NEW Little Brute CNC hobby machine - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NEW Little Brute CNC hobby machine

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: NEW Little Brute CNC hobby machine

By the way, I forgot to mention that little brute is also expandable to 4 axis or 5 axis, we built the motion control system enclosure large enough to accommodate this for people who want the extra flexibility.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by kjwalters View Post
    .........That said is there a certain profile rail or brand that you might suggest............
    There are probably many other people here who have actually used such rails and know much better. Only an observation from an eBay purchase of new 12mm rails/blocks that I want to use for a small new future machine:
    I bought one set made by THK and another set made by NB (Nippon Bearing). Both have almost same size bearing blocks and load specifications. However, the NB rails are wider at the top and accommodate M4 mounting screws while the THK are narrower and allow only M3 which is a bit flimsy. Also, the NB blocks glide smooth like silk while the THK have a slightly gritty feel but that might be due to different pre-load. Anyway, just mentioning that there are differences but I guess any well known brand profile rail would do a reasonable job for light duty router applications.

Puzzle, Finger Joint, Maze and Guilloche freeware at https://fabrikisto.com/tailmaker-software/

Downloads
    Uploads

Look at automation4less for square rails and blocks. The company has atleast 3 websites under different names but they are trust worthy and have good prices. The brand they sell is Hiwin.

Ben

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by JerryBurks View Post
    There are probably many other people here who have actually used such rails and know much better. Only an observation from an eBay purchase of new 12mm rails/blocks that I want to use for a small new future machine:
    I bought one set made by THK and another set made by NB (Nippon Bearing). Both have almost same size bearing blocks and load specifications. However, the NB rails are wider at the top and accommodate M4 mounting screws while the THK are narrower and allow only M3 which is a bit flimsy. Also, the NB blocks glide smooth like silk while the THK have a slightly gritty feel but that might be due to different pre-load. Anyway, just mentioning that there are differences but I guess any well known brand profile rail would do a reasonable job for light duty router applications.
    Never heard of NB, I will look into them and see what they have to offer. I had my eyes on some THK and they seem to have a devout following. Thank you.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by bhurts View Post
    Look at automation4less for square rails and blocks. The company has atleast 3 websites under different names but they are trust worthy and have good prices. The brand they sell is Hiwin.

Ben
    Hi Ben, Thanks for that I will look at the website and see what they have to offer. I have head of Hiwin but never head much feedback about them. Thank you for your help.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Nice looking machine.
    I'd get rid of all the diamond plate and go with 25mm Profile rails - much more bang for the buck.
    BTW the spindle is great - I have one as well and really like it. I can do steel at ~3000RPM, Aluminum ~9000 RPM and wood plastics at 12-18000RPM all super smooth and plently of power.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by MI370 View Post
    Nice looking machine.
    I'd get rid of all the diamond plate and go with 25mm Profile rails - much more bang for the buck.
    BTW the spindle is great - I have one as well and really like it. I can do steel at ~3000RPM, Aluminum ~9000 RPM and wood plastics at 12-18000RPM all super smooth and plently of power.
    Hello, we could change the diamond plate to something else, on the post and accesses doors underneath, and get ridge of the accent on the gantry. This could all be discussed when ordering, even the powder coat color. However there has to be post cover of some sort for the corner post because they are covering accesses points to the wiring running through the chassis of the machine. Thanks for the post and the feedback on the spindle.

Downloads
    Uploads

As long as it is functional, I think I would leave it on. I know there are guys that do not like diamond plate, and you may give them an option. I used it in my guards for a time and some wanted anything but.

Lee

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by LeeWay View Post
    As long as it is functional, I think I would leave it on. I know there are guys that do not like diamond plate, and you may give them an option. I used it in my guards for a time and some wanted anything but.
    I personally like the look and it is functional except the pc on the gantry. Maybe stainless would be a good option ti have. Thanks Lee.

Downloads
    Uploads

-3HP variable speed spindle with digital control (Hertz made in Turkey).0012mm run out!
    Just curious, did you measure runout on the outside surface or inside surface where the collet contacts?

Quote Originally Posted by JerryBurks View Post
    THK, NB, IKO, Bosch and NSK (and more than a few others) make linear bearings and components. The bearing block part of the linear bearing is completely configurable with each manufacturer, you could very well run into a NB rail that was identical to that THK bearing block you encountered. Preload is also configurable, and deflection is dependent on the bearing row configuration(s). Each manufacturer should offer an equivalent of a competitors product for these applications; the exception possibly being IKO and the LRX series being recirculating cylindrical bearings as opposed to spherical - these are the premier linear bearings.

HIWIN is the economy of the linear bearings, they don't offer the same precision classes as the other machines - approach with caution and with your application very well understood.

Anyways, that is a great looking machine!

Downloads
    Uploads

Just a note, running wiring through a machines chassis may run you afoul of some standards. It is something to watch out for, however I would suspect most of your customers won't care.

As to round rails vs profile rails, yes profile rails can be better. That is if they are sized correctly. You also need a suitably stiff structure to support those rails which is something that is often overlooked.

Hello, we could change the diamond plate to something else, on the post and accesses doors underneath, and get ridge of the accent on the gantry. This could all be discussed when ordering, even the powder coat color. However there has to be post cover of some sort for the corner post because they are covering accesses points to the wiring running through the chassis of the machine. Thanks for the post and the feedback on the spindle.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by UA_Iron View Post
    Just curious, did you measure runout on the outside surface or inside surface where the collet contacts?

THK, NB, IKO, Bosch and NSK (and more than a few others) make linear bearings and components. The bearing block part of the linear bearing is completely configurable with each manufacturer, you could very well run into a NB rail that was identical to that THK bearing block you encountered. Preload is also configurable, and deflection is dependent on the bearing row configuration(s). Each manufacturer should offer an equivalent of a competitors product for these applications; the exception possibly being IKO and the LRX series being recirculating cylindrical bearings as opposed to spherical - these are the premier linear bearings.

HIWIN is the economy of the linear bearings, they don't offer the same precision classes as the other machines - approach with caution and with your application very well understood.

Anyways, that is a great looking machine!
    That's a great, help thank you for the information. The rails will one of the changes I make on the next one built for certain. As for the run out check for the spindle, i checked it on the shaft the collet threads onto, this is how I had seen it done before. Thanks again for your help.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by wizard View Post
    Just a note, running wiring through a machines chassis may run you afoul of some standards. It is something to watch out for, however I would suspect most of your customers won't care.

As to round rails vs profile rails, yes profile rails can be better. That is if they are sized correctly. You also need a suitably stiff structure to support those rails which is something that is often overlooked.
    I understand, My intention was to have the machine a look clean and uncluttered (part of my hot rod fab years) but at the same time be accessible. If you remove the diamond plate you can get to parts the wiring, although removing the would require it being fed back through the machine. I would love an alternative as doing the wiring this way looks great, but is also time consuming. Thanks for the input.

Downloads
    Uploads

There are different types of wire raceways that could be used.
    McMaster-Carr

The wire to my tail lights on my trailer goes through the steel and there was a short in one side. My only solution was to run wire on the exterior of the frame. The wire would not pull through with the new. Apparently they threw a knot on the inside as a strain relief, but that also prevents pulling new wire.

Lee

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by LeeWay View Post
    There are different types of wire raceways that could be used.
    McMaster-Carr

The wire to my tail lights on my trailer goes through the steel and there was a short in one side. My only solution was to run wire on the exterior of the frame. The wire would not pull through with the new. Apparently they threw a knot on the inside as a strain relief, but that also prevents pulling new wire.

Hi Lee, I did not even known they existed but certainly would make wiring this machine easier on my part, look clean and be accessible. I will definable be looking closer at using these on the machine. Many thanks for the help

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hello Everyone
    I have finally finished my "Little Brute" CNC gantry Mill/Router. I am a fabricator but have gathered allot of useful information over the period of the build from this site (Thank you!) so I wanted to share the finished machine with you guys and get some feedback. I made sure it had every option I wanted but could not find in the machines currently offered in a price range I can afford. Here is a quick list of features.
    -Gantry style design for maximum stiffness and strength.
    -Completely welded using 4x4 and 2x2 3/16" wall steel steel.
    -Powder coated to be chemical and impact resistant.
    - 80/20 Multi piece Slotted aluminum table for easy maintenance.
    - Dual 20mm fully supported hardened steel bearing rails on X-Y Axis, with 4 SBR Linear bearing blocks per side on X.
    -2510 Ball screws and Bearing supports.
    -Fully enclosed using 3/8" Plexi-Glass on right and left sides (removable) with 3/8" doors on both ends for easy access.
    - Aluminum Diamond Plate interior floor, corner caps and gantry detail.
    - All stainless hardware and fasteners throughout.
    -3HP variable speed spindle with digital control (Hertz made in Turkey).0012mm run out!
    -12 Gauge VFD (variable frequency drive) fully shielded Cable.
    -3/4" cast aluminum tool plate Z movement, with a full 12" of travel.
    -5150 Aluminum return Pan/ flood table for maximum corrosion protection.
    This machines offers both air and closed loop liquid coolant for long tool life and the ultimate job flexibility.
    - 900 gph stainless coolant pump offering up to 80 psi of pressure.
    - 30 Gallon polyurethane coolant tank for maximum mold resistance
    - stainless cone filtration.
    - adjustable coolant pressure return valve.
    - Spindle air supply via 1/2 ID air hose (300psi max)with adjustable nozzles for chip clearing controlled by stainless Illuminated LED switches (1 momentary/1 Latching and electric 3/4" max flow air solenoid valve.
    - Custom designed 220 Volt motion control electronics with closed loop "Easy servo" (110v)motors and matched digital drives made by Leadshine USA. All assembled and tested by (KVM Innovations)
    -LED table flood lights 2X 930 Lumens for a total of 1860 to make sure you can see your work.
    - 2 E-stop bottons for max safety.
    -Hard limits on all axis for added safety.
    -External 220V breaker
    - 6 Axis Hand held Pendant: controls all 3 axis as well as spindle speed, jog speed and emergency stop.
    -Hand Held wifi key board with joy stick curses control.
    -23" Touch screen LCD Computer for easy viewing and control of Machine, Swivel mounted arm for convince.

I have been thinking about making these and offering them for sale, but have really made my mind up yet.
    Attachment 249684Attachment 249686Attachment 249688Attachment 249690
    Hello,
    I recently got the same machine model, but it comes formatted, what possibility is there that you shared the xml file to me. Thanks!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by sierradx View Post
    Hello,
    I recently got the same machine model, but it comes formatted, what possibility is there that you shared the xml file to me. Thanks!

Unfortunately we no longer make this machine because we could not find enough interest in it. good luck

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12