Need Help! Fan CFM for blowing aluminum chips

Thread: Fan CFM for blowing aluminum chips

Default Fan CFM for blowing aluminum chips

Hey folks. I did a search but could not seem to find the info I need. I am in the process of building a new DIY CNC (primarily for use with aluminum) and would like to try blowing chips clear of the direct cutting path. I have seen some videos of this method used to good effect - but can't seem to find any info on what CFM would be appropriate for the fan.

I plan on routing the air via tube to some loc-line that will be aimed at the end mill. I was hoping some type of computer cooling fan or squirrel cage type fan might work.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Scott

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Fan CFM for blowing aluminum chips

I don't think a computer fan would work, not enough pressure. Many shop vacs allow you to connect the hose to the outlet, that might work.

Thanks Jim

I'm sure our shop vac would throw enough air - it's always kicking up enough dust when shooting out the back

I know I've seen people use small(ish) fans. They may not have been computer cooling fans - may have just looked similar. Just not sure how much juice they need to get something like aluminum chips out of the way.

Downloads
    Uploads

A fan like one that's in a blow dryer might work also, they seem to put out quite a bit of air.

Good call. That might be a decent option. Nice and compact.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Cutting aluminium is about keeping the cutter cool too. Any small fan blowing into lineloc is going to have pitiful cfm.
    Just hook your compressor up and call it a day.

Thanks for the response Jeff. I've been thinking about how best to cool the end mills as well. I had hoped to have an option other than misting/coolant. That would obviously influence the air/chip removal strategy.

I was trying to avoid the compressor because we use it quite a bit for other things, so didn't want to tie it up for longer jobs. But I may just have to get a small one to handle this and other light duties. I had mocked up a mount for 2 loc-line nozzles - one for removal, one for cooling. Might have to go back to that plan.

Appreciate the tip.

Downloads
    Uploads

I use a salvaged compressor from a refrigerator. By itself it was running a bit too hot at my taste, but after hooking a 120V 120mm fan to it, everything runs cool and great.

That's some good thinking! Unfortunately I don't have a spare fridge around, or I'd be at it with the tools

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by motopreserve View Post
    Thanks for the response Jeff. I've been thinking about how best to cool the end mills as well. I had hoped to have an option other than misting/coolant. That would obviously influence the air/chip removal strategy.

I was trying to avoid the compressor because we use it quite a bit for other things, so didn't want to tie it up for longer jobs. But I may just have to get a small one to handle this and other light duties. I had mocked up a mount for 2 loc-line nozzles - one for removal, one for cooling. Might have to go back to that plan.

Appreciate the tip.

The compressor wouldn't have to be full out, so as long as it's a decent compressor you should be able to do other things too. Coolant would be the best, both for the lube, cooling, and chip removal.

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm going to give a high-pressure low volume option a go using a .09 orifice on a football type needle.

I've tried this using 3/16 copper tubing with my compressor and it works rather well but uses too much air so the compressor is kicking on fairly frequently, I'm hoping to curb this by using the smaller orifice. Depending on the direction of cut the needle works well, it would work better if it came from 4 sides...

I also thought about the "puff" puff" scenario but struggled to find any type of air supply to generate that type of supply without using some type of switching effect.

Adam,

G540, Rack and Pinion Drives-X/Y axis, 1/2-Ball Screw-Z Axis w/THK HSR 25 Linear Slides, Steppers KL23H2100-35-4B, Power Supply-KL-600-48

Jeff, I figured that I would not need full power for the air flow on the CNC, but unfortunately we do need it for the other machines we use it for (blast cab etc). But I remembered I have an old smaller compressor I can use, and will be trying this out when the machine is complete. If I need to adapt at that point, I will. Coolant would be great to have - and more akin to what I am used to with the manual machines. But I am not sure if I am prepared to take on that task immediately with this build. The collection is what gives me anxiety. Do you have a coolant setup on your rig??? Hoping air might get me through for the first phase of testing etc. Then I can dive into the coolant apparatus if it becomes the clear choice.

Adam, thanks for the response. I too have thought about the "puff" option, but just not sure how to make that happen. I've seen it mentioned, but have not done enough research to be confident in a method. Sounds like you may be onto something with reducing the diameter of the final air passage. Please report back when you give it a try. Might help me (and others) figure out the best system.

Appreciate all the help folks.

Scott

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by motopreserve View Post
    I too have thought about the "puff" option, but just not sure how to make that happen.
    You might want to use an electric/pneumatic valve wired with a LM555

Quote Originally Posted by dddman View Post
    You might want to use an electric/pneumatic valve wired with a LM555
    Now THAT would be getting fancy. This too would be an option I'd have to put in the "Phase 2" column. But a really nice solution.