idler pinion gear purpose

Thread: idler pinion gear purpose

Downloads
    Uploads

Default idler pinion gear purpose

I'm designing a larger router and using my existing router for design cues. It's a pretty stout router so I trust that the design is sound.

The X axis only has one pinion gear that drives to the rack. It has Hiwin bearings mounted vertical (parallel to the Z axis).

On each side the Y axis has two pinion gears. One is a drive gear and the other an idler gear located about 4" away. It has Hiwin bearings mounted horizontal (parallel to the table).

Is the reason for having the extra idler pinion gear because the horizontally mounted Hiwin bearings can't take a lot of "lifting" or vertical load so it helps the machine distribute the load in torsion about the X axis? Other reason to have two sets of pinion gears on this axis but only one pinion gear on the X axis?

Is having a double set of pinion gears on one rack normal for larger machines?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

My guess would be to help eliminate backlash. Wouldn't suprise me if there is some sort of drag being applied to that second idler. or that it is being pulled towards the drive pinion.

People are building & selling routers which have the gantry held down by gravity, and the spring tension on the pinion gears! I suspect that is the case with your machine!
    Does it use V-Groove bearings?

www.widgitmaster.com
    It's not what you take away, it's what you are left with that counts!

Downloads
    Uploads

No, Hiwin linear slides. I suspect nlancaster is right and it's for backlash.

Pictures are needed, less we keep guessing!