New Machine Build Building a Solsylva V-Bearing CNC - My first Foray - Page 4

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Building a Solsylva V-Bearing CNC - My first Foray

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Building a Solsylva V-Bearing CNC - My first Foray

Quote Originally Posted by keastab View Post
    I used the plans as a start but had to jump up to a 1" pinion and might have gotten it a bit too tight, since I only moved it up less than 1/2 the radius difference from 3/4 pinion to 1". we'll see if it wears in and quiets up a bit. as for chips, I was worried about that myself in order to keep chips out of the rack I'm putting 2 idlers on the very ends of the rack and hooking up a 1 inch wide rubber/fiberglass strip hooked to each since if my side plates (think of it as a "non" powered belt drive system) that hides the rack except right at the side plates. I'm waiting for the cut to length rubber belt to come in (plus 4 bearings and an electrical coupling that the bearings will be pressed into). and it just might get anchored to the C channel instead of on the side plates. That way the belt doesn't make any turns and I can use the existing holes to mount it to the bottom of it.

Attachment 315002

the black lines area is the r&P and belt cover

I have not received my 2 turn per screw so I am limited to what the Y can do @ 140 ipm got a 4tpi one in there now. X cranks up to about 600 before it stalls, backed down to 500 to be safe and Z is still my old slow one 16 turns per inch unit. (soon to be 4tpi when the parts arrive) but it is still easily 10 times faster than the original machine. if I can just get the X smoother and less noisy I'll be happy to take it back apart and paint it

still saving up for the vacuum motors to arrive from lighthouse motors
    I'm guessing it is too tight then. can you move it by turning the large pulley by hand? Is it difficult?

I'm really interested in the chip guard you're making. Very inventive.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by manofmanyhats View Post
    I'm guessing it is too tight then. can you move it by turning the large pulley by hand? Is it difficult?

I'm really interested in the chip guard you're making. Very inventive.
    it takes a little effort to turn the large pulley. if I take the belts off the steppers it is a lot easier to push or turn the pulley. when I push the gantry it only moves a couple feet before stopping. it will not go the full run. I just changed as a test to a grade 8 stub shaft bolt on the both the X axis steppers instead of the long rod. that made it much quieter than with the long rod but did give me some play. I'll have to figure out how to add some more bearing support since it isn't @ 90 degrees to the rack unless I really crank down on the belt tightness it is around 88 degrees , so I figure adding another bearing block on the stub shaft can't hurt.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Very nice build !
    I wonder about the v-bearing with the eccentric you put at inside. So have you put them only on 1 side of the rail ?

And by using the metal one, is the eccentric are really needed ? I think it might need to be re-adjusted only if wear happen on the rail guid itself.. isn't it ?

Thanks and very great one!

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Docop View Post
    Very nice build !
    I wonder about the v-bearing with the eccentric you put at inside. So have you put them only on 1 side of the rail ?

And by using the metal one, is the eccentric are really needed ? I think it might need to be re-adjusted only if wear happen on the rail guid itself.. isn't it ?

Thanks and very great one!
    Thanks. All the bearings have eccentrics. I don't have to adjust them often, just when putting the machine together then a couple of years later.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have purchased the solsylva 48x24 plans however I dont have the plans for the aluminum. Is that something you designed based off of the plans or have they upgraded the plans since I bought mine a few years ago?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by jtdouglas View Post
    I have purchased the solsylva 48x24 plans however I dont have the plans for the aluminum. Is that something you designed based off of the plans or have they upgraded the plans since I bought mine a few years ago?
    I gues they did upgrade the plans since I used some of the stuff from V bearing plans and the original 24x48 pipe plans

on the 24x48 plans if you go to the bottom of the plans it says you can use the patterns with small alterations for aluminum. that setup will still use pipe and roller bearings.
    My plans were a blend of the 48x24 and the new V bearing models . in the 5 plans PDF from his site. but bigger. my newest one is a blend of cncrouterparts cold rolled steel and V-bearing plans blend.

since I just completed the sale of my Michigan house and moved all the stuff here in my forever home (talk about crowded going from a 2900 ft house to a 1600ft house sucks!) now if I can just finish sorting out the 2 compete garages moved into 1 and have a reasonable space to work in I'll be happy.

Building a Solsylva V-Bearing CNC - My first Foray-4x8-layout-jpg

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Building a Solsylva V-Bearing CNC - My first Foray-4x8-layout-1-jpg  

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234