World's smallest CNC dust shoe

Thread: World's smallest CNC dust shoe

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default World's smallest CNC dust shoe

I thought I'd post this as inspiration to others trying to accomplish clean routing with their miniature CNC router.

I have tried several approaches to a dust shoe, but they all tended to be bulky and limited my use of an already very small table. So I mostly directed a hose by hand (ugh!).

So I came up with this approach using some PVC pipe (Menards actually carried S&D in 3/4" pipe, which has a larger internal cross-section than schedule 40).

The air movement past the bit helps to cool the bit. I can touch the bit immediately after 20-30 minutes of use and it is hardly even what I'd call warm.

Nothing escapes while routing wood, anything launched by the bit is grabbed by the shoe. Some debris is left in pockets, but as long as it doesn't go all over the place, I don't care.

I will probably make a second one with a brush bottom for when I work with aluminum as the aluminum chips can be trouble to contain.

This is all PVC. I used a 1" to 3/4" Tee to make the bit surround, two elbows, and the S&D. I had to do some minor trimming of the tee and elbows to make it all fit.

But I'm sure glad I don't have to hold onto that hose any more.

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails World's smallest CNC dust shoe-photo-1-jpg   World's smallest CNC dust shoe-photo-2-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: World's smallest CNC dust shoe

Nice!

For a brush shoe you might want to consider one of those old round vacuum cleaner nozzles with the built in brush. It is hard to tell from the pic if it would be too big.

Also I hope you didn't glue stuff together every where. Sooner or later you will get a plugged up line so being able to disassemble at least some of the joints is ideal.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: World's smallest CNC dust shoe

There is a joint where I can take it apart so I can change bits and clear any plugs.

For a brush, I thought of taking another "tee" and then drilling small holes in the bottom edge, into which I would glue bristles I yank from a door sweep.