New Machine Build Skuba Router - Page 3

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Skuba Router

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Skuba Router

With shipping I'm into each axis motor and driver probably about 1600 or so dollars. Hard to Calc as I got my hiwin rails, bearings and ballscrews on same order

Yes it's been fun so far. Learned a whole lot. First thing I have learned is that eyes are deceiving. I kept telling myself this was a smaller build because I had so many hours designing it on a computer screen. Didn't really think much about it until I received parts and frame came together. It's a beast! Had a family vacation so I should be back to it next week. Hoping to be making chips by end of November.

Thank you for the great comments I have also received on this post!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

How big are those motors? That's a lot of money for a single motor and drive.

You can get 750W AC servos for half that, and 1.5Kw for about $1000. (Chinese)
    Leadshine AC Servo Motor & Drive Sets (220/230 VAC Input)

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

That was for 4 sets. All 4 are 750w.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

My post was after probably 15 miles of walking at Disneyland on a Saturday! Definitely a typo

Downloads
    Uploads

That's a pretty good price for what they spin at. I was checking out teknik servos and they are similarly priced it looks like:
    https://www.teknic.com/products/clea...izard/results/

resolution might be different though

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I looked at them as well. Look like a great system. I just got a killer deal when I ordered everything as a packaged deal. I got probably 50 percent of my machine from 1 vendor. Then the other electronics I got from Arturo. All in all I think this build is about 6k in parts. All the machining is free and the extrusion was free. I think if I went any other route I would have broke 10k on this build

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ger....I'm wondering if you have a portrait version of your screenset ever since I saw some stuff on datron, kinda fell in love with the portrait screen versus landscape

Downloads
    Uploads

no, sorry.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ok so I've taken somewhat of a break. Switched jobs to be closer to home. Saving like 12 hours a week of sitting in traffic. Now I'm 5 min away!!

So I got the x axis machined out and starting to pre fit parts at the moment. Almost done with the machine base and electrical and will have this fully built probably in 30 days

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Skuba Router-uploadfromtaptalk1450408731724-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Skuba Router-uploadfromtaptalk1450409362185-jpg

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Any updates? Is this machine alive yet? Still interested to hear about the Chinese servos.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Machine is coming together! Been a rough winter. My dad got diagnosed with some serious cancer so haven't had all the time to spend on it . Making headway now. Moved the machine up to its permanent home, cut the granite slabs and most of the parts are machined and ready for assembly. So far she is a little over 1000 lbs of steel frame and granite epoxy work table.

This weekend I'm going to use a catalyzed bed liner material over the machine to take a little of the resonance out of the steel. Tested on some smaller pieces and works like a charm! With the granite in place you can smack with a hammer and hear not resonance in the steel!

Skuba Router-uploadfromtaptalk1453915129571-jpgSkuba Router-uploadfromtaptalk1453915141469-jpgSkuba Router-uploadfromtaptalk1453915149788-jpgSkuba Router-uploadfromtaptalk1453915172075-jpg

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Oh on the granite, we are having 2 identically cut pieces sandwiched together with epoxy. The slab sits on a square steel frame and bolted into place. The the steel square has adjusters for fine tuning height etc which are then bolted down snug with 3/4 inch bolts. Total granite is about 400 lbs and 2.75 thick using the most dense material the granite shops can get their hands on

Downloads
    Uploads

Sorry to hear about your father. It is a hard thing to deal with, my father first got sick when I was in the first grade. It was a very slow decline after that.

Quote Originally Posted by skubajon View Post
    Oh on the granite, we are having 2 identically cut pieces sandwiched together with epoxy.
    Interesting is the granite supplier doing that for you?
    The slab sits on a square steel frame and bolted into place. The the steel square has adjusters for fine tuning height etc which are then bolted down snug with 3/4 inch bolts. Total granite is about 400 lbs and 2.75 thick using the most dense material the granite shops can get their hands on

Pictures are always nice. If you don't mind my asking how much is the granite setting you back? Just wondering about the feasibility of this cost wise vs trying to do an epoxy granite pour.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you for your kind comments. It's tough but hoping this chemo stuff will kick it in the ass

On the slabs I got lucky as my brother in law works for a granite shop. I was able to get 2 remnants for nothing and got lucky but it could have sent me back 3 or 400 I guess. He cut for free and then we will sandwich together ourselves. One slab was an ugly brown color but the other was a nice grey piece which happened to be the high density stuff. Apparently solid black is the most dense material

I'll take some pics as we get mounted to the machine. Right now the slabs are stacked against my wall while I urethane coat the steel structure this weekend

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I don't know if you can compete with your own pour price wise. Maybe but good resin is expensive like west systems stuff. The nice part though is putting your inserts in before the pour where I have to drill with Diamond bit, 180 holes, and then use structural 2 part adhesive to set them which is like 50 a tube

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Wizard. If you want to get some material, you should call around to your local granite shops. They usually have a stack of stuff too small to make a full size countertop with. That's where mine came from and it was like 46x 60 on one piece and 50 x 60 for the other.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

A little moc upSkuba Router-uploadfromtaptalk1454119779303-jpg

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Skuba Router-uploadfromtaptalk1454294305044-jpg

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

So running into a little issue here and that is the nuts to hold the linear rails down. These rails take m5 bolts and seem to flex when tightening down by hand. I'm hoping maybe by putting some washers in place that will help the nuts not to bend in the tslot and allow me to apply ample torque.

Anyone have any other suggestions?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast