Worlds cheapest mill...maybe

Thread: Worlds cheapest mill...maybe

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Worlds cheapest mill...maybe

Got a wild hare, and an idea this afternoon, so I spent a few hours in the garage. Still have to mount the z axis, lead screws, and motor mount and bearing blocks. Total when done...probably somewhere aroung $40 (not counting electronics and motors.).
    Excuse the paint shop white out...but it does make it a lot easier to see!

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Worlds cheapest mill...maybe-cheapo1-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Looks pretty cool. Is that MDF or some other type of wood? What size is it?

Post more pics when it's completed.

My name is Electric Nachos. Sorry to impose, but I am the ocean.
    http://www.bryanpryor.com

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Two four by fours, 18" long each. The table is mdf, as are the brackets that connect it all. 18" Drawer slides for the motion. The upright post is also 4 by 4, and will have modified drawer slides on it (modified shorter so that they don't poke out the top). Being as though I don't have a computer out there to run it yet, I will probably just install hand wheels when done so that I can use it to mill some UHMW for a new slide idea. Table is 12" by 10"

Stop talking about it and do it already!!!!!

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Testing with hand wheels would prove the material.
    So good luck and keep posting.
    Hager

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hey, cool idea. If the angle brackets are rigid enough (re-enforced with steel angle), it should be very strong!
    co

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The angle brackets are just mdf but are plenty rigid. The main problem with rigidity is that there is some lateral play in the drawer slides when mounted like this. I'm really not intending for this to be any type of production machine, just an extremely cheap way for someone to try out CNC and see if it is for them or not. Just kind of a proof of concept. Also trying to make the easiest to assemble machine possible so that the first timer doesn't get discouraged during assembly, as that is probably the number one reason why projects like this don't get completed once begun.

Downloads
    Uploads

Started building something similar myself, until I came accross homebulit CNC stuff and started building that !!

Might get back at it once I have my CNC machine finished, you have got me thinking !

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Xairflyer, This is going to have the brackets for steppers, just don't have the puter to run 'em with yet. So will use handwheels for now. This type of simple mill has benn an idea for some time now though, and will definately help with making patterns for my foundry work!

Downloads
    Uploads

Get a hold of a machine vice, type used for a small drilling machine. Then bolt it to your table, it will then be just the same as a normal cross slide vice.

Ridgedity (if thats how its spelt) is the key to milling, especially in the head.
    I started making my frame/head/pillar out of 2 x 2 steel box section, for that reason.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I am going to build a mill using home casstings, and car parts, but that will have to wait until I get my metal lathe, and get a few machines built and sold so that some past due bills can be paid. Free money is better than free time, but you can't make time with free money!

Downloads
    Uploads

Couldn't you remove the lateral play by placing one drawer slide on the top, and the other drawer on the side? By having them at 90 degrees to each other I think a lot of your play will go away.

Mike...

Downloads
    Uploads

I was in the recycle yard on Tuesday and saw many struts, all thoes strong, straight shafts should be good for something. Too short for all but the Z axis in a CNC Router. But maybe of more use on a Mill.
    Hager