Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Black Beast

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: The Black Beast

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    What are the solenoid valves for?
    That was a surplus find that I'm planning to incorporate into my coolant mister. Right now it's going to be manually controlled with a regulator and ball valves, but once everything else is running properly I want to set it up so I can control mist coolant or an air nozzle via the computer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Looks like a nice spindle with ceramic bearing should serve you well

Russ

Thanks for the update, Andrew. Looking good!

Ed

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

It's finally moving. I was having some reset errors with UCCNC that wouldn't go away, but somehow after scratching my head and swearing at the computer, today things decided to work. I still need to get the software tuned better before cutting anything but at least I got to see something move today. I'm now able to see a few more things that I'll need to deal with regarding the machine as well.

One problem I noticed was making sure the gantry is perfectly square when it homes. The proximity sensors are being triggered by bolt heads screwed into the T slot, and the bolts can be moved back and forth until they both trigger at the same time. Making fine adjustments is tricky though, so I may end up reworking this. I used a gauge block to set the bolt heads originally, thinking it was overkill, however I am seeing that each proximity sensor must be triggering in a slightly different spot as this method led to an unsquare gantry. I then manually readjusted the gantry and indicated it square, and tightened the bolts exactly where they triggered the sensors. All looked good until I homed the machine again and it was out of square again.

Another project is going to be making sure the legs get more bracing and more weight is added to the base, as I noticed the machine will shake a little when I crank up the jog speed. Also tuning the acceleration and deceleration will help as well.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

So the proximity sensors needed a new trigger system, as the bolt heats and T nut setup was way too finicky for me. My new setup is pretty simple, just a block that mounts to the T slot with a tapped end and a bolt that is screwed in parallel to the axis. The block is plastic and the threads are tapped a little undersize so there's no way this will vibrate and change position. This setup appears to be repeatable to under .001" as long as I don't home to quickly.

The Black Beast-img_3177-jpg

The Black Beast-img_3176-jpg

Tuning the acceleration has cut down on the amount of shake when the gantry starts and stops. An unfortunate consequence of this tuning is that short moves won't be able to get up to full speed, which has been obvious when I ran some G-Code for a 3D surface.

The Black Beast-img_3175-jpg

Calibration was quite easy too, although my initial math was off because I assumed the easy servo's would use the same formula as a standard stepper, which would be 300 steps per rev @ 1.2 degrees per step. After a quick call to leadshine they explained that the drivers have a default programming of 4000 pulses per rev. This should be more than enough resolution, although they mentioned that I can change the motor settings to get up to 51 000 pulses per rev. When the settings were dialed in I did a quick test with the indicator and moved the gantry 1mm, which was dead on.

The electrical side still needs more work, even though the machine is running. I need to get the VFD connected to the UC300 and I need to get a better electrical enclosure.

Downloads
    Uploads

Looking good! I have a 4x8 on the way so I will be following your build closely.

Have you built anything for your cable trays yet?
    What are your plans for the machine bed?

I just picked up a nice used Controller cabinet off ebay you may want to check there if you haven't already. This is what I pick up. Rittal AE1039 Standard Enclosure 600X380X210mm Qty | eBay

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Andrew22

Looks like my mechanical kit will arrive next week :-)

I have a couple of questions for you if I may please.

What is the size of the drag chain you using?
    Do you have a part number on proximity switches you using please?

Thanks

Ian

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hey Shane,

Nice score on the controller cabinet. I'd buy one of those in a second if it were just a little bigger. Keeping my eye out for something surplus as I haven't come across a reasonably priced new cabinet yet.

I've made some brackets for cable trays and an MDF shelf that bolts to the legs. It works ok, but a perforated sheet metal tray would be better as I'm sure this one will collect dust once I start actually cutting stuff. As far as the bed goes, I'm starting with MDF until I decide what's best for my work set up. The goal is to have a flexible system that can be removed easily if needed, and eventually I plan on adding an adjustable sub bed for 3D printing. Still waiting for word on what is going on with taller gantry sides. By the time I bolt an MDF top down I'll only have 4.5" of clearance under the gantry despite having 12" of Z travel, so I'd like to fix that too.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I think the drag chain is 35 x 75. Not sure about the proximity switches, all that stuff came with the kit.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Any chance you know the bolt/screw spacing on the block that attaches to the z axis linear rail guides (0101). I'm thinking of building a mount or purchasing one that makes tramming easier. I wrote George to see if hed send me the technical drawing haven't heard back yet.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by jlatta82 View Post
    Any chance you know the bolt/screw spacing on the block that attaches to the z axis linear rail guides (0101). I'm thinking of building a mount or purchasing one that makes tramming easier. I wrote George to see if hed send me the technical drawing haven't heard back yet.
    Not offhand I don't. While there have been other shortcomings I've had to work around and redesign, the Z axis has been fairly easy to tram.

Good luck getting drawings, I'm still waiting to hear back about specs for taller uprights for the gantry. George is very protective when it comes to drawings and models, even though it would add a lot of value to share them with customers.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew22 View Post
    Not offhand I don't. While there have been other shortcomings I've had to work around and redesign, the Z axis has been fairly easy to tram.

Good luck getting drawings, I'm still waiting to hear back about specs for taller uprights for the gantry. George is very protective when it comes to drawings and models, even though it would add a lot of value to share them with customers.

Just out of curiosity where did you get the plate that your spindle is attached to?

Also I've been thinking I may have went the wrong way with using a router vs a spindle? Did you get your spindle through George?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by jlatta82 View Post
    Just out of curiosity where did you get the plate that your spindle is attached to?

Also I've been thinking I may have went the wrong way with using a router vs a spindle? Did you get your spindle through George?
    I bought the plate from George, however I ended up having to drill a few extra mounting holes for so I could use a different hole pattern. The spindle was ordered separately, and while it's a fair bit more expensive than a router, there is almost no measurable runnout (.0002") and it is way quieter. The only thing I wish I had was an automatic tool changer, but I'll save that for another day.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123