Using a flex axis extender

Thread: Using a flex axis extender

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Using a flex axis extender

Hello all

I wonder if will be useful to use a flex axis extender (I don't know the correct term in english, I mean the flexible tool used to reach difficult places with a drill) in order to have less weigth in Z-axis and through this way being able to use cheaper steppers and electronics.

I have't seen this approach until now so maybe is well known but has well known drawbacks that I can't guess..

Thanks in advance and pardon again about my bad english.

/S

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Sounds like a goiod idea but, I the size of the steppers is to provide a movment in relation to the cutting force, not the weight of the z. The more robust (weight) a machine the more accurate.

Thank You,
    Paul G

Check out-
    [URL="http://www.signs101.com"]www.signs101.com[/URL]

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I was thinking about a flex shaft on a router. Stick the router in a ventelated, but pretty soundproof box, and you don't get annoid. The tolerences in the flex shaft may not be too good though.

Stop talking about it and do it already!!!!!

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Well, I always thougth about the Z assembly only working to raise and down the tool, and X&Y working to move the piece, or the machine relative to the piece.

Probaly my mistake when refering to 'the steppers' when wanting to say 'the Z-Axis stepper'.

/U

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

CNC admin is absolutly right. If you have proper slides, the assemly should still be reletively easy to move, regardless of weight (horizontal at least...vertical does have to account for weight, but keep in mind the mechanical advantage of different screw pitches). I like the idea of a flex shaft for ease of mounting, and possible sound deadening.

Stop talking about it and do it already!!!!!

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

when i first got started into it i used a dremal with a flex shaft the problem i had was once there was a load on it it would lose rpm i also did it with a flex shaft tool grizzly sells and still the same problem