Need help for designing Z-axis

Thread: Need help for designing Z-axis

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Need help for designing Z-axis

Hello!

I have a pair of SBR-16 and a complete 1605 ballscrew, both 300mm in length.

But i cant seem to design a good z-axis for myself. Anyone who wanna help me?

I have a 3040 cnc so if you have a good cad/gcode i would be forever greatfull

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Need help for designing Z-axis

Get a thick aluminum plate you can attach to the Y axis of your gantry or bridge, and screw a rail on each side, making sure they are square to each other. Run the ball screw straight down the middle, fixed at one end in a couple of angular contact bearings, with a bearing on the other end that lets it float a little. Make a motor plate with holes corresponding to the holes in your motor's faceplate and center it on the fixed end of the screw, then attach it to the plate with the rails on it. Get another aluminum plate and drill it for the spindle mount you're using, and also on the sides for the trucks that ride on your rails, spaced so that they will give good support without restricting the range of travel too much, and in the middle for the carrier that holds your ball screw nut. Put it all together and you've got a Z axis.

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Downloads
    Uploads

Just google images of Z's or check out the usual suspects on Ebay, it's a pretty tried and tested design so there's no "copying" issues as such. In order to align the parts though, get some good clamps that will reliably hold stuff aligned while drilling, etc.

cheers, Ian

It's a state of mind!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    Get a thick aluminum plate you can attach to the Y axis of your gantry or bridge, and screw a rail on each side, making sure they are square to each other. Run the ball screw straight down the middle, fixed at one end in a couple of angular contact bearings, with a bearing on the other end that lets it float a little. Make a motor plate with holes corresponding to the holes in your motor's faceplate and center it on the fixed end of the screw, then attach it to the plate with the rails on it. Get another aluminum plate and drill it for the spindle mount you're using, and also on the sides for the trucks that ride on your rails, spaced so that they will give good support without restricting the range of travel too much, and in the middle for the carrier that holds your ball screw nut. Put it all together and you've got a Z axis.
    Hello and thanks for the reply!

Thats sounds like a good option. Do you have a visual representation of what you described?

Downloads
    Uploads

This is a lot like what I was describing: MRC CNC Z axis - AutoCAD, STL, STEP / IGES - 3D CAD model - GrabCAD except that the motor doesn't seem to attach quite right.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    This is a lot like what I was describing: MRC CNC Z axis - AutoCAD, STL, STEP / IGES - 3D CAD model - GrabCAD except that the motor doesn't seem to attach quite right.
    I have been looking at a design like that, but it require that i make a holes likes this: Need help for designing Z-axis-untitled-jpg

If not i cant attach the lower two bolts on the nema 23 motor.

Downloads
    Uploads

It will work a lot better if all the holes in the motor faceplate are bolted down to the plate on top of the axis assembly. Just make that plate big enough to have all 4 holes. It doesn't look like the axis will travel much past there anyway without coming off the rails.