New Machine Build Skuba Router - Page 5

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Skuba Router

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Skuba Router

I've heard of Griffin Armament and I think I've seen your logo??
    I'll have to look into the laser tool setters. I haven't seen them before.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

We also manufacture tooling for for form1 diy silencer builds under our child company. JSTactical. Essentially precision press dies for forming baffles.

I don't know practicality of the lasers but may be something I'll play with down road. Would have to have an extremely precise receiver so that maybe less than .010 or .005...maybe even less, breaks the beam and throws a fault. Could save if a belt or something breaks on a motor and slave setup before one side of gantry moves to far to twist metal. With high powered servos and gearing, it could be messy

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Well quick update on machine progress.

Machine is alive, all axis moving. Had problems with Chinese spindle and HY VFD so I have a new spindle and a Hitachi Wj200 on its way.

Belt drive was a little bit of a pain as too tight and they are loud. Going to try baby powder like some recommendations I have received but in all, I have got it tolerable. It's by far the loudest part of machine. The servos themselves are whisper quiet and VFD was ultra quiet.

Soon as new spindle arrives I will finish tramming the granite portion and then start drilling the 100 plus holes into the granite about an inch. I think I have a good way for mounting all my anchors in close tolerances using precision shoulder bolts, guide plate and then some industrial epoxy.

Hoping to make chips real soon.

Downloads
    Uploads

Let us know how the Hitachi VFD works. Ive got a Hyuang and struggled through set up to get it working somewhat satisfactory. Im building another router and want to improve on it. Good luck.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Will do. Al_the_man seems to have a good setup and info on the hy. He directed me towards modbus which I purchased to start on, but I'm going to implement it on the Hitachi now

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Alright so all motors included spindle work with mach3

Next on list is mounting my prox switches. Once those are in place I'll dial in the steps per till I'm happy with it then I'll start drilling my table for the inserts.

Got about 12 receivers to finish up and can't wait to use the machine

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Few items to finish mainly cosmetic, but she's pretty much done. Purchased a dual station 6 inch vise and ordered a bunch of bits.

Drilling out table sunday for inserts. I'm extremely happy with it. I'm seeing .003 difference in the 4 corners of the granite but other than that, she's well within tolerance I was hoping for.

Belts are loud...unhappily loud. Going to run for a bit, work any kinks then upgrade to some vented belts at 30 bux each. Should kill noise quite a bit

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Well I'll report and error...self inflicted wound I should say. I adjusted my x to be opposite in the system but forgot to adjust the slave so I had racking occur. Not severe enough to bend or break bolts or anything else but noticed a small bind in the carriages

I took apart and found the problem. When it racked, it shifted the railed about .01 to .005 in the part where the racking occurred. So I reset my rails and again had to use epoxy to act as shims for the bearing block. Now the epoxy is very very thin. .001 variation.

I found standard clear type epoxy takes a very long time meaning if you attempt to torque down within say 48 hours, it does not work!

I ended up trying jbweld as it hardens rigid enough to drill and tap. After 24 hours I was able to torque the bolts down and all is good.

Now for the rails shifting I did notice something I don't like about using extrusion. Torquing the rails down to required torque spec is almost impossible.

A...the bolts will snap as they are 4mm socket cap bolts unless you spend big bucks for something stronger but I haven't found anything yet...

B... the extrusion will start flexing upward causing miss alignement. The chromoly .25 plates do help but still noticeable.

I've chalked it up as it is and will just have to watch things...maybe extra maintenance which is OK since this is not a production machine. I think if I were to do again and used aluminum extrusion, I would not use profile rail. I think all the extra to make it a good moving machine is not worth the hassle. Though if I had used ground steel surfaces instead, I would have had this problem. It all comes down to budget

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Some more done

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Well today I started to drill out my epoxy granite table. I figured this was going to be really tough so I brought my brother in law up to guide me.

It actually worked better than I thought. I purchased Milwaukee diamond hole saws in .5. For feed I basically manually jogged it so I could really monitor things. I probably drilled down pretty conservative at .125 ipm running at 6000 rpm. I had a constant stream of water and used tarps to channel out of my garage. Super slow, but clean holes, no broken edges and I drilled down to .85 inches for my inserts to clear. Long process but I'm glad I went with 4 inches in between each insert

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Almost ready for some production runs

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Why Drive you axis with belts and not direct drive? What kind of spindle did you get?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Sorry I didn't see the reply from you.

I went with belts thinking I could gain more torque and use up a little less energy to power my system. Did it help probably a little but worth it...nah...I'm going to direct drive soon.

I run yhe 2.2kw 4 bearing Chinese special on a hitachi vfd

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'm pretty happy. This is first part, within spec, and machined using HSM adaptive clearing with a final pass. 15000 rpm at 150 ipm. Could have ran 24000 at 250 ipm plus but slowly will work up. No chatter or rough spots/corners

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Wow...that's great!

Quote Originally Posted by skubajon View Post

Downloads
    Uploads

Great job! It sounds like we both have the same air compressor. What are you using for that air jet? Is it a mister as well?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by 1Jumper10 View Post
    Great job! It sounds like we both have the same air compressor. What are you using for that air jet? Is it a mister as well?
    I have an older 30gal oil less compressor. It's pretty dang loud. As far as my coolant system, I went with the fog buster MQL instead of mist. At 20 psi it clear chips pretty well in deep pocket and my shop doesn't get a cloud of mist. So far I enjoy it.

Thank you for the compliments. Been a year plus to build and slightly over budget haha

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm very curious about your table top, granite and epoxy.

What kind of a setup are you using?

ampapa,

G540, Rack and Pinion Drives-X/Y axis, 1/2-Ball Screw-Z Axis w/THK HSR 25 Linear Slides, Steppers KL23H2100-35-4B, Power Supply-KL-600-48

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by adam_m View Post
    I'm very curious about your table top, granite and epoxy.

What kind of a setup are you using?

ampapa,
    The table top is made from 2 pieces of engineered stone sandwiched together. I had the slabs for free from my brother in law who worked for a granite shop.

I built a steel frame that floats inside the main frame that has adjusters in each corner so I can tram my machine.

I then took a diamond core drill (Milwaukee) from Home Depot, which worked awesome I might add, and drilled 56 holes. I could have done in maybe 2 or 3 core drills but I had 4 so I ran faster. Still about 8 minutes per hole with constant flooding of water.

For the inserts, I tried JB weld original and the clear...wouldn't recommend either because a pain to get down in the hole but will work if you don't have access to Fusor Products which you can order online or through industrial paint supply. I used Fusor T21 which is an aerospace grade structural adhesive. My cost was roughly 60 bux so retail it's probably 80 to 100 dollars and the gun about 100 bux unless you have access or a buddy that works for a body shop.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast