Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Building stainless steel router

Stepper motors nema 34 1600 oz

Downloads
    Uploads

Your doing a beautiful job man, and you certainly have welding down, especially on that stainless very nice. Keep the pictures coming.
    Russ

Downloads
    Uploads

Agree. The stainless looks great.

We just had a detailed discussion about safety circuits and E stop methods in my thread. Basically you can use contactors to cut power to your motor drivers for maximum safety or, cut your enable circuit via your E stop switch and software. It depends on your requirements. It looks like your set up with contactors on your motor drivers already.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks I appreciate any suggestions

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm going to kill power to spindle motor and stepper motors with e-stops. The relays for steppers will short leads out when e-stop is hit and relays drops out hoping to act as break. The controls will be turned on and off with start stop switch and MC relay. The chances of this working are probably slim to none but after the fire is out I'll know which wires were shorted out. Thanks again for kind words.

Downloads
    Uploads

It's probably not a good idea to short the spindle wires for a braking effect. The VFD will have a braking resistor to handle deceleration of the spindle. And if it doesn't do it fast enough for you, an external resistor can be added to stop it faster. It's not advisable to disconnect the spindle from the VFD for E stop or other safety circuits when it's running. Rather, cut the power to the VFD. Same with your steppers. Cut the power to the drives, don't interrupt the circuit between drives and steppers.

Just a suggestion but I would recommend cutting the enable circuit with your E stop switch as a safety circuit and leaving the power circuits alone.

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm not going to short spindle just stepper motors they don't recommend e-stopping the VFD drive. I'm going to short stepper motors when the power is cut by e-stop relays. The drives will be isolated from stepper motor so I do see them being hurt. I'm looking at break resister and will hook up as soon asI get it figured out. All high power will be killed with e-stop. Hope this make more sense.

Downloads
    Uploads

Well, it's an unconventional method..., let us know how it works.

Downloads
    Uploads

You are right I was wrong the contractor to the VFD is dropped before VFD killing all power to it by safety e-stop 2 channel relay which has a time delay giving time for the brake to work before killing power to contactor. I see that I have to install brake resister so I need to locate one. Thanks for correcting me.

Downloads
    Uploads

extremely neat job. looks good

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by grg_p View Post
    I'm not going to short spindle just stepper motors they don't recommend e-stopping the VFD drive. I'm going to short stepper motors when the power is cut by e-stop relays. The drives will be isolated from stepper motor so I do see them being hurt. I'm looking at break resister and will hook up as soon asI get it figured out. All high power will be killed with e-stop. Hope this make more sense.
    Awesome build!

You should not, however, short your stepper motors; rather just the input power going into the drive, or easier short power to the PSU. If you short it at the stepper motor side you could blow up your stepper drives...

Downloads
    Uploads

Relays will drop out the stepper motors from the drive that's when I will short out motor leads to each other to act as a brake. The drives will be isolated by relays and power to drives will be disconnected by safety relay. I will have to play with this to see how it works. I got my brake resister in for my VFD drive. All power to drives power supplys relays will be killed with safety relay. High power will be killed with contactors by safety relay also. I ordered a masso motion controller. I've already changed homing switches for dropping end table and safety switches. Wanted them to work with out having to do anything besides homing and if it homes with power up that will take care of it self if I cycle controller when raising table end up and down. As you can see I don't draw things up ahead of time which make for a lot of changes on the fly. I need to sit down and learn cad program but right now it's just easier to build it then draw it all up ahead of time. I haven't spent a lot of time with the control wiring yet but once motion controller gets here I can start getting a better handle on it. Just waiting for parts to get here so I start cutting my dust collector and getting vacuum pumps figured out.

Downloads
    Uploads

Relays will drop out the stepper motors from the drive that's when I will short out motor leads to each other to act as a brake.
    Disconnecting a spinning motor from a drive will likely kill the drive.
    The fastest way to stop a stepper is to just stop sending steps. A stepper won't move if no steps are being sent to the drives, so cutting power to stepper drives is big time overkill, and doesn't really accomplish anything. Just run the enable signals through a relay and kill those.

I got my brake resister in for my VFD drive.
    I hope you don't have a Huanyang VFD. I got a braking resistor, and then found that the drive is missing the circuitry to use it.

I ordered a masso motion controller
    Hopefully they've improved them. Another thread here said that the software end was lacking, and they weren't yet fully functional??

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

I'll have to check the VFD to see if the brake resistor circuit is there it is a Huanyang.
    I'll change my relays to disconnect the enable not motor leads thanks for the tip.
    I know they are updating the software to add features and hardware I hope it works. The first controller I bought on e-bay from China I ended up sending back. So I hope the masso controller will work.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by grg_p View Post
    Relays will drop out the stepper motors from the drive that's when I will short out motor leads to each other to act as a brake. The drives will be isolated by relays and power to drives will be disconnected by safety relay. I will have to play with this to see how it works. I got my brake resister in for my VFD drive. All power to drives power supplys relays will be killed with safety relay. High power will be killed with contactors by safety relay also. I ordered a masso motion controller. I've already changed homing switches for dropping end table and safety switches. Wanted them to work with out having to do anything besides homing and if it homes with power up that will take care of it self if I cycle controller when raising table end up and down. As you can see I don't draw things up ahead of time which make for a lot of changes on the fly. I need to sit down and learn cad program but right now it's just easier to build it then draw it all up ahead of time. I haven't spent a lot of time with the control wiring yet but once motion controller gets here I can start getting a better handle on it. Just waiting for parts to get here so I start cutting my dust collector and getting vacuum pumps figured out.
    I've done it and seen it done on the Z axis where the ballscrew backdrives causing the carriage to drop. On the other axes it is for sure overkill and may not be desirable. There could be a potential situation where you may need to manually move an axis but you can't do so easily because of the stepper short locking up that axis. There's also no guarantee that the relay won't fail, and if it does while the drive is running you will over-current the drive and fry it. While the other three axes may still be running.

I also personally do not want to rely on just cutting the enable signal to stop the drives; though it's probably fine for just pausing the system. The only way you'll be 100% sure that no motors move is to cut the power to all drives.

Downloads
    Uploads

If I understand you correctly, my MC relay is dropping out power supplys to stepper drives and power to VFD. My safety relay will drop enable to controllers for steppers and MC relay. The motion controller is connected to e-stop circuit with e-stop inputs. Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads

Fired up spindle with masso controller and homed stepper motors today put pressure sensor for water pump and DRO for table height. Got pendant controller made for table extension and table height. Building stainless steel router-img_2500-jpg

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Building stainless steel router-img_2500-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Building stainless steel router-64b20b35-bcf7-41a6-ae08-59d501fad37a-jpg
    I’m going to try and make vacuum table insert to put in my vice. I’m using Vcarve pro and I’m not very good with it. My question is how do you do a grid pattern. I’m really struggling doing square pattern for the 1/4” foam rope seal. I would really like some help with this. The vacuum top is 17.5”x 49”. Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads

Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast