New Machine Build Wood construction, enclosed 2x4 CNC router build, dust collection, vacuum table.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wood construction, enclosed 2x4 CNC router build, dust collection, vacuum table.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Wood construction, enclosed 2x4 CNC router build, dust collection, vacuum table.

Always wanted one, can't afford to buy one, just going to have fun trying to build one. ;-)
    Going to take a while but thought I would post some progress pics. Not real good with carpentry so this will probably be a disaster but going to have fun with it anyway.

The pics should be self explanatory.

Wood construction, enclosed 2x4 CNC router build, dust collection, vacuum table.-cnc_project_001_1000-jpg Wood construction, enclosed 2x4 CNC router build, dust collection, vacuum table.-cnc_project_002_1000-jpg Wood construction, enclosed 2x4 CNC router build, dust collection, vacuum table.-cnc_project_003_1000-jpg Wood construction, enclosed 2x4 CNC router build, dust collection, vacuum table.-cnc_project_004_1000-jpg Wood construction, enclosed 2x4 CNC router build, dust collection, vacuum table.-cnc_project_005_1000-jpg

Thanks for stopping by! Cheers - Jeff

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Wood construction, enclosed 2x4 CNC router build, dust collection, vacuum table.

Wood construction, enclosed 2x4 CNC router build, dust collection, vacuum table.-cnc_project_006_1000-jpg Wood construction, enclosed 2x4 CNC router build, dust collection, vacuum table.-cnc_project_007_1000-jpg Wood construction, enclosed 2x4 CNC router build, dust collection, vacuum table.-cnc_project_008_1000-jpg Wood construction, enclosed 2x4 CNC router build, dust collection, vacuum table.-cnc_project_009_1000-jpg Wood construction, enclosed 2x4 CNC router build, dust collection, vacuum table.-cnc_project_010_1000-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Wood construction, enclosed 2x4 CNC router build, dust collection, vacuum table.

Wood construction, enclosed 2x4 CNC router build, dust collection, vacuum table.-cnc_project_011_1000-jpg Wood construction, enclosed 2x4 CNC router build, dust collection, vacuum table.-cnc_project_012_1000-jpg Wood construction, enclosed 2x4 CNC router build, dust collection, vacuum table.-cnc_project_013_1000-jpg Wood construction, enclosed 2x4 CNC router build, dust collection, vacuum table.-cnc_project_014_1000-jpg Wood construction, enclosed 2x4 CNC router build, dust collection, vacuum table.-cnc_project_015_1000-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

That looks like its going to be a good machine. Are the holes around the outside for dust collection?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by nlancaster View Post
    That looks like its going to be a good machine. Are the holes around the outside for dust collection?
    Yes, that is the plan anyway. Was going to block off the center and use a vacuum cleaner as a hold down but didn't relish the thought of have the vacuum run for hours just to hold down a sacrificial piece of mdf.

Did notice on all of the vids I watched that unless you had some really great dust collection configuration at the spindle area; a lot of fine dust would escape, this unit will be completely sealed with air intakes strategically placed in the top and hopefully will get a nice down draft plus when I break out the air gun to blow everything off the vacuum should collect all that being around the entire outside.

Really have no idea if it is a good idea, only time will tell.

Downloads
    Uploads

Just a quick update,

Y axis rails almost complete, the box that fits in between the posts should give complete latitude when aligning the gantry with in and out, up and down and tilt; 8 fasteners in the ends of the box should hold nicely once everything is set.

The 2 rows of screws on the inside of the box removes the rail holding the aluminum track and can easily be replaced due to wear or upgraded to steel.

Last edited by Jay-D9; 11-10-2014 at 08:49 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Extremely happy right now, built the two bearing support boards for the gantry and clamped a board across the top to see how it would roll and I think I need to give myself a pat on the back. lol that thing rolls so smooth its unbelievable with no slop that I can tell whatsoever. Can you tell I'm smiling.

Here is a close up of the bottom gantry support with the bearings, Drilled holes in the bottom and tapped for a standard 3/8th inch thread. the hole goes all the way in the bearing bolt hole which is slotted up and down an extra 5/16 inch.
    A 5/16×1-1/2 inch spring was loaded into the hole before the bolt threaded in, this is not to hold constant pressure on the bearing but to give all the bearing equal pressure before tightening, plus if the track ever wears a quick loosen and retighten of the nuts and all slop will be removed.

Thanks for stopping by!

Cheers - Jeff

Downloads
    Uploads

Getting some of the ruff components spruced up a little while waiting for some fat washer and longer bolts.

Trying to keep the tolerances to minimum, only about a 1/16” between the gantry carrier and the guild rail.

Downloads
    Uploads

Greetings fellow woodworkers.

Haven’t had a lot of time to work on the project but while mama was away I snuck in making a few parts and pieces of the gantry.
    Designed so at anytime I can split the gantry and replace the roller tracks or upgrade to steel if the aluminum doesn’t hold up.

First few shots are just some fabrication in progress. Using cabinet conectors for assembly, auction buys a few years back; thought it was time to but em to good use.

There will be 2 of these dog bone looking caps banded with oak and laminated with formica on both sides; they cap the gantry both top and bottom along with supporting the Y axis stepper.

The blocks being glued are the fastening blocks for the gantry support ends.

Main 4 pieces to the gantry.

The 2 pieces of plywood on the inside tie the 2 sides together, the finger holes are so I can pull em into place.

With 20 guild pins per side; perfect alignment is almost guaranteed and the screws fit nicely.

These fastener are quite nice, max open 1-3/4; screwed tight 1-1/4.

Kina how it will fit.

Temp fit on the gantry to make adjustments but it didn’t need any. Really rolls smooth! WooHoo

Not bad for an amateur
    Thanks for stopping by!! Cheers – Jeff

I’m looking forward to your next update.

Your build is coming along nicely. Totally enclosed is the only way to go, imho. No dust problems doing high relief parts or using a fourth axis.
    I envision your build resulting in a very capable machine. I really appreciate all of the clear large format photos that you are documenting your build with.

I’ll be stopping by often, as your design is similar to one I have been refining in my mind for about a year now, as I collect parts.

Oh, and truly quite good for an amateur

- Dave

Downloads
    Uploads

Just a few pics of getting er done.

Thanks for stopping by!!

Cheers - Jeff

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Jay-D View Post
    Yes, that is the plan anyway. Was going to block off the center and use a vacuum cleaner as a hold down but didn't relish the thought of have the vacuum run for hours just to hold down a sacrificial piece of mdf.
    That would be a mistake in my mind.

Did notice on all of the vids I watched that unless you had some really great dust collection configuration at the spindle area; a lot of fine dust would escape, this unit will be completely sealed with air intakes strategically placed in the top and hopefully will get a nice down draft plus when I break out the air gun to blow everything off the vacuum should collect all that being around the entire outside.

Really have no idea if it is a good idea, only time will tell.
    Well it sounds like a good idea! I do a bit of manual wood working and frankly dust is a huge problem so any design that try's to address that is a good idea to pursue in my mind. I doubt this would do much to pull the larger scarf that might come off the machine but it ought to handle that air borne dust well.
    Thanks for posting it is always good to see ideas.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Jay-D
    Haven’t had a lot of time to work on the project but while mama was away I snuck in making a few parts and pieces of the gantry.
    You're living on the edge by working on this while the kitchen is still un-finished...

Seriously, though, I'm enjoying the project. Thanks for sharing the updates.

Downloads
    Uploads

Greetings, wow it's been over 2 years since my last post, had to shut it down due to tragedy but now looking to finish this project up and will really need some help and guidance.

looking to buy my Z axis instead of making it, would like about 8" of travel and a width of about 6" excepting a Nema 34, if anyone knows someone here who has them for sale please let me know.

Will post some pics of the progress as soon as possible, I have a lot of questions! man o man. lol

Cheers - Jeff

Downloads
    Uploads

Getting back at it,
    Thought purchasing a Z axis would be the way to go till the price, so here is a few pics of my attempt at making the Y and Z plus I found a couple of double pipe clamp mounts laying around and they fit the router nicely.

The board on top is just sitting there, not sure if I will be cutting down the uprights and building a small box atop for motor and coupler or underneath.

Was able to use the same bolts for bearings on both Y and Z which kept the everything nice and tight to the gantry.

Back side.

Received the 1/2 acme lead screws in the mail a couple of days ago and come to the conclusion they are pathetic weak and sag for any runs over 30 inches, the y axis is 56 inches so
    will be going with Rack and Pinion or belt, not sure.

Thanks for looking!! Cheers - Jeff

Downloads
    Uploads

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Jay-D View Post

Received the 1/2 acme lead screws in the mail a couple of days ago and come to the conclusion they are pathetic weak and sag for any runs over 30 inches, the y axis is 56 inches so
    will be going with Rack and Pinion or belt, not sure.
    On my machine, the Y axis has a 40" acme screw, and there are no issues with sagging or whipping at all.

The two X axis screws are 60", and do have some whipping when the gantry is at either end of the machine.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    On my machine, the Y axis has a 40" acme screw, and there are no issues with sagging or whipping at all.

The two X axis screws are 60", and do have some whipping when the gantry is at either end of the machine.
    Agreed, didn't find out till after ordering the rack and pinion that I could tension the rods and wow what a difference that made. Owell water under the bridge.

Downloads
    Uploads

Did go with a 1" heavy duty rack and pinion which forced me to do a gear reduction (3 to 1) with belt drives, one rev was like 3 inches. anyway just some pics of gettin er done.

Have a great day!! cheers - Jeff

Downloads
    Uploads

Have 2 full tables like this one, this outta be fun! hoping the gremlins will have it done by morning. lol Standard wiring diagram doesn't apply here!

Wish me luck, I'm going to need it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast