New Machine Build Skuba Router - Page 2

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Skuba Router

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Skuba Router

Try bbman.com or Brecoflex.

The chances of breaking a belt would be incredibly slim. A belts breaking strength is many times higher than it's working strength.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks ger for the feedback. I was expecting to have about a 6 to 8 week window due to international shipping. Since these guys worked fast, I'm hoping to get metal over to the machinist so that the various parts can be machined for assembly

Can't wait to post updates

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ger21 is that your nice looking mach3 interface? I've been looking at it and really like the look of it. Can you pm me the details as to where I can order it?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

So kinda a quick update on the router. Right now I've been sourcing my pulleys for this. Waiting on the machining of the ballscrews to be complete this week so that my big order can be shipped

I'm having 220 plug installed in my garage where the machine will sit and starting to design up the electronics panel now for all the controls etc.

One thing that really helped me was using all the fasteners inside my software to see how everything is going to bolt together. I really haven't done it that way before but sure glad I did. I've had to make several changes to parts due to this and seeing how it would all bolt together.

I've also changed the epoxy granite table to 2.5 inches thick as that's the piece of material I was able to aquire from my source. That should add a little more strength to the project as well as a 25 percent increase in vibration dampening.

So far I'm estimating about 300 cap screws for this machine. One thing I'm going to redesign a little bit is the gantry risers. I want to add a little more cross bracing in there.

I also went with a different profile rail that offered double the strength and load rating without changing much for size. Height is all the same. This also gave me another inch of travel in my z which I ended up using for spacing my blocks out further

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Skuba Router-uploadfromtaptalk1440622681852-jpg

Well motors, drives, vfd and spindle all came in today and ballscrews and rails will be in tomorrow!

Just ordered up everything from cnc4pc and Arturo was a great help. He is building me the connections for my motors etc and I chose the ESS coupled with the C32 breakout board.

Getting my 220v all lined up in my garage and placed the order for steel. Not too bad figuring I'm into this at about 4k

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

And it's growingSkuba Router-uploadfromtaptalk1440729839228-jpg

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Alright so I decided to use a data type cabinet that is 9u tall. It's about 17 inches deep and I'll be putting 2 panels inside of it. It's pretty slick as all doors lock for safety. I also have the access to hide ugly components. I mean it's got to look cool right

Just a preview. Haven't started on assembly at all

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Skuba Router-uploadfromtaptalk1441378793331-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by skubajon View Post
    Skuba Router-uploadfromtaptalk1441378793331-jpg

Nice cabinet!

One suggestion, if you can move that panel towards the center so the controls are so deep into the cabinet. It will make access to the drives so much easier if you need to do tuning or diagnostic work in the future. The other advantage is that it gives you free space behind the panel ( assuming a rear door). The idea here is that beyond about ten inches of panel depth becomes a problem with long term maintenance.

I base this comment on years of working with a wide variety of automation equipment. Accessibility down the road is important. The other reality I'm running into is that my eyesight isn't like it was 20 years ago, putting things far away means struggling to read wire numbers, labels or even read outs.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

You are absolutely right. I got this so I could run 2 panels essentially so that all the drives etc are pushed forward and then the other items are in the back. No back panel on this but there are 2 side panels. Luckily I may have another option as I have automotive cabinets for my work like you see in mechanic shops hanging on the wall. This actually gives me a foot print large enough to have on one layer. Going to test fit into both and see which works better

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quick update on build progress. Received the 600 bux worth of aluminum plate through a source I found. Saved me about half. For instance the main y carriage is 1.5 thick and 7.5 inches wide. Everyone wanted 300 to 400 dollars for this one piece and was able to find it for 75 bux. So those will be heading over to get machined

Working with Arturo at CNC4PC.Com, we have put together a good combo and most of the equipment had arrived and probably the best, well packed products I have ever purchased. I've probably been a pain in his rear but the guy is awesome to work with. I look forward to working with him more in the future.

My pulleys are all done and on their way to my shop as we speak. I had them machined out to specs to my motors and my ballscrews. I saved money this way having them built vs buying off the shelf to modify. That saved me about half the price

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

One thing I'm still working on is setting up my drives. They have 500khz pulse rate max, so with a reduction of 2:1 pulleys, 5mm ballscrew lead, and looking for about 400 ipm max, I'm trying to find the right formula to figure out my settings for the electronic gear ratio. I could use a little help on this if anyone knows a formula for that

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Kicking myself in the butt today. After about a month of waiting, I received my custom pulleys. The drive side are perfect but the ballscrew side not so much. My fault as I ordered 15mm bore and 12mm bore. They actually are 12 and 10. So now best scenario...do I chuck up some material on my lathe and make some hubs for these and bore them out so the hub can clamp on....or put them up on ebay and purchase new ones? With 7nm I just worry about slip

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Got about 90 percent done with the machine base. It weighs in at about 400 lbs. The EG base will be about 350 lbs estimated. The EG base will be mounted to another steel frame that will have adjustments where I can zero in my cut area to the machine. All in all estimated 1600 lbs to this machines total weightSkuba Router-uploadfromtaptalk1443567152836-jpgSkuba Router-uploadfromtaptalk1443567297240-jpg

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

My electrician buddy wanted to build and design the electronic cabinet for this. Being a paint rep, I went with a standard storage cabinet we use in paint booths etc for the enclosure. This of course will be stiffened up and then rubber shock mounted to the frame itself. Finding a nema cabinet this size new could he 400 plus dollars wholesale or 900 retail so my investment was 150 dollars or retail of about 250 and gives me 30x34x10 inches of room to mount everything inside. Lots of electronics with servo drives, vfd, relay boards, circuit boards, breakers and filters.Skuba Router-uploadfromtaptalk1443897566265-jpgSkuba Router-uploadfromtaptalk1443897585690-jpg

With a death in the immediate family, I've taken some time away from this project. Waiting on a few more items to arrive such as energy chain..bad experience on ebay for first time. Seller said it was shipping from Kentucky and would have in a week, but tracked down it was coming from China and that dhl had never even received the package. So of course I opened up a new case but found some energy chain in California and should have next week.

Also really thinking about fully enclosing this with a plexiglass door for noise reduction and safety of course since my kids love to be in the garage with me. I'm lucky to have 2 young daughters that like to work in the garage with me! I've also been working on monitor mount for the machine. I'm really leaning towards running my screen in portrait mode vs landscape but have yet to find any sort of Mach screenset for this. I guess I either make my own or maybe someone has a good one I could purchase. PM me if you do or post in here as I'm sure lots of people could be interested.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

And working on electrical some more. Here is current layout. Using c62 board from my good friends at cnc4pc.com. Skuba Router-uploadfromtaptalk1445135914506-jpgSkuba Router-uploadfromtaptalk1445135933446-jpg

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Are those Ali-express ac servos and drivers? Interested to hear your thoughts on them or any extra info on them. Not much details or experiences with them that I could find. Thanks!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I haven't yet had them running. These are the aasd version. Seems like all of them are pretty much the same part number with different brands.

So far the quality seems pretty good. Everything came top notch. All the wires are labeled, and the plugs are heavy duty and pre wired so essentially plug and play

Now I'm not sure how the settings are inside the driver yet but they are supposed to be pre matched to the motor.

One thing I will add is that so far customer service has been the best. I tried going the route of sticking to US products but to be honest, I had extremely hard time communicating with the engineers. I've been chatting with engineers on the aasd drivers and they get back to me with answers. They help me figure out settings etc. They even provided some wiring diagrams custom for my system. Pretty good service and I bought all my ac servo stuff for less than half of the price

My friend builds high end automation machines and when he saw these, he took a sample to his boss and now they are going to look into switching. Just wanting to see them run at this point.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

As far as all other boards and power I used Arturo from CNC4PC. I wouldn't go anywhere else. That guy is top knotch when it comes to support and service. To the point where I have a credit pending there and will not let him send me the money because I will buy something again. Just need to dig through his inventory haha

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the thread - it has been a great read. I also agree that CNC4PC is a great site. Arturo has his act together for these things.

Just curious, how much an axis did you end up paying for your servo motors?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast