4-axis and Contorler questions and power supply

Thread: 4-axis and Contorler questions and power supply

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default 4-axis and Contorler questions and power supply

Hey everyone,

I was owndering what is a fourth axis and what do you do with it?

Also i was wondering if this contorller is any good and if someone could give me the maunfacturers website and any specs they can or opinions. Look at the link below for the controller.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=42895

Also my last topic is what is up with power supplies...soem people say use 12 volts, other sya 5 volts(doesnt sound righ tto me) and then others say 60 votls to 80 volts...i am confused as we speak someone please clarify.

Thanks!

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by wakeboard; 01-11-2004 at 03:08 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

wakeboard - a couple of quickies
    1. Rotate your spindle/router/dremel so you can cut/mill on the side, like if you wanted to engrave on a bowling ball! OR -- set up 2 x axis, 2 y axis in parallel and cut foam wings/signs etc with a hotwire - or any other of other projects requiring "out of the plane" motion you get with 3 degrees of freedom.

2. See my post:
    http://www.cnczone.com/showthread.php?threadid=2314&s=

3. He's got power supplys included on that board (the 3 axis one) and has motors too, start up a email conversation with him.
    Jim

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Can someone please explain more on how the 4-axis work?....so you can have the whole router turn? What do you mean by 2 x-axis and 2 y-axis?

Downloads
    Uploads

4th axis is usually to turn the work. It allows you to create gears and such.

2 x or y axes usually refers to the use of two motors to move an axis. A board with an extra axis can be used to run the extra motor.

Eric

Last edited by balsaman; 01-11-2004 at 02:35 PM.
    I wish it wouldn't crash.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

ok i am more interested in teh 4th axis. Hwo do you turn the work can someoen explain this pics woudl eb very helpful!

Downloads
    Uploads

Here are some pictures of some comertial 4th axis.

http://www.agdavis-aagage.com/4thaxis.html

Eric

I wish it wouldn't crash.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

how many horsepower do i need to cut aluminum?

1.75hp or 3 hp? Is 3hp and overkill?

Also where cna i fidn gecko motors...or other high qualtiy servos or would you recomend getting steppers? I am looking for 450 oz steppers but can't find them anywhere. Would servo motors be a better option?

Thanks!

Downloads
    Uploads

http://www.stepper3.com/
    They have 447 oz-in stepper motors in NEMA 34 standard torque

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the link....ouch $227.00 for a nema 34 447 oz of torque...could i get servo for that price? Would they be better?

Downloads
    Uploads

http://www.seanet.com/~dmauch/

Check out this site under products. He has 697 OZ-in stepper motors for $140 each.

I only posted that first link because you said you wanted 450 oz motors and couldn't find them. I think that there are better bargains available.

I cannot speak to whether servos would be more cost effective or not. On the same webpage he sells equivalant servos for $169. I think HOMECNC was selling a slightly smaller servo motors for $75 each. But the motor cost might not be the whole story when comparing servos and steppers.

T

Downloads
    Uploads

Wakeboard,

I am working on my 4th axis design for my router. I want to turn spindles with carvings wrapped around them. Look at my post : http://www.cnczone.com/showthread.ph...8872#post18872

The last page #117 has a CAD picture of my 4th axis design. It is a horizontal rotary axis so I can hold long spindles.

As stated above, I do have servo motors for sale if you want to go the servo route.

Thanks

Jeff Davis (HomeCNC)
    http://www.homecnc.info

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I’ll vouch for HomeCNC’s servos! When the UPS guy “dropped” them off at my house, he decided that it was a good idea to toss a heavy package over a fence and onto a concrete patio! All 4 motors were wrapped well in bubble wrap and then packaged with foam peanuts so no damage to any of them.

--bb99

There are 10 types of people in this world; those that understand binary and those that don't.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I need at least 450 oz. of torque...to me it makes no difference if it servo or stepper....jsut good bargains!

Thanks!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Which axis needs the 450? You could use 2 of HomeCNC's servos moving two screws on the x axis for example. That would give you mover 650 oz on just that 1 axis! Mach2 is able to handle two motors for 1 axis.

--bb99

There are 10 types of people in this world; those that understand binary and those that don't.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

hope fully all...cause i will be making 3D parts and then rotating the block of aluminum to get the desired cuts....so i was hoping on all 3 axis......my base will be all aluminum extrusions and i will have thk rails.

Thanks!

Downloads
    Uploads

Wakeboard,

I run my mill/dill cutting aluminum and steel all the time with it. I use my 430 oz/in servos and I know I'm not even getting close to using the full strength of them. How rigid of a machine are you planning to build?? I really don't think you will be building something as strong as a real milling machine. I have snaped off 3/8 end mills by cutting too deep and fast with my mill. If you use standard feeds and speeds and keep the depth reasonable you will not be using anywhere near 450 oz/in's

Thanks

Jeff Davis (HomeCNC)
    http://www.homecnc.info

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)