Looking for advice on first cnc build

Thread: Looking for advice on first cnc build

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Looking for advice on first cnc build

Hello everyone. I'm new to the world of CNC so please excuse my "newbie-ism." I'm looking to build my first CNC machine but I need a little guidance and advice with a few things.

First off, I'm on a budget so cost is pretty important at this time. However, I hope to upgrade some of the materials for a more solid machine (like starting with mdf and then later on replacing components with aluminum, etc.) later on. I want to use my first machine as a stepping stone for bigger and better machines later on down the line. For now I was thinking of starting out with 200 Oz In. steppers that I saw at a surplus store. I'll get better steppers later on. Or should I wait until I have the money and just go for brand new steppers?

Second, I'll only be cutting into wood, plastic, and possibly aluminum sheet metal at first. I would like to cut vinyl sheet/film (like a vinyl plotter/cutter), but I don't know where to begin with that. I need to learn more about vinyl plotter/cutter blades before I even attempt to take that on. I think that I'll use my Dremel for now and once I have the need for something bigger, I'll get a trim router or something. Will Dremel be adequate for now?

As of now, I have yet to decide on what plans to go with. I'm leaning toward a Solsylva plan. Could it be possible to add the vinyl film cutting capability to one of these plans? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Miguel