New Machine Build Skuba Router - Page 6

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456

Thread: Skuba Router

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Skuba Router

So, the epoxy if read the thread correctly is used to hold the 2 pieces of stone together, correct? and not used a some type of leveling agent...

How do you level or skim the top with a stone type of surface?

I can see how a stone top would be great for flooding work with coolant and the like just curious about implementation.

G540, Rack and Pinion Drives-X/Y axis, 1/2-Ball Screw-Z Axis w/THK HSR 25 Linear Slides, Steppers KL23H2100-35-4B, Power Supply-KL-600-48

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by adam_m View Post
    So, the epoxy if read the thread correctly is used to hold the 2 pieces of stone together, correct? and not used a some type of leveling agent...

How do you level or skim the top with a stone type of surface?

I can see how a stone top would be great for flooding work with coolant and the like just curious about implementation.
    The table itself is two pieces epoxied together using west systems epoxy found and most boat stores or online with some microfiber added for filler and strength. I used some clamps and sheer weight to fuse the 2 together. It's roughly 400 lbs

As far as using a self leveling type stuff on a skim, I didn't go down that road. I think the sagging comes from weight and gravity. But it's within spec I need. Most my items aren't crucial but the few that are, are small enough to where that's not going to matter. We're talking tenths of thousandths variation when your only moving half inch.

For that matter I use fixture plates and mark where they go on the table and then surface them in their home spot. Haven't done it yet, but that is my plan for other parts in future if need be.

As long as my dual 6 inch vise is level x and y, the table dip doesn't matter much. I have I believe 10 or so inches in my vise as a single station so I can do parts quite large

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Got it.. thanks for helping me understand.

ampapa,

G540, Rack and Pinion Drives-X/Y axis, 1/2-Ball Screw-Z Axis w/THK HSR 25 Linear Slides, Steppers KL23H2100-35-4B, Power Supply-KL-600-48

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Of course. Glad I could help.

Reason for the epoxy granite type table is the density of the material and how will it can't supress vibrations which cause chatter. You can see examples in Datron machines that use it.

It will be exclusive for aluminum, plastics etc. Steel? Maybe. I guess you can machine anything with the right feeds and speeds but I won't be working with steel on this machine. Maybe for engraving but it was a purpose built machine and will pay itself off in about a years time

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Milling aluminum

158ipm at 15000rpm

Downloads
    Uploads

Trochoidal maching..wow...

http://free3dscans.blogspot.com/ http://my-woodcarving.blogspot.com/
    http://my-diysolarwind.blogspot.com/

Downloads
    Uploads

Are we making handguards now? 😁

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

No hand guards yet...making my business cards I give with all my purchase doing these on my manual mini mill got tiring.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Khalid View Post
    Trochoidal maching..wow...
    Yeah I have had good luck with it. I follow it up with a nice cleanup pass after like 5 to 8 thou and 50 to 70ipm

I could go faster, but still not super comfortable yet. Using gwizard, I'm still hovering on the finish side of the scale vs roughing but that keeps moving to faster and faster as I get more comfortable.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Machine has been great for the thousand plus parts it has ran. I upgraded the drive system to using idlers and it seems to run a bit smoother and now it's whisper quiet.

Producing some gun stocks out of alum on it now. Accuracy is well within what I need.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by skubajon View Post
    Machine has been great for the thousand plus parts it has ran. I upgraded the drive system to using idlers and it seems to run a bit smoother and now it's whisper quiet.

Producing some gun stocks out of alum on it now. Accuracy is well within what I need.
    How about some pictures? It is always good to see in process and finished results, off a new machine build.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hey Skukbajon;
    Yes, pictures of the gun stocks would be appreciated when you have time. I've searched for a aluminum gunstock model/plans for quite a while and well, everyone is close chested with those. I'm intro smithing Remington 700's for accurate shooters but stocking is the last chore on my list. Thanks for posting all the build/information. It's always a pleasure to see a job well done!
    Bill

billyjack
    Helicopter def. = Bunch of spare parts flying in close formation! USAF 1974 ;>)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by bill south View Post
    Hey Skukbajon;
    Yes, pictures of the gun stocks would be appreciated when you have time. I've searched for a aluminum gunstock model/plans for quite a while and well, everyone is close chested with those. I'm intro smithing Remington 700's for accurate shooters but stocking is the last chore on my list. Thanks for posting all the build/information. It's always a pleasure to see a job well done!
    Bill
    Well so far, I have to be quiet about it because my plan is to make a product.

BUT. I did turn my router into a measuring system using a Haimler. I put a stock in my vise and measured all the key components. It worked pretty slick! Yeah yeah...i could have used my micrometer and caliper....but I was drinking beer and having fun in garage.

Good source but always double check their measurements is grabcad. I find alot of stuff.

Here are a few pics of things I changed and worked on. The cooling system was compromised by myself... I learned that acrylic and ethanol don't work and lines get clogged etc. New cooling system based on a modified whole home filter canister and a 75w pump. And of course I went with coolant designed to work with everything in system.

I also get rid of the belt noise entirely as well as slop in the belts but redesigning. The 2 set screws on the pulleys kept coming lose so I ended up buying self centering hubs and doing new pulleys with idlers.

Waste of money....probably touch screen. I've had a fly land on the reset button and well it's been unplugged ever since.

Kudos to fogbuster. I really like that system with zero fog. I could run all day and not have problems and it works great. Highly recommended.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456