Started Cnc Router project - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Started Cnc Router project

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Started Cnc Router project

Quote Originally Posted by Beachcustoms View Post
    Nope still no worky worky. this is what I was trying to send you, I just didn't want everyone to know how much of a idiot I am
    That isn't good, I would like to have that feature working. It is possible that there is an issue on your end, you might try to PM somebody else just to make sure your account works. When I get access to a real Internet connection I will respond to the support ticket that there is still an issue. Now that I think about it it has been months since I've gotten a PM so I don't know how long this has been an issue.
    Like I said the wiring isn't my strong suit. I have a few questions, my power supplies are 48v, 110v or 220v would you run them with 110 or 220?
    Like all things engineering that depends. The first question that comes to mind is how large is your spindle and is it running off a three phase drive? If it is running off a three phase drive the easy solution is to implement a 220 VAC machine. However even there you can run a 220 VAC system with the neutral and still have your 110 VAC.

Be aware if you are running a machine off 110 and it is pushing a large router around for a spindle, you could easily exceed the current availbel in a 15 amp or even a 20 amp socket which may lead to tripping of the breaker in the main panel.
    110 would be easiest that way I can wire the 12v and 5v power supplies using the same source.
    It should be the easy solution assuming everything is suitable for 110.
    What size fuses should be used between the power supply to the driver?
    Generally you size fuses for motor & drivers to protect the motor. So figure on maximum motor current. To get that number for AC and DC motors try this article: Parker Electromechanical Automation FAQ Site | Aries Drive | Selecting a Fuse

For steppers there are a few problems with trying to protect the motor or even the drive with a fuse. Most stepper drives current limit when they are working correctly so you never generate an over load or inrush during normal operation. Also make sure your drives aren't already fused. Further the manufacture may have a recommended fuse size, if so go with that. Beyond that successfully protecting a drive or stepper with a fuses is difficult, generally by the time the fuse blows the damage is done. Individual fusing of drives does help in localizing failures so if there is no manufactures recommendation or supplied fuse I would fuse the drive for its rating. You may get differing opinions but you need to realize that a stepper drive is inherently current limiting.

When it comes to the pin selections the wiring diagram that was supplied leaves much to the imagination. I asked them some questions but didn't get much help. I assume once I get mach3 I can set the pin location using the software.

carlton
    At the moment I fogot what your breakout board is. However to save yourself a lot of grief wire it up as Mach 3 expects it to be wired up.

Downloads
    Uploads

I PM'd another member with no problems.

so you are saying with my large and heavy gantry it would be best to wire the power supplies with 220 to prevent overloads and tripping of the breaker? That is no issue just trying to save myself some extra wiring.

I am running a 2.2KW router which will have its own power source, separate from the control cabinet.

I will ask about the use of a inline fuse and if there are internal fuses in each drive.

Thanks for the help

Downloads
    Uploads

I PM'd another member with no problems.

so you are saying with my large and heavy gantry it would be best to wire the power supplies with 220 to prevent overloads and tripping of the breaker? That is no issue just trying to save myself some extra wiring.
    No not at all. What I'm saying is that your spindle drive may well define what is the best power solution for your machine.
    I am running a 2.2KW router which will have its own power source, separate from the control cabinet.
    That isn't a good idea at all. Your machines controls should be derived from a single power supply. I you are to realize the full potential of a 2.2 KW spindle you will be better off with a 220 VAC supply to the machine.

I will ask about the use of a inline fuse and if there are internal fuses in each drive.
    Generally you want drives, power supplies and like fused on the supply side.

Thanks for the help

Downloads
    Uploads

Ok so I should run 220vac with a neutral to the control enclosure using a 30 amp breaker, the 220 will power the power supplies and vfd (spindle). then use one leg and neutral to power all the 110v stuff (was told to add a 15 amp breaker between the 110 leg and terminal block, what are your thoughts on that). Thanks again for the help, any luck with getting your messenger fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by wizard View Post
    No not at all. What I'm saying is that your spindle drive may well define what is the best power solution for your machine.

That isn't a good idea at all. Your machines controls should be derived from a single power supply. I you are to realize the full potential of a 2.2 KW spindle you will be better off with a 220 VAC supply to the machine.

Generally you want drives, power supplies and like fused on the supply side.
    I forgot to ask about the fuses, forgive me I am still learning, why would I need fuses on the supply side if I have a breaker.

Downloads
    Uploads

I forgot to ask about the fuses, forgive me I am still learning, why would I need fuses on the supply side if I have a breaker.
    Fuses are faster and are sized for the load. Your panel circuit breakers are a fail safe as a last resort, they are not that accurate or fast acting. The fuses will protect your more sensitive components.

Downloads
    Uploads

You might want to think about an electricians help.

Ok so I should run 220vac with a neutral to the control enclosure using a 30 amp breaker, the 220 will power the power supplies and vfd (spindle). then use one leg and neutral to power all the 110v stuff (was told to add a 15 amp breaker between the 110 leg and terminal block, what are your thoughts on that). Thanks again for the help, any luck with getting your messenger fixed?
    I can't design over the web. Beyond that I still know nothing about your spindle drive, in all likelihood your spindle drive will define what sort of power you need to supply to the machine.

The idea is to fuse each device at its current rating so if it fails or is overloaded it will blow the fuse for that device. This does a couple of things for you, if a power supply is overloaded for example a fuse --MIGHT-- blow before the supply smokes itself. The other thing it does for you is provides for fault isolation, if you trip the breaker to the entire machine you may have no idea what caused the fault in the first place.

As for fusing "saving" electronics that is highly variable and depends upon how rugged the electronics are, how closely the fuse is set to actual loads and other factors. Unfortunately with today's electronics fuses are often NOT fast enough to save the electronics from faults. Given that it is still a good idea to fuse your electronic components.

Downloads
    Uploads

Oh ya by the way PM still not working.

[QUOTE=wizard;1555728]You might want to think about an electricians help.

Well if I used that approach I wouldn't be where I am today. I plan to tackle this myself, hopefully with some help from you guys. I have a friend that is a cnc mechanic who owns his own repair business, problem is he is 1 1/2 hours away. I plan to have him over to check my wiring before I put power to it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12