New Machine Build 8020 / MDF based CNC Router

Thread: 8020 / MDF based CNC Router

Downloads
    Uploads

Default 8020 / MDF based CNC Router

Just getting going on my second CNC router machine. First one I built completely out of scrap lumber I had leftover from some side jobs. It left much to be desired, but it cut what I asked it to, seemed to be pretty accurate, and gave me a good sense of if I wanted to keep into the CNC hobby.

So here is a rough design of what I am looking to build, it will have a cutting area of approximately 25" x 25".

The size is pretty much dictated by the 4 x IKO LWL 15 linear guides that my brother sent me. The rails measure 31" so I decided to make my design around them without having to cut the rails.

So as it stands the only thing I have accomplished yet is buying the 8020 extrusion pieces. That was a good chunk of change so I have to replenish my fun ticket supply before I start on ordering more parts.

So any suggestions / ideas are welcome. I am in search of a good idea on a 1 piece t-nut solution to attach the rails to the 8020 on the 1030 side rails and the 1545 gantry piece.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: 8020 / MDF based CNC Router

Some progress today. I got the x axis side rails cut and the aluminum bar stock to mount the rails cut. Now I have to grind down the corners a hair on the 1/2" x 1/8" steel flat stock to be able to fit in the 1030 8020 extrusion. After that I have to drill / tap the holes through the aluminum and steel bar stock and mount the rails.

Downloads
    Uploads

Another small step forward this weekend. Got the x axis rails tapped, and cut some MDF for the front and back to mock up the X Axis. After I get it all assembled I will have the MDF parts cut in Baltic Birch. Still waiting on the 3.5mm x 16mm SHCS to show up to mount the rails onto the 8020. Can't wait for that fun, lol, 40 holes to drill and tap...

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Here is how I attached my rail to the 8020. It worked out very well.
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/cnc-wo...ml#post1141165

Downloads
    Uploads

It's Turkey Day, and what am I thankful for? I'm thankful that I'm single, my family lives on the east coast, my friends are all out of town, and I get to spend some quality time building on my CNC!

With that said I got the x axis linear rails mounted today. Made a 1 piece t-nut out of 1/8 x 3/4 steel flat bar and drilled and tapped 20 holes per rail for the M3.5 bolts.

Downloads
    Uploads

Ok, minor update 1/2/15:

I have changed around the design some on the gantry post. I've lowered them down so they are closer to the spoilboard as well as added a 1/4 aluminum sheet behind them for connection

The Z Axis I picked up from eBay user Microcarve. Quality is EXCELLENT and I think I will get plenty of good use from it. I tried the DIY route on my last CNC's Z Axis and the results honestly sucked. I knew for this machine I was going with a prebuilt solution

All of the parts are in for the X / Y leadscrews now. Hopefully with the 1/2-10 5 start this thing will zoom right along! Does anyone have any suggestions on an appropriate sized stepper / driver for this? I am trying to fight my way through calculating my needs but it is a slow process!

Downloads
    Uploads

I now have the experience of having built 2 cnc and purchased one. The first out of wood. Awful, but gave me a lot of insight into design, materials and mechanical. If you just exclusively want to work with wood and plastics, use Nema17. If you want to work with wood, mdf, plastics, engrave metals, mill light metals, use Nema23. If you will be milling (Cutting, routing, pocketing metals), use Nema34.

WOODY- MY 1st CNC-Nema 17- made out of wood, mostly Woodburn, and routs light wood and plastics. Accurate to .008

MAGGIE- My 2nd CNC-Nema 23- made out of aluminum (1/8) but is used for engraving, wood routing-pocketing, and very accurate engraving. Also have, milled and pocketed brass, and light aluminum. Hardwood routing on this machine, WOW! Handles hardwood like butter. Also used for lasering and 3d printing. Accurate to .002

CUTTER- MY 3RD CNC- Nema 34, I use exclusively for milling, routing, pocketing metal, and routing large wood pieces. Eventually will be able to use to plasma cut too! Accurate to .002

One more important note- there are hundreds of thousands of homemade machines that use Nema 17, 23, and 34. I guarantee that most of the motors were purchased with money as motivator, not analyzed much for use, time of routing, types of milling, and keeping heat down (killer of motors).

I hope this helps some. My mentor gave me a lot of insight into motor function, use, output, and why heat is the deadly killer of motors. Just passing on his wisdom. Good Luck.

Maggie Medina, Redhawk Gifts and Engraving

What are the bearings on the Microcarve Z axis unit?