Starting my build...

Page 1 of 15 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: Starting my build...

Default Starting my build...

I've been studying for a while now and I'm taking the plunge. I've got my rail and Z axis. SBR16 1,150mm Y and 800mm X. I'm going to build a torsion box gantry...hopefully very stiff. Here's an overview of what I want to do...

The 800mm gantry torsion box was just a little to large to cut out on my current CNC machine, a Shapeoko2, so a friend cut the pieces out on his very large machine..

Torsion box under construction...

I'm going to cut the torsion box ribs out on my machine and finish the structure. I was tempted to go without the ribs as the box is very rigid like it is, but I'll go ahead. The box is made out of 3/4" MDF and it might be on the heavy side. I have two NEMA23 270oz motors to move the Y Axis.

I'm not an engineer so I don't have a rigidity analysis on the structure, but a lot of the advice I saw here was to go for it, learn a lot, then modify if necessary. That's my plan. The box is alreay more rigid than the Shapeoko2 X axis and my hope was to built a rigid machine capable of aiding me in building electric guitars.

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Starting my build...-g4251-7-jpg   Starting my build...-g4251-7-jpg   Starting my build...-20160416_100833-jpg   Starting my build...-20160416_133214-jpg  

Default Re: Starting my build...

A few other tidbits. I plan on using 1/2-10 5 start acme screws. Not sure of the drivers yet...I bought the motors from us.stepperonline.com and Bo told me they have a brand new professional (not hobby grade) version of the TB6560. The driver isn't listed yet on their website. I just might give that a try.

Ahead of the drivers will be Windows 10 to an Arduino Uno running GRBL. This setup has served me well with the Shapeoko2.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Biggest problem with the TB6560 is magic smoke that magically appears from the TB6560AHQ chips when the motors are connected incorrectly and the fact that if you do this the board is useless unless you can se solder and solder in a new one that costs about $2.
    I have used many of these boards without any problem but have repaired a few for people that plug steppers in and power on with incorrect wiring, they always deny it to begin wth and admit doing so when I tell them I have to double their bills in case more work is needed on a faulty board, so check and double check and you will have no problems.

Oh yea...I can solder on new chips. I've built my own ham radios and tube and solid state guitar amps. Bo is offering a discounted price to the first few buyers of the driver, but I'm not yet ready to buy them. The normal price is going to be $49 but he's offering it for $41.64 for now.

I'm assuming by professional he means thicker boards, heavier traces...overall better construction.

I saw an earlier post Louis where you said the TB6560 had worked great for you if properly hooked up. That gave me some confidence in ordering.

Quote Originally Posted by Louis_Cannell View Post
    Biggest problem with the TB6560 is magic smoke that magically appears from the TB6560AHQ chips when the motors are connected incorrectly and the fact that if you do this the board is useless unless you can se solder and solder in a new one that costs about $2.
    I have used many of these boards without any problem but have repaired a few for people that plug steppers in and power on with incorrect wiring, they always deny it to begin wth and admit doing so when I tell them I have to double their bills in case more work is needed on a faulty board, so check and double check and you will have no problems.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have seen professional grade boards which were exactly the same as $20 chinese boards just the price professional it can be same boards from same factory someone imported and calls them professional indicating they're better because he imported them and will make a nice mark up.
    Had a job with some professional voltage regulator buck converters recently that were not only cheap imports but IC's had been laser etched to add HV onto chip identification (faked) a company had used these and had several burst into flames they were obtained from a reputable supplier that had been conned himself. A llot of the chinese stuff etc is better quality than it used to be, as I say lots of calling these units because of user error, they do not have polarity protection as default so with a pro unit I would expect that to be standard, not very offen a problem of components or board quality form my experience cheap board and pro all use toshiba drivers hence the board id.

Downloads
    Uploads

6560 = big mistake...

Polarity protection is something I can build. I have been known to get ahead of myself, or get distracted, and hook things up improperly and let the smoke out. I know better, but sometimes I don't do better...LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Louis_Cannell View Post
    I have seen professional grade boards which were exactly the same as $20 chinese boards just the price professional it can be same boards from same factory someone imported and calls them professional indicating they're better because he imported them and will make a nice mark up.
    Had a job with some professional voltage regulator buck converters recently that were not only cheap imports but IC's had been laser etched to add HV onto chip identification (faked) a company had used these and had several burst into flames they were obtained from a reputable supplier that had been conned himself. A llot of the chinese stuff etc is better quality than it used to be, as I say lots of calling these units because of user error, they do not have polarity protection as default so with a pro unit I would expect that to be standard, not very offen a problem of components or board quality form my experience cheap board and pro all use toshiba drivers hence the board id.

I do hear you and know that I may be taking some risk. The gshield I'm using now could run the motors, but the motors are rated at the top of the boards current capacity.

Quote Originally Posted by A_Camera View Post
    6560 = big mistake...

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm a fan of torsion boxes. They are an elegant solution in my opinion.

Cool...I've read on here that weight is my friend and I guess I'm going to find that out. With using 3/4" MDF the gantry is going to be weighty.

Quote Originally Posted by manofmanyhats View Post
    I'm a fan of torsion boxes. They are an elegant solution in my opinion.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by fretman_2 View Post
    Cool...I've read on here that weight is my friend and I guess I'm going to find that out. With using 3/4" MDF the gantry is going to be weighty.
    Weight is only your friend if your machine can handle it. But yes, the lower the weight, the lower the resonant frequency generally meaning the more prone to vibration. But there will always be tradeoffs. Building heavier means beefier linear rails, and more powerful motors. Being you're using round linear rail, you have to build an incredibly massive MDF structure to even come near their load capacity.

A search here in this forum for 6560 should net some horrific results... you have been warned.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The TB6600 or THB6064 are far better than the 6560. And TB6600 drives are $10 - $20 each on ebay, now. Few decisions in CNC design are a no brainer. This is one.

David Malicky

Cool...TB6600 sounds good...I'll look at them on eBay. Good price too...thanks!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dmalicky View Post
    The TB6600 or THB6064 are far better than the 6560. And TB6600 drives are $10 - $20 each on ebay, now. Few decisions in CNC design are a no brainer. This is one.

Got ribs cut for the gantry torsion box beam.

Starting my build...-20160417_183752-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

Does TB6600 have mid band resonance damping? Current idle circuitry?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

fretman, there are a number of versions of it. Don't get those labeled HY-DIV268N or Rattm (red circuit board) -- those have many issues.
    The best implementation appears to be this one (used to be on ebay, but I didn't see it now): TB6600 1 axis Stepper Motor 2-phase Driver Board for CNC Router [HY-TB6600-Module] - US $16.00 : HAOYU Electronics : Make Engineers Job Easier
    I tested it among some others a few years ago -- Haoyu was the best of them, and it works quite well.
    I just bought these 2 versions, but have not tested them yet:
    Single Axis TB6600 DC12 45V Two Phase Hybrid Stepper Motor Driver Controller Lo | eBay
    4A CNC Single Axis 4A TB6600 2 4 Phase Hybrid Stepper Motor Drivers Controller | eBay

This THB6064 is also very good, probably better than the Haoyu: New THB6064AH JP 6445A Single Axis Stepper Motor Driver | eBay

Louie, to clarify, I didn't mean TB6600 over any other drive. Just compared to other low-end drives like TB6560. It does have idle current reduction, and I have heard it has some mid band damping, but I'm sure it is not as good as Gecko or a digital drive.

David Malicky

Downloads
    Uploads

fretman, there are a number of versions of it. Don't get those labeled HY-DIV268N or Rattm (red circuit board) -- those have many issues.
    The best implementation appears to be this one (used to be on ebay, but I didn't see it now): TB6600 1 axis Stepper Motor 2-phase Driver Board for CNC Router [HY-TB6600-Module] - US $16.00 : HAOYU Electronics : Make Engineers Job Easier
    I tested it among some others a few years ago -- Haoyu was the best of them, and it works quite well.
    Single Axis TB6600 DC12 45V Two Phase Hybrid Stepper Motor Driver Controller Lo | eBay
    4A CNC Single Axis 4A TB6600 2 4 Phase Hybrid Stepper Motor Drivers Controller | eBay

This THB6064 is also very good, probably better than the Haoyu: New THB6064AH JP 6445A Single Axis Stepper Motor Driver | eBay

Louie, to clarify, I didn't mean TB6600 over any other drive. Just compared to other low-end drives like TB6560. It does have idle current reduction, and I have heard it has some mid band damping, but I'm sure it is not as good as Gecko or a digital drive.
    Have to check these out... Thanks for the head's up, and thanks for your contributions here, been very helpful to me and others!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Glad to hear it's helpful!

David Malicky

Wow...great info David...that helps a lot!!! Like Louie said...many thanks for you contributions!

David...can you recommend a power supply to go along with those drivers?

Page 1 of 15 123411 ... LastLast