rails at work, but the extrusions are within tolerance for what I cut and make anyways. If I need less then .002 part accuracy, I'd have to dial in the cut wether or not my rails were perfectly flat,planar, square, etc. Yes Ive cut aluminum. It handles it fine. Spindle is a bit weak though. Maybe when I have a spare 600$ Ill get a 2.2kw. I have a 630x1220x115mm of work envelope. Can easily cut within a 24*48*5 sheet of material. Flex can be calculated. Its well within tolerance. What wiggling? I think you may have seem circular interpolation and presumed it was the whole machine shaking.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by jahnj0584 View Post
    no complaints anymore, just got to get around to making a touch plate and estop-box. I couldve milled the flats for the linear rails at work, but the extrusions are within tolerance for what I cut and make anyways. If I need less then .002 part accuracy, I'd have to dial in the cut wether or not my rails were perfectly flat,planar, square, etc. Yes Ive cut aluminum. It handles it fine. Spindle is a bit weak though. Maybe when I have a spare 600$ Ill get a 2.2kw. I have a 630x1220x115mm of work envelope. Can easily cut within a 24*48*5 sheet of material. Flex can be calculated. Its well within tolerance. What wiggling? I think you may have seem circular interpolation and presumed it was the whole machine shaking.
    I hope you don't think I'm criticizing, simply trying to ask as many questions as I can. Thank you for replying.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12