buscht's cnc router - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: buscht's cnc router

Downloads
    Uploads

They are all mounted to one axis. That's why I have the 7" limitation on part size. I thought about 3 independant Axis. You could do this with TurboCNC and an additional driver control board, but with my small parts I didn't need it , nor did I want to spend the extra money.

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

buscht I have not kept up completely with your project but I did notice you mentioned that when scroll sawing your parts that they did not fit back together. You also mention that in testing using a pen or felt tip that the program was correct. I am supposing here but in the actual cutting program did you compensate for the saw kerf? If not that will explain some of the not fitting. The fact that the blade is 1/4" (again assumed) you may not be getting correct cuts on radius uhor is that radiuses or radi, well whatever they are called the balde may be changing some of them!

Mike

No greater love can a man have than this, that he give his life for a friend.

Downloads
    Uploads

Mike, thanks for the suggestions.

The kerf of the spiral scroll saw blade is .050". I offset a line .025" and used that to create the programs so the cutter comp wasn't the problem.

I have identified several problem areas that are hampering my CNC scrollsaw efforts.

1. I compromised when building this machine so I could test out two different things, the multiple head idea and CNC scrollsawing. This means that neither function is done to its best advantage.

2. The scrollsaw isn't fastened to the the CNC. I thought that the scrollsaw was substantial enough not to move, but I was wrong. It vibrates just enough to walk during cutting.

3. With the compromised design, I had to cantilever a board out from the router to the scroll saw. This puts alot of leverage on the machine and any slop/backlash is greatly magnified in the final cut.

I have put the CNC scroll saw on temporary hold and have decided to work on the computer models of my product and the 3 head router portion some more.

If I can get that to work to my satisfaction, I plan on making another CNC scrollsaw that is built to fit my scrollsaw and minimize the problems I found on my first setup.

Trent

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Duh....scroll does not equal 1/4" blade does it? I apologize as I was thing saber or jig!

Trent are you trying to cut one part to fit in a pocket that has also been cut with the cnc?

Mike

Downloads
    Uploads

Mike, I am trying to make some intarsia like parts. Different wood species are cut out and fit together like a jigsaw puzzle. I don't want any mismatch as I am going to glue them together,

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

I was going to suggest you cut some from the fron and some from the back and use a 1/2 to 2 degree tapered cutter. They should fit together quite nicely then. It is something to try anyway!

Mike

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12