New Machine Build G540 - 4Axis, wood cutting with nema 23's

Thread: G540 - 4Axis, wood cutting with nema 23's

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default G540 - 4Axis, wood cutting with nema 23's

Hi guys, I finally finished my big router, with 2.2kw Chinese water cooled spindle, and Nena 23's.

I was trying to find the max speed and acceleration , by individualy ramping up speed, until one motor stalled. Then speed down and tamping up acceleration.

I found an acceleration to be about 20% of Max motor speed. On the 10 pitch 7000 mm/min dual y axis, and 10,000mm/min on the x axis.

What else is affecting pples decision to set the max axis speed ? Is it purely what doesn't ham or is there more to it, or another way to test ?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: G540 - 4Axis, wood cutting with nema 23's

You seem to be basically on the right track, but the idea is to find the stall point and back off of that significantly, by 25% or so, to give yourself a safety margin. If 20% gives you good performance without lost steps that's great, but if not, cut that to 10% of velocity and try that.

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    You seem to be basically on the right track, but the idea is to find the stall point and back off of that significantly, by 25% or so, to give yourself a safety margin. If 20% gives you good performance without lost steps that's great, but if not, cut that to 10% of velocity and try that.
    Thanks for the advice. Will try it.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: G540 - 4Axis, wood cutting with nema 23's

Max RPM comes from: Motor torque curve, Voltage supply, and micro stepping. Multiply the RPM max by your ballscrew pitch to get your top speed. Make sure this speed is below your ballscrews critical speed and you'll be happy. My new 475ozin motors on 48V can do 30m/min but the 1500mm long 2010 is only rated for 9.6m/min!

Inductance and amperage effect the motors top speed. The lower they are, the faster it can spin. I set the acceleration by feel. For 4500mm/min max speed, I use 120mm2 as the accel. I could probably increase it with better shaft alignment. My Z is 8000 and 200

Luthier/Woodworker/Machinist in NS, Canada.