Maze CAM - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Maze CAM

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Jerry,

Looks great and I am interested in the finished product!
    I suggest that you can probably get slightly smaller balls than the ball slot cutter (e.g 12mm balls, 1/2" cutter) to avoid doing multiple passes.

7xCNC.com - CNC info for the minilathe (7x10, 7x12, 7x14, 7x16)

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by JerryBurks View Post
    -Snip-

However....I could generate a set of gcode files right away for a specific set of parameters, e.g. a one-sided orthogonal maze of 8"x12" outer dimensions to be cut with a 1/4" end mill and a 1/2" ball end plunge cutter. That would be easy to replicate on most CNC machines. Please let me know if that would be useful and I can post some files.
    That would be better than watching you have all the fun.

CarveOne
    http://www.carveonecncwoodcraft.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Way to one up us all again!

Great work!

My CRP 48 x 48 build [URL=]http://www.cnczone.com/forums/open_source_cnc_machine_designs/144173-crp_4x4.html[/URL]

Downloads
    Uploads

Here it is

You will find three .tap gcode files in the zip:

mazegtopslot.tap - to be done with a 1/4" end mill. This cuts the start and end holes as well removes most material from the slots
    mazegtopfinb.tap - to be done with a 1/2" ball end plunge router bit, will create the undercut for a 1/2" steel ball. (going with a 12mm ball to avoid the multiple cuts would shorten the machine time not that much, 2 passes must be done anyway because the bit must return from dead ends and multiple cuts will remove some of the fuzz). You can do this file with a normal 1/2" ballnose as well but won't have an undercut that way.

mazegtopstap.tap - optional, to be done with a small (e.g. 1/16" or 1.6mm) drill bit. This will create two diagonally offset holes at entry and exit and you can glue a wire staple in to block the holes

The blank should be 12" (300mm) in x-direction and 8.5" (215mm) in y-direction or more, at least 5/8" (16mm) thick or better 3/4" (19mm).

Zero is in the center of the top surface for all 3 files. I did not let it go too fast but if you have a slow machine you may want to edit the feed rate lines. Do an air cut first to check how it works. I did not have a chance to cut these files myself, so no guarantee is given.

It is a simple 10 x 14 cell one sided maze but might make a nice looking toy if cut from good hardwood. Plywood is not recommended, the ball end bit may rip the glue layer. I did not try MDF yet, it may or may not work.

Box Joint and Dovetail CAM software here: WWW.TAILMAKER.NET

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Maze CAM

Any word on this Jerry?

Downloads
    Uploads

Oh my....I am embarrassed. I refined the functionality to make some more really cool mazes, see below. This is a wavy surface double sided maze with a custom outside shape (supposedly the outline of the State of Kentucky). The software generates the gcode for the channel slots and undercuts as well as the alignment holes for side flipping, the holes for the the transition blocker clips, the perimeter cutout and the perimeter chamfer. The wave surface warping is actually done in a separate step with another piece of software. Such a complicated one is not really practical for production though, 3 hours with 10 tool changes.....1/2" ballnose, 90-degree v-bit, 1/16" drill, 1/4" end mill, 3/8" ball plunge bit.... all from 2 sides. But a single side flat maze can be done in 20 minutes with 2 bits (or 3 with chamfer).

And I did really start on the user interface. Honestly....

But then I got an idea about a new smaller specialized CNC machine (still brooding about the details) and actually I dug out my project from last year for a void-less flat machined finger/box joint software.
    I believe I am suffering from serious technological ADHD

So, no promises about the maze software timing. But I am quite sure it will be this year.....

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

kewl looking puzzel.

I'll just be here to prod buttock now and then

Downloads
    Uploads

Jerry.. amazing work..I first saw your this maze in Talkshopbot forum. I am also a programmer but i salute your programming skills. Can you share the screenshot of GUI?

http://free3dscans.blogspot.com/ http://my-woodcarving.blogspot.com/
    http://my-diysolarwind.blogspot.com/

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Khalid View Post
    Jerry.. amazing work..I first saw your this maze in Talkshopbot forum. I am also a programmer but i salute your programming skills. Can you share the screenshot of GUI?
    Thanks Khalid, just to prove that I did work on the GUI here is a screenshot. So it is there and the actual maze algorithm and graphical display are implemented....But the GUI variables are not yet complete and linked to the g-code generation software. I also need to implement a way of storing the complete Maze data (not just the control parameters) so that one does not lose a nice result when exiting. Nothing difficult anymore but tedious work.

Downloads
    Uploads

wow.. Thats a hell of work ...

http://free3dscans.blogspot.com/ http://my-woodcarving.blogspot.com/
    http://my-diysolarwind.blogspot.com/

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The link to the zip file seems to be dead.

Downloads
    Uploads

Sorry, I removed the zip file. I thought nobody needs it anymore. But it was anyway just an output sample. I have spent the last couple of months (on and off) on my finger/box-joint software and the maze program was put on the back burner. But I am quite confident it will be available sometimes, well, maybe in a few months

If somebody really wants to try I can post another sample output.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast