new cheap mdf machine - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: new cheap mdf machine

Downloads
    Uploads

Jumpin Gas Pipes and Roller Blades Crankies got competition!!!

Sounds like you have the desire, and drive, but you know what they say “the proofs in the pudding.”

Good luck and keep those post and pictures comin.

Hager

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Hager, diggin on the positive re-inforcement daddy-o. More updates to come this weekend. Getting my metal lathe tommorrow, my first real machine tool (Harbor Freight "real" at least). Ready to have some fun!

Stop talking about it and do it already!!!!!

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Default HF Lathe

So are you gonna turn some rails for that MDF... er I mean PB machine of yours? Heck you could turn some plane bushings at the same time!

Seriously though, I bought my father one of those tiny lathes. It really is fun! But I think I would rather have a cnc lathe. Are there any MDF lathes on this board yet? Or can your HF lathe be converted?

Hey maybe a set of plans... can you come up with some MDF cnc lathe plans really quick?

Mike...

Originally posted by Hobbiest
    Thanks Hager, diggin on the positive re-inforcement daddy-o. More updates to come this weekend. Getting my metal lathe tommorrow, my first real machine tool (Harbor Freight "real" at least). Ready to have some fun!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

What do you want to be able to work with it? I've had quite a few ideas kicking around this overworked head of mine! I have been thinking already about CNCing the lathe when I get it, and have some free time. Eventually I may try some bushings for another project, but that is down the road. Gonna turn down the ends of some leadscrew, fit some bearings, and a nut, and sell em on ebay. My wife made a goof at work today, so we need to come up with $1000! Thats on top of all of our pastdue bills! Gotta get back to work!
    BTW...how did I become a "master machinist" (says so under my name up there)?

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Didn't get the lathe...looked like a piece of junk. Looked a bit bigger on the computer screen! Oh well...I have D. Gingery's how to build a metal lathe book, may just do it. Mike...check out the current Shop Notes magazine for instructions on making a wood lathe. Might give you some ideas. I need to fight to keep might ideas suppressed, and focus on one project right now.

Downloads
    Uploads

mikeschn --
    There is a very nice mini-lathe (including 3 options) in the latest issue of ShopNotes. Made of Baltic-Birch Plywood and a real piece of work! Simple enough compared to some of the DIY CNC machines! Make a nice stock rotating tool for a 5 axis? If youre lucky - maybe the preview issue they'll send on request has the plans in it! I can see spinning some ALy and delrin/acetal for bits and pieces on it -- Now where do I park the car!
    http://www.shopnotes.com/main/sn73-toc.html
    Jim

Experience is the BEST Teacher. Is that why it usually arrives in a shower of sparks, flash of light, loud bang, a cloud of smoke, AND -- a BILL to pay? You usually get it -- just after you need it.

Downloads
    Uploads

What lathe was it ? was it the 7 x 10 mini lathe ?

If so it is far from a piece of junk, the 7 x 12 is a better buy though
    check out
    http://www.littlemachineshop.com/Info/minilathe.php
    they have an advert on this site also, lots of different guises of this machine, all built in the one factory.

Check out also www.mini-lathe.com and read some more, you will find this is a very good little machine.

My mate has one for years, marketed as clarke in the UK and is yellow.
    It has 300mm (12") between centres, I do alot of machine myself and can't remember doing anything that long.
    Swing is about 7" which is a fair size too.
    The accuracy of the machine is excellent, and I have cut loads of threads on it as well.
    The four jaw chuck is worth getting and my mate fitted a 5" chuck by following the mod on a web site.
    With this there is not a lot you can't do on it, I just turned down the ends of my 10mm lead screws last night, to a press fit in my bearing.

The reason I am mentioning all this is because I am just about to get one for myself, I have as much use of my mates as I want, but I find it so useful I want one in the workshop beside me.

I have looked at loads of different machines and was thinking about buying a bigger second hand one, but you will probably need to do it up, it will most likely have something broken and will take up two much room, so I keep coming back to the mini lathe.

My reasons are :
    It is accurate,
    nice size for sitting on top of a bench,
    Cheap
    Tons of accessories are available, from loads of different suppliers
    There are Loads of info on the web about it, (one gut has extended it to 20" between centres).
    It will do everything I want.

Nuff said

Last edited by xairflyer; 02-01-2004 at 08:47 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Sorry guys for some reason I posted the same reply twice, it would'nt let me delete it so I am typing this as an edit !!

Last edited by xairflyer; 02-01-2004 at 08:43 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Originally posted by Hobbiest
    BTW...how did I become a "master machinist" (says so under my name up there)?
    It goes by the number of posts you make

Eric

I wish it wouldn't crash.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Balsa...Kinda thought so. Is anybody getting tired of me posting? I talk a lot! That shop notes lathe is pretty nice. I'm trying to think about how to modify it to have a 3/4" spindle bore, driven leadscrew, and cross slide/tool post. Didn't get to work on the CNC this weekend...wife made a $1000 boo boo at work, and has to work it off. Life sucks sometimes!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Just keep posting Hobbiest. At worst we can scroll past; at best we'll learn a little something

David J. Morrow

Downloads
    Uploads

i got those t rails from grizzly they work fine for my x and z but havin major probs for the y about .005 off but workin on it ....

Downloads
    Uploads

That's a nice little lathe, albeit not CNC. Does anyone have any photos of a CNC lathe in action?

Mike...

Originally posted by xairflyer
    What lathe was it ? was it the 7 x 10 mini lathe ?

If so it is far from a piece of junk, the 7 x 12 is a better buy though
    check out
    http://www.littlemachineshop.com/Info/minilathe.php
    they have an advert on this site also, lots of different guises of this machine, all built in the one factory.

Nuff said

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Originally posted by mikeschn
    That's a nice little lathe, albeit not CNC. Does anyone have any photos of a CNC lathe in action?

Mike...

Mike, Try: http://www.dakeng.com

Ballendo

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Got some MDF the other day...real MDF! You guys are definately right. I never paid attention to the difference at all before starting with this CNC stuff. Completely different. Well, the MDF that I got was on the scrap cart at Home Depot, and they only had 1/2" in the cheap, so I am going a bit different of a direction right now. Using some scrapped printer parts for the ways. Got the Z done tonight. rods are only 1/2", so I will use them for the Z and Y. Z will have 3" travel, and Y will have around 12". X will be 3/4" cold rolled steel, with roller bearings.

Downloads
    Uploads

Sounds like a plan.
    Movable table or gantry?
    Hager

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Still not quite sure. Leaning toward moving table, but still prefer moving gantry. If I use the Igus bushings that I have for the X, then will do moving table. Oh yeah...I will be doubling up on the 1/2" MDF everywhere except the Z. May do some bracing there though. I am designing the machine to do foam cutting mainly, so that I can have accurate patterns for my foundry.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12